Starting this Today

Comments

• impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, that's right, know, make more and be more, takes some time but you can get it. Perseverance.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Are there alot of overlaps with CCNA: S and ISCW, if that is the case I might as well take both back 2 back.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are there alot of overlaps with CCNA: S and ISCW, if that is the case I might as well take both back 2 back.

I just picked up the ISCW and Lab manual from a friend. There is obviously a lot more on the ISCW than the CCNA:S but there is some overlap.
    Havent posted for a while. I got behind in my studies for the CCNA:S so I decided to push my test date back a week to Jan 23. I also made some big changes to my overall cert plan and cert direction for 2010. SInce I want to do so many different things, security has become an interest of mine so for the next year or 2 I plan to learn as much as I can about Network Security. I plan to lay my foundation by studying Cisco/Juniper/Checkpoint Router/Switch/Firewall/Vpn technologies. My next certs are listed my sig.

Getting back on topic I will finish the book probably today or tomorrow. I have started working in the lab manual and I will finish the first 2 to tonight.
    Next up, Identifying weak areas, CBT nuggets from the ISCW on IPSEC and SSL VPN, Transcender, and maybe reviewing some topics in exam cram.
    Just focus in one exam and you will be covering more material very fast. In my case I want to go with Windows 7 after this to complete my MCSA and later linux but I know that if I begin to study for Windows 7 my CCNA:S will slooooooooooooow down.

impelse wrote: »
    Just focus in one exam and you will be covering more material very fast. In my case I want to go with Windows 7 after this to complete my MCSA and later linux but I know that if I begin to study for Windows 7 my CCNA:S will slooooooooooooow down.

The thing is, I need to get CCNA:S, L+, and S+ done before I go back to school (March). The Security+ Material so far is much easier than the CCNA:S for me to conceptualize.

After that I will just be focusing on 1 exam at a time. How far along are you with you studies?
    I do not know how much time you study and how much exp you have in each technology, but if you dedicate the full time to one exam you could do it in 1 or 1.5 month/exam

I do not know how much time you study and how much exp you have in each technology, but if you dedicate the full time to one exam you could do it in 1 or 1.5 month/exam

That might end up happening pretty soon. S+ seems like cake but CCNA:S has some tricky parts.
    I feel that I am learning a lot with ccna:s. I study a looooooot Security+ because I fail it the first time.

I feel that I am learning a lot with ccna:s. I study a looooooot Security+ because I fail it the first time.

I am as well. I think that the ISCW chapters on ISCW talk about IPSEC VPNS are better than the CCNA:S book by far.

I finish the CCNA:S book a few days ago and I have been reading the ISCW cert guide for IPSEC stuff and I will read it for AAA, router hardening and other things (parts III and IV for those who have the book). I am listening to the CCNP ISCW nuggets as well. While at work I plan to read some RFCs on IPSec (probably overkill for the CCNA:S but this stuff is actually pretty interesting) and some other stuff.

Tonight I want to get through labs 2-3 and maybe 4 out of the lab manual. I also want to start spending more time in the SDM, making sure that I can do everything I see on the Objectives list and beyond. How are things going for you Impelse?
    That's right I feel I concentrated to much with cli, I need more SDM

• luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    knwminus wrote: »
    Tonight I want to get through labs 2-3 and maybe 4 out of the lab manual. I also want to start spending more time in the SDM, making sure that I can do everything I see on the Objectives list and beyond. How are things going for you Impelse?

Do you find the lab manual helpful? I never picked up a copy but I can imagine it would have helped a fair bit. I only did variations of the examples in the cert guide book when i labbed up.
    luke_bibby wrote: »
    Do you find the lab manual helpful? I never picked up a copy but I can imagine it would have helped a fair bit. I only did variations of the examples in the cert guide book when i labbed up.

I haven't got to far into them. I will put a write up on here in about a week (or a little less) and 1 right after I take the exam to let you know. So far, not really.....
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Good luck man! I'm about ready to get my certification run started for 2010. I think CCNA:S, CEH, GCIA, and maybe OSCP this year. Checkpoint has also been something I want to play with more.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
    The Lab Manual is excelent, I am in chapter 4 and I am learning a lot, it's great.

Test scheduled for Jan 30th 12:00pm
  • worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□

Suhweet!!! Rock on my man! That gets me pumped up. I can't wait to get in the position to schedule my exam.
    Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    I'll let you know how mine goes. I'm scheduled for the 21st of Jan
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    mikem2te wrote: »

Good luck and please do.I really want to hear more experience about the exam. I don't know anyone personally who is going for or who has completed the exam. Any additional information about the exp would be helpful.

For the next few weeks I will be adding notes about the CCNA:S on my humble blog. knwminus' journey Hopefully I will cap this off at the end of the month with a "I passed" post and my notes will be helpful to someone.
    For the next few weeks I will be adding notes about the CCNA:S on my humble blog. knwminus' journey Hopefully I will cap this off at the end of the month with a "I passed" post and my notes will be helpful to someone.
    Nice one, was going to blog about my certs but I haven't got the time, the exam date is a bit short so I need to study instead. I'll blog about it afterwards (if I pass that is).

Nice one, was going to blog about my certs but I haven't got the time, the exam date is a bit short so I need to study instead. I'll blog about it afterwards (if I pass that is).

Cool. I am looking forward to it AND I am looking forward to you pass (as well as mine of course icon_wink.gif)!!
    Posted AAA notes on blog. Feel free to take a look at them and critique/comment
    Posted AAA notes on blog. Feel free to take a look at them and critique/comment
    Cool, looks ok to me.

I'll put up a pdf of my revision notes in a few days if anyones interested, at the moment it comes in at about 60 pages

Cool, looks ok to me.

I'll put up a pdf of my revision notes in a few days if anyones interested, at the moment it comes in at about 60 pages

I am interested.
    I am interested.
    Cool, I have set up a blog site and put it on there. let me know if it works

A brief history of...: CCNA Security Notes

Cool, I have set up a blog site and put it on there. let me know if it works

A brief history of...: CCNA Security Notes

I added to you rep. Fantastic notes. Kinda puts my notes to shame icon_redface.gif....

But at any rate, with these and your other studies I know you will pass.icon_thumright.gif

Better get back to the books so I can get mine on the 30th icon_study.gificon_twisted.gificon_study.gif
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mikem2te... Your notes are very nice.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    Panic time - there may be snow coming in on the day of my test so I have had to reschedule my exam - for tomorrowicon_rolleyes.gif

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll be fine... after looking at your notes! You're gonna knock it out. Good luck man and let us know how it goes.

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    You'll be fine... after looking at your notes! You're gonna knock it out. Good luck man and let us know how it goes.

~Peanut
    Mission accomplished. Passed with a clean sheet, 1000/1000. I'll write a bit more about it tomorrow once I've recovered (sobered up)