Options

Cisco routers- Notes/comments

cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
Hello,

I was just thinking is there someway to place notes or comments in the config. Something like an FYI, like in scripting were you add the "#" for comments.

>>>>thanks people.

Comments

• Options
    ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    depends on where you want them. I know you can put descriptions on interfaces and stuff.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can add remarks to ACLs and such, but I don't think there is a way to just stick commented out line in the config at a random spot, though it would be nice.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    As others have mentioned, you can put in a description for an interface or a remark for an ACL. You can't insert inline comments however.

If you keep the configuration saved somewhere else then you can put ! comments in but they won't appear in the actual configuration on the router. IOS ignores them totally.
  • Options
    The reason why it doesn't do inline comments the way you want is a side effect of how IOS stores its configuration.
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    cdad2000 wrote: »
    Hello,

I was just thinking is there someway to place notes or comments in the config. Something like an FYI, like in scripting were you add the "#" for comments.

>>>>thanks people.

Edit the config on your computer, use ! as trailing characters wherever you wan to add comments, install a t.f.t.p. server on your computer then do a copy t.f.t.p.://blablablbla running-config . I read it somewhere that is a way, have not done it myself.

Hmm Thats weird, I cant type t.f.t.p. in a post, ha!
    I hate pandas
  • Options
    jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    You could just make a loopback interface, and give it a ip address you'd never use in your life. (just don't make it the highest ip, ospf will use it to name the router)Then write it in the description what you want.
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    no big deal. I was just wondering if there was such a feature. Thanks Everybody.
  • Options
    Cucumber wrote: »
    Edit the config on your computer, use ! as trailing characters wherever you wan to add comments, install a t.f.t.p. server on your computer then do a copy t.f.t.p.://blablablbla running-config . I read it somewhere that is a way, have not done it myself.
    Those comments don't get copied into the config.