Partial credit?

mohcommohcom Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Many multiple-choice questions (as seen in many practice exams) for the Security+ exam require more than one answer. If you were asked to select 3 answers, and you select two that are correct, and one that isn't... would you get partial credit, or will you lose the entire score for that question?
- CCNP (Work In Progress)
- CCNA
- CCENT
- Security+
- B.S. Computer Science (Info. Systems Security)

Comments

• matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    mohcom wrote: »
    Many multiple-choice questions (as seen in many practice exams) for the Security+ exam require more than one answer. If you were asked to select 3 answers, and you select two that are correct, and one that isn't... would you get partial credit, or will you lose the entire score for that question?

As far I can tell, you get them all right or it is wrong.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • mohcommohcom Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That sucks... I've postponed my exam date to the first week of January to better prepare for the exam.
    - CCNA
    - CCENT
    - Security+
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    That sucks... ....

??
    Curious why you'd say this?

You'd think it is ok if you hired someone to work on your network and they only partially repaired it? Would you still pay them the full rate? Or expect they fix it properly? (not to put it into context....they only 'paritally' secured your network...how's that going to work for you?)

And yes, postponing is likely a good idea. You can review the objectives and ensure you know these inside and out.

You'll be ready!

Which books are you using?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    You'd think it is ok if you hired someone to work on your network and they only partially repaired it? Would you still pay them the full rate? Or expect they fix it properly? (not to put it into context....they only 'paritally' secured your network...how's that going to work for you?)

Ok I see your point, and no, I would not want someone I hire to do something and only do it partially. I agree with you... I was just wondering if the certification exam follows the same rules as school exams, where partial credit is possible. The reason it sucks is because this exam requires a high score to pass, so missing one part of a question but answering it 'mostly correctly' should not make one's entire answer wrong and be given a 0 for that question.

Plantwiz wrote:
    Which books are you using?

I used several study material including an iPhone app I purchased from the Apple Store called SY0-201 Security+ Exam Prep by a company called Tech2000. I'm not sure how good this one is because there weren't any reviews on it, but for $5 even if it helps me get one question answered on the exam then it's well worth the $5.

I also ordered Darill Gibson's book from Amazon and it shipped today so hopefully it will be here after tomorrow. Finally, I continue to use practice exams on the Internet, including the ones on this website (TechExams).
    - CCNA
    - CCENT
    - Security+
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I was just wondering if the certification exam follows the same rules as school exams, where partial credit is possible.

Every school I have attended, I have never gotten partial credit on a question that required multiple answers. It was always 'All or Nothing'. Cisco does offer partial credit on their sim questions I believe, which did surprise me alot.

I would not sweat it man. Just make sure you prepare yourself on the exam objectives and you should be fine. icon_thumright.gif
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
    Right... I do have a good background in network security... I'm bad when it comes to cryptography though, but i'll review all topics involved. Thanks for the advise.
    - CCNA
    - CCENT
    - Security+
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plantwiz wrote: »

In another context I believe this job exists and is called "Congressman".

MS
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also ordered Darill Gibson's book from Amazon and it shipped today so hopefully it will be here after tomorrow. Finally, I continue to use practice exams on the Internet, including the ones on this website (TechExams).

His book is pretty good. I learned something literally during the first couple of pages although some of it so far has been review from the other books I'm reading.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    In another context I believe this job exists and is called "Congressman".

MS

icon_lol.gif Hey, my Christmas wish for Santa is that they all go away...
    knwminus wrote: »
    His book is pretty good. I learned something literally during the first couple of pages although some of it so far has been review from the other books I'm reading.

Cool, that's good to hear. I got the book yesterday... I didn't know it was that big! I'll be reading it for the next week or so till the date of the exam and we'll see how it goes :)
    - CCNA
    - CCENT
    - Security+