MCDST next step?

DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
Hello all,

New to the forums here and had some questions maybe someone could answer. I have completed my A+ and Network+ and was wondering where I go from here. I work in a data center but we also have help desk during certain hours. i figured I would wait until the new server+ to come out next year and start on some M$ certs.

Should I go with MCDST and upgrade? 70-271, 70-272, and 70-621? Or should I just start out with the Windows 7 exams and skip MCDST? Something completely different? lol

Thanks

Comments

• DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    Forgot to mention that my work still uses XP as the main OS. I believe they are testing out 7 but I'm sure it wont roll out for a while since they take their sweet time. icon_wink.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're using XP, you should probably start with that one. Those exams are on the easier side (compared to something like 270), so you shouldn't have too much trouble with them. You'll probably get through the upgrades before they roll out a new OS.

Welcome to TE!
    Thanks Dynamik, I'll start focusing on 271. I setup a virtual machine with Windows 7 so that should be helpful later on since I haven't used much of Vista/7.
  • ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like you and I are on the same page, just wondering, what king of text book or exams material are you using or will be using for the MCDST 70-271? I have the Microsoft Second edition MCDST Textbook, pretty well detailed and put together for a self paced study, but I am sure there are some other textbook and practice materials that I could use.

When are you planning to take your exams?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I took the 271 I used the MS Press book, Exam Cram, and the XP Resource Kit. I completely over studies for the exam and scored in the high 900s. This helped me though, as I was preparing for the 270 a year later. I took only a few weeks to do a review for the 270 and passed in the high 800s.

I also found that the MeasureUp questions and the questions in the Exam Cram book were harder than those on the actual exam.

Edit: I took the exam in 2006.
    Looks like you and I are on the same page, just wondering, what king of text book or exams material are you using or will be using for the MCDST 70-271? I have the Microsoft Second edition MCDST Textbook, pretty well detailed and put together for a self paced study, but I am sure there are some other textbook and practice materials that I could use.

When are you planning to take your exams?

I just recently got the Microsoft Textbooks for 271 and 272 but just finished only the 1st chapter so far. Probably I go through so practice exams but I don't think I use any other books though.

I'm kind of at a slow pace at the moment but I would like to get both the 271-272 done if 2-3 months but who knows what motivation I might have :)
  • eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Drovor wrote: »
    I just recently got the Microsoft Textbooks for 271 and 272 but just finished only the 1st chapter so far. Probably I go through so practice exams but I don't think I use any other books though.

I'm kind of at a slow pace at the moment but I would like to get both the 271-272 done if 2-3 months but who knows what motivation I might have :)

I took 16 months in between 271 and 272. I took 271 the day that I completed the classroom training that my company sent me to. They asked if I wanted to take 272 the same day, but I demurred. I kept picking up the book, but could never get past the first chapter or two. Finally I decided to hell with the book and I registered for a Monday test the Thursday before. Took a practice test, read over the two chapters I did poorly on and got something like an 834. Not the best score, but I passed because I stopped limiting myself.

If you're familiar with XP and you have the practice test that comes with the MS Press book or Transcender or whatever, study whatever you're deficient in and bite the bullet. The test isn't that hard, as long as you've taken a moment to familiarize yourself with what will be on the exam.

Best of luck to you.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    The XP test was pretty easy. I recommend the Transcender as it has a great question and answer combination that teaches you why the answer is correct and not just give you a test simulator but teaching you the material.

Welcome to TE.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since you are still using XP, then I would do the MCDST, then hit the upgrade to Windows 7. I don't think many companies would waste resources going to Vista, then 7.
    The 7 cert would also count as credit towards an MCSA or MCITP cert later on, too.
    eserfeliz wrote: »
    I took 16 months in between 271 and 272. I took 271 the day that I completed the classroom training that my company sent me to. They asked if I wanted to take 272 the same day, but I demurred. I kept picking up the book, but could never get past the first chapter or two. Finally I decided to hell with the book and I registered for a Monday test the Thursday before. Took a practice test, read over the two chapters I did poorly on and got something like an 834. Not the best score, but I passed because I stopped limiting myself.

If you're familiar with XP and you have the practice test that comes with the MS Press book or Transcender or whatever, study whatever you're deficient in and bite the bullet. The test isn't that hard, as long as you've taken a moment to familiarize yourself with what will be on the exam.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your response.. I know I just need to do it haha I did the same with the Network+(mainly because the Sybex book was DRY). I figure once I pass 271 I'll be able to take 272 shortly after.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Since you are still using XP, then I would do the MCDST, then hit the upgrade to Windows 7. I don't think many companies would waste resources going to Vista, then 7.
    The 7 cert would also count as credit towards an MCSA or MCITP cert later on, too.

I'm hoping to take care of the MCDST as soon as possible. I can go straight from MCDST to the Win7 upgrade and not have to take the Vista upgrade right?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As soon as MS gets the upgrade exam ready...if they do. I heard the 70-682 was going to cover that along with the Help Desk Institute exam, but I think that changed.
    It shouldn't be too hard a jump from XP to 7
    Awesome, so hopefully by the time I up to that point they will have it ready.