It's over.

ian gian g Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
'Passed with an 865 last Monday. I'm really pleased that it's over. I found the material uninspiring and the test was horrible. I thought I had everything covered, but so many of the questions came down to at least two plausible answers. When I finished the test I was convinced I had failed.
I read the 'All-in-one' exam guide (very good) and the Sybex book (not as good). I delved deeper in to a lot of stuff using Wikipedia and a bunch of security related sites. Also hundreds of practice questions, none of which much resembled the actual test questions. I think what I found so hard was the abstract nature of the material. Such a broad range of topics. At least with MS or Cisco, you can set up labs, virtual or otherwise, and get some hands-on.
Anyway, that's that. I'll take a break and press on with CCNA-Security. My standard CCNA expires next year, so I thought the Cisco security track would fit in well with the CompTia studies, plus renew my CCNA for another 3 years. Anyone have any thoughts about the Security+ to Cisco track?

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ian g wrote: »
    'Passed with an 865 last Monday. I'm really pleased that it's over. I found the material uninspiring and the test was horrible. I thought I had everything covered, but so many of the questions came down to at least two plausible answers. When I finished the test I was convinced I had failed.
    I read the 'All-in-one' exam guide (very good) and the Sybex book (not as good). I delved deeper in to a lot of stuff using Wikipedia and a bunch of security related sites. Also hundreds of practice questions, none of which much resembled the actual test questions. I think what I found so hard was the abstract nature of the material. Such a broad range of topics. At least with MS or Cisco, you can set up labs, virtual or otherwise, and get some hands-on.
    Anyway, that's that. I'll take a break and press on with CCNA-Security. My standard CCNA expires next year, so I thought the Cisco security track would fit in well with the CompTia studies, plus renew my CCNA for another 3 years. Anyone have any thoughts about the Security+ to Cisco track?

Congrats.

As far as the S+ to CCNA:S I am actually studying for both now (and I plan to take them both next month). I think the material complements each other. My study materials are my CCNA lab, Authorized Self Study Guide (for CCNA:S), Security+ (Darrils book) exam cram (for CCNA:S) and google for my various other needs. I also plan on picking up transcender for both test sometime at the end of the month.
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrat, this is only the beginning of the security road
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • mohcommohcom Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ian,

Congratulations, well done! The feedback you provided about the test is helpful. It's always nice to mention the material studied for the test, the ones that helped and the ones that did not. This makes it easier for someone like me as I am still looking for additional resources to prepare me for the exam.
    - CCNP (Work In Progress)
    - CCNA
    - CCENT
    - Security+
    - B.S. Computer Science (Info. Systems Security)
  • GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ian g wrote: »

Congrats! I think because the questions are a bit "out there"... when taking the test its easy to 2nd guess yourself and feel like your failing it. Two things to think about, is one you passed it. And two is that even though the test was hard, you knew the security topics well enough to pass it..
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice Pass icon_wink.gif
    Free Reading : History Books
  • worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice pass indeed. I hope to be right there with you in about 30 days.

Are you planning on using the Cisco Press books or something else for the CCNA-Sec?
    Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO
  • ian gian g Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    worldmac1 wrote: »
    Nice pass indeed. I hope to be right there with you in about 30 days.

Are you planning on using the Cisco Press books or something else for the CCNA-Sec?
    I've got the 'Official Exam Certification Guide' from Ciscopress. It seems like a good book from what I've read so far. The Exam guide books served me well when I was studying for CCNA.
    I'm still in touch with my instructor from community College, and he's letting me come in and use the lab, which is a great help. Also, I hear the new Packet Tracer software is pretty good for a virtual lab envirnonment.
  • eduromereduromer Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCNA Security at least when i took it (just when it was released) it was a disappointment in one hand, i mean, i didnt got to much time to study, i read the book, and used the CBT Nuggets, since my company pay for the exam, and didnt give me much time to study (barely over 3 weeks) i did my best but i thought i'd probably failed, result, the exam its really easy, its common sense, and the lab was only a port security command if they havent changed it its really easy, nothing compare to the CCSP icon_neutral.gif
    "Almost..... is as good as Nothing"