R&S written v4

GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
Has anyone here taken the new exam? I can't remember if Turgon did (and too lazy to search it).

I ordered the new book for it, although its out of stock already and have to wait for it. Has anyone got their hands on it? Looks like it was published 3 days ago haha.

I imagine its 95% the same as the last book, with some add material on MPLS.

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I pre-ordered it 3 weeks ago, its scheduled to arrive tomorrow! yahoo im excited. I think the book has most of the same material as the last but is updated and probably better structured for the new v4 test. I believe the changes in v4 exam was warranted enough to have a new updated CCIE written book. Plus there is 300 additional pages of new material. I wouldnt feel prepared for the new v4 written knowing that I didnt study those additional 300 pages...this is from cisco press.

"The CCIE Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide, Fourth Ed., covers all of the topics of the 4.0 written exam. In this updated edition there are content and alignment changes based on the revised v4.0 exam. The newest edition includes 300 pages of new content covering the following topics:

Network optimization
    Troubleshooting
    BGP routing policies
    Expanded QoS coverage
    Expanded WAN coverage
    Expanded multicast coverage
    Expanded MPLS coverage
    IPv6 redistribution"
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I pre-ordered one -- and got mine -- since I figured it would help with the Open Ended Question trivia part of the lab.

I've noticed the Optimized Edge Routing -- and they did add in a mention of troubleshooting....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I pre-ordered one -- and got mine -- since I figured it would help with the Open Ended Question trivia part of the lab.

I've noticed the Optimized Edge Routing -- and they did add in a mention of troubleshooting....

Is there any more depth on the current topics? Chrisone pointed out some "Extended" coverage of some topics. I've been reading the v3 guide, but I can supplement the extra topics with other material if the majority of the current topics are the same coverage. I'd rather not spend another $100 for a book that doesn't really go into much depth like the v3 one.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Has anyone here taken the new exam? I can't remember if Turgon did (and too lazy to search it).

I ordered the new book for it, although its out of stock already and have to wait for it. Has anyone got their hands on it? Looks like it was published 3 days ago haha.

I imagine its 95% the same as the last book, with some add material on MPLS.

I did the old one.
    Used odoms book.
    odom test engine.
    Boson test.

Took a couple of punts to get through, just missed the first time out by a few points.
    Work hard and prosper!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is there any more depth on the current topics?
    There isn't a Troubleshooting Chapter which is what I was expecting since the last time I looked at the V4 Written & Lab Blueprints they were almost identical to the point that I thought someone copied the Lab Blueprint to the Written Blueprint.

The only "new" troubleshooting I've noticed so far is a new 15 page troubleshooting section added to the renamed IGP Route Redistribution, Route Summarization, Default Routing, and Troubleshooting Chapter (chapter 9 in the 4th edition, chapter 10 without the troubleshooting in the 3rd edition).

And there is a Troubleshooting Complex Layer 2 Issues section added to the Spanning Tree Chapter (chapter 3) -- which accounts for about 10 of the 15 or 16 new LAN Switching Section pages (with a SPAN/RSPAN section seeming to take up the rest).

The old RIPv2 chapter is out and there are now a Fundamentals of BGP Operations chapter and BGP Routing Policies chapter in the 4th edition, rather than the single 3rd edition BGP chapter.

The old QoS Shaping and Policing chapter is now Shaping, Policing, and Link Fragmentation.

The Wide-Area Networks section now is a Wide-Area Networks chapter rather than a Frame Relay chapter. But it looks like they just added a Frame Relay LFI Using Multilink PPP (MLP) part to the Frame Relay Configuration section -- and added a PPP section in front of the old Frame Relay stuff.

Looking at the more detailed table of contents, nothing new jumps out comparing the OSPF and EIGRP chapters -- but there may be about 10 or so more pages in each of the newer chapters (if my math on the fly is correct). MPLS may have about 20 more pages. Last numbered page in the 3rd edition (back in the index) is 933. 4th edition last numbered page 1016.

So far there seems to be just enough new stuff to be annoying and to cause an anxiety attack if you decide not to "upgrade"
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Thanks for the thorough response. I'm not sure if that is enough added material for me to upgrade the book. Then again I will probably feel that anxiety you speak of and end up getting it anyway :)
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.