Recommend an IPv6 book!

GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
So I see more than a few IPv6 books out there, both CiscoPress and not.

Can someone recommend one they enjoy? This is not to deploy rather just for study for the R&S, but I feel I need a dedicated book for this damn protocol.

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Right now I have two books that I use for IPv6 studies. Understanding IPv6, Second Edition and Routing TCP/IP Volume I, Second Edition. The MS Press book is an excellent read on the overview of IPv6, one of the best stand-alone books on the subject that you're going to find. Routing TCP/IP does a great job of showing you how to implement IPv6 on the IOS, so that's another point for Doyle.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Ahriakin wrote: »

I second this :)

Reading online sources is probably another good bet...... off the top of my head

- ipv6.org
    - IPv6 Forum :: Driving IPv6 Deployment

Hows the R&S studies coming along? When are you planning to tackle the Lab?

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Things are going well so far, looking to book the written again soon. As I go through a lot of this material it is coming back to me a lot easier then I thought it would, so hopefully the practice labs are similar. I remember the first time around how tough labs were the first couple times, so as long as its not like starting from scratch again :D

Im going to order that Cisco Press book I think, along with the BGP command handbook.
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    Any other recommended books? I'm trying to make a shopping list :D Also does anyone have a link to the recommended Book list for R&S? I can't seem to find it.
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
    qplayed wrote: »
    Any other recommended books? I'm trying to make a shopping list :D Also does anyone have a link to the recommended Book list for R&S? I can't seem to find it.

Check here

CCIE Lab Preparation Resources | Internetwork Expert

Most people will recommend Routing TCP/IP Vol I and II, then I usually say buy a book for anything you feel weak on (qos, bgp, ipv6, etc).
    Yea i've got those...I already had 1 pass on each....so much gory details :D
    Hah...I wonder how i missed that. Thanks
    well enough.
    ok...can some one tell me why I'm getting excited jsut by looking at the amount of reading I need to do :D
    well enough.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    So I see more than a few IPv6 books out there, both CiscoPress and not.

Can someone recommend one they enjoy? This is not to deploy rather just for study for the R&S, but I feel I need a dedicated book for this damn protocol.

I know what you mean. I never stretched it to get a book on this. With Odom I found the theory was in there, but just like the section on MPLS there really wasn't a lot of configuration examples.

Summarisation wasn't explained well.

Personally I think IPexpert and INE workbooks cover things fairly well for config.

I understand RIPng is off now and there is more OSPF/EIGRP

With some theory reading and lots of config examples it seems to stick better.
    To this day I blame a simple IPv6 tunnel for the reason I failed my first attempt (couldn't get it to come up the way it was supposed to, and my work around didn't score any points), which prevented another task to not work, in turn causing 7 points gone. When I do a rough add up of the other sections, that 7 points would have passed me. ugh.

In any case, Im going in a figgin' IPv6 expert this time around haha.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    To this day I blame a simple IPv6 tunnel for the reason I failed my first attempt (couldn't get it to come up the way it was supposed to, and my work around didn't score any points), which prevented another task to not work, in turn causing 7 points gone. When I do a rough add up of the other sections, that 7 points would have passed me. ugh.

In any case, Im going in a figgin' IPv6 expert this time around haha.

Constant practice is the key on that stuff I find. I know what you mean though, if you cant get a tunnel or peering up you may be hosed!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    qplayed wrote: »

You mean this?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    yea somehow I missed it :P
    well enough.
  • ohonabohonab Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can check here to get best IPV6 books. Hope you will find here right one.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I read IPv6 Mandates by Karl A. Siil many years ago. It was a very good read. I'm not sure how relevant it still may be? If you work with gov it probably still a good book.
    meh
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ohonab wrote: »
    You can check here to get best IPV6 books. Hope you will find here right one.

I'm pretty sure the OP found a book or two in the last 7 years.