SSCP... What resources, please?

NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
Hi Guy's,

Was thinking about the SSCP from the ICS2, has anyone done this? What materials/resources did you use?

Both myself & my senior tech deal with IT security at our place, and I've already done the Security+ and Microsoft Security exams.

-Ken

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    dynamik wrote: »

Thanks mate, reading it now :)

One question about the endorsement... I don't know any CCSP/CISSP's, infact none of my friends who work in IT know anyone with those credentials.

This may sound foolish, but how do you get endorsed if you don't know anyone?

-Ken
    You can apply to have (ISC)2 endorse you if you can't find a sponsor. Otherwise another member here might, if they know you well enough. You're laying your reputation on the line as well when you do that though, so you might have problems finding people that way.

We actually have a guy at work that people refuse to endorse. After knowing him for years, they are confident that they don't want to back him. That blows my mind, but just from what I've seen, I wouldn't do it either.
    You can apply to have (ISC)2 endorse you if you can't find a sponsor...

I didn't know that they themselves could do that.
    ...Otherwise another member here might, if they know you well enough. You're laying your reputation on the line as well when you do that though, so you might have problems finding people that way...

I don't think anyone here can vouch for my work (as this is more a US based forums), and to tell the truth I wouldn't expect anyone to just endorse without that knowledge. It's like me, as a CITP, I wouldn't be a reference for people that are going for Chartered status if I don't know them or their work.

Thanks for the answers though. Will consider the SSCP exam, then I'll have two years to worry about getting that endorsement :)

-Ken
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    (as this is more a US based forums)

I think the Webmaster would disagree with you... icon_lol.gif

Johan Hiemstra - LinkedIn

Maybe it is, but I am thinking it is more 50/50, UK/US.
    I think the Webmaster would disagree with you... icon_lol.gif

Johan Hiemstra - LinkedIn

Maybe it is, but I am thinking it is more 50/50, UK/US.

Point taken, lol... I guess I was comparing it more towards another forum that I use which, probably 70-80% of active users were from the UK - well it appears that why anyway icon_lol.gif

-Ken
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I should tell you that I have been enjoying reading your articles in CertMag.
    I should tell you that I have been enjoying reading your articles in CertMag.

Thanks mate :)

-Ken
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    Hi Guy's,

Was thinking about the SSCP from the ICS2, has anyone done this? What materials/resources did you use?

Both myself & my senior tech deal with IT security at our place, and I've already done the Security+ and Microsoft Security exams.

-Ken

Have you scheduled the exam yet? After reading J.D's experience I opted for the (ISC)2 sponsored exam and the only one is April 17th so far. I payed for it and am preparing as we speak. I'm using the official guide book to the SSCP by (ISC)2 and the study guide by Syngress. Good Luck
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
    azjag wrote: »
    Have you scheduled the exam yet? After reading J.D's experience I opted for the (ISC)2 sponsored exam and the only one is April 17th so far. I payed for it and am preparing as we speak. I'm using the official guide book to the SSCP by (ISC)2 and the study guide by Syngress. Good Luck

Dude, I will be doing the CISSP at that date in Phoenix! :D
    azjag wrote: »

Thanks mate, I've got the exam book in end of next month.

Good luck to you too :)

-ken