Is CVoice 6.0 harder than IIUC?

barryrodbarryrod Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just got my CCNA and am planning to add the CCNA Voice. I see that if you take CVoice 6.0 it certifies you CCNA Voice AND is required for CCVP whereas IIUC will not count toward CCVP. I am not sure if I will go for CCVP YET, but I want to keep my options open. In the immediate future I DO want CCNA Voice, so I am wondering if CVoice 6.0 would be much harder to pass than the IIUC in order to get CCNA Voice?

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I can't say for sure since I haven't taken CVOICE, but I'm doing IIUC and can tell you there's some great material out there for the IIUC to give you a good start in the VOIP world. If you're new to it, I'd suggest IIUC based on a comparison of the material available and the topics required for the CVOICE exam.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it would be safe to assume that the professional-level exams are more difficult than the associate-level exams.
  • barryrodbarryrod Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I think it would be safe to assume that the professional-level exams are more difficult than the associate-level exams.
    darkerosxx wrote:
    I can't say for sure since I haven't taken CVOICE, but I'm doing IIUC and can tell you there's some great material out there for the IIUC to give you a good start in the VOIP world. If you're new to it, I'd suggest IIUC based on a comparison of the material available and the topics required for the CVOICE exam.

I am a phone tech trying to keep up with technology so voice is not new to me and I was able to grasp the data concepts of CCNA. But if I am new to VOIP, I should do the IIUC?

I hope to get the CCVP some day, but I really want the CCNA Voice Cert right now. I know that the CVoice and IIUC each will give you the CCNA Voice Cert, but you are saying the CVoice will be harder than the IIUC as it is a test on the professional level?

I will get the material to begin learning for the IIUC test then.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Barry
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Yes

Gatekeepers and all that are included in CVOICE. That to me makes it harder than CCNAV
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I came from the PABX world as well, did the CCNA in 2007, CCNAV this year and moving onto CVoice.

I can say that the material for CCNAV is a lot better than CVoice.

The CCNAV is a lot more hands-on, and if you have a small lab, you can see the fruits of labour come to life. The CBT Nuggets marry up well with the study guide (being by the same author) which is a bonus. I watched the nugget, then read the corresponding section in the book, then reread it in front of the hardware, going step by step. Not having the same hardware as the book can sometimes be a challenge, you're forced to think and investigate other solutions to make things work. But that is very rewarding when it comes together.

My experience with CVoice on the other hand seems to be the opposite. It seems to be mostly theory, the study guide does not explain things well to me, the CBT nuggets were written for the old CVoice5 and have been added to, but they are in no order compared to the book. This is making it a very frustrating experience. I seem to be in stop-start mode, and not achieving anything. I've been using the GWGK nuggets instead/as well in places and finding these better value at times.

I'd recommend CCNAV (even though it means an extra exam) if you're new to VoIP, it gives you a basis for any future studies, but gives you skills you can use now.

Cheers!
    Dave
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you are fairly new to VoIP stick to the CCNA:Voice – It bridges the gap to the CCVP rather nicely if you decide to go that route later down the road. I found the CVOICE test to be MUCH harder and much less useful if your primary focus is IOS based unified communications (call manager express / unity express). Now if you’re working with full blown call manager and need to know a lot about gateways and gatekeepers, then CVOICE is for you.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Just in case it matters, Cvoice is $100US cheaper ;) I would assume it is harder than the CCNAV exam, but I have heard cvoice is the easier of the VP exams.
  • tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    I would agree with PITVIPER.. I just passed the CCNA_V and started to glance through the CVOICE official press. it seems to me that CVOICE is an in depth continuation of CCNA_V, which is good b/c you will understand the material much better after finishing CCNA_V.
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    Being in the situation of almost ready to sit the CCNA exam, I have to wonder what the "real world" value of the CCNA Voice (IIUC) exam is over the CVOICE exam.

Having read the various posts above, it seems to appear that taking the CVOICE exam will grant CCNA Voice certification. But, the general consentious is the CVOICE exam is much harder (to be expected.) From what I have been able to glean from various readings, the equipment investment necessary to persue the CVOICE exam is substantial at best, in addition to the onther hardware necessary for the CC** persuits.

With that said, it makes more sense to gather the study materials for both tests, learn the basics of Telephony and VOIP by studying the IIUC material (Routers and ephones are a dime a dozen compared to the UC5**) then continue the study of the CVIOCE materials until ready to sit for that exam.

I have decided to save the IIUC test money and apply it to the savings for the necessary hardware for CVOICE. (I don't like taking test any so that is part of my decision, the same decision I made concerning whether to take the 2 test or one test route for CCNA)

I am still not convinced that CCNA Voice buys us anything in the real world. I would like to hear the opinions of others out there on this matter. I am very open to feedback and suggestions.

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi John,

Having completed IIUC and working my way through CVOICE (and I'm taking way too long to do it), I can say that although IIUC is no longer the prerequisite for CCVP, it's still not a loss to complete.

IIUC teaches the basics of VoIP (and PSTN connectivity) and allows you to install/configure CME and Unity Express, or a UC5xx, in a small office environment.

CVOICE goes a step further and a lot deeper, but is aimed at the enterprise environment. It skips CME/Unity Express/UC5xx (and IP phones) and concentrates on the detail of FXO/FXS/E&M/PRI/CAS/CCS/E1/T1, dial peers, H.323/SIP/MGCP, and more. So without IIUC you'd be limited to the analogue handset world, unless you already have CME skills.

Building on the basics from IIUC, you learn in CVOICE how to interconnect the stand-alone CME branch office IP phones via CAS/CCS and really learn PSTN connectivity and dial peers.

In my home lab I've got 4 sites;
    3725 named Sydney, with CME, E1 PRI and frame-relay, Australian (NSW) numbering plan
    1760 named Melbourne, with CME, E1 PRI and frame-relay, Australian (Vic) numbering plan
    1760 named Seatle, with CME, T1 PRI and frame-relay, North American numbering plan
    1760 named Vancouver, with CME, T1 PRI and frame-relay, North American numbering plan
    2691 simulating the PSTN with 2 x E1 PRI, 2 x T1 PRI, CME and Unity Express, mailboxes set up to simulate dialling network numbers (911, 000, 1800, etc)
    1760 simulating the WAN for frame-relay

Without IIUC the lab wouldn't be as much fun, plus CME and Unity Express are saleable skills in the marketplace.

IIUC = Install CME/UC5xx stand-alone offices (saleable skills)
    CVOICE = Now lets connect them to the PSTN, to each other, to other devices, and more (need CIPT1 for saleable skills)

Cheers,
    Dave
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    azaghul wrote: »
    Hi John,

Having completed IIUC and working my way through CVOICE (and I'm taking way too long to do it), I can say that although IIUC is no longer the prerequisite for CCVP, it's still not a loss to complete.

IIUC teaches the basics of VoIP (and PSTN connectivity) and allows you to install/configure CME and Unity Express, or a UC5xx, in a small office environment.

CVOICE goes a step further and a lot deeper, but is aimed at the enterprise environment. It skips CME/Unity Express/UC5xx (and IP phones) and concentrates on the detail of FXO/FXS/E&M/PRI/CAS/CCS/E1/T1, dial peers, H.323/SIP/MGCP, and more. So without IIUC you'd be limited to the analogue handset world, unless you already have CME skills.

Building on the basics from IIUC, you learn in CVOICE how to interconnect the stand-alone CME branch office IP phones via CAS/CCS and really learn PSTN connectivity and dial peers.

In my home lab I've got 4 sites;
    3725 named Sydney, with CME, E1 PRI and frame-relay, Australian (NSW) numbering plan
    1760 named Melbourne, with CME, E1 PRI and frame-relay, Australian (Vic) numbering plan
    1760 named Seatle, with CME, T1 PRI and frame-relay, North American numbering plan
    1760 named Vancouver, with CME, T1 PRI and frame-relay, North American numbering plan
    2691 simulating the PSTN with 2 x E1 PRI, 2 x T1 PRI, CME and Unity Express, mailboxes set up to simulate dialling network numbers (911, 000, 1800, etc)
    1760 simulating the WAN for frame-relay

Without IIUC the lab wouldn't be as much fun, plus CME and Unity Express are saleable skills in the marketplace.

IIUC = Install CME/UC5xx stand-alone offices (saleable skills)
    CVOICE = Now lets connect them to the PSTN, to each other, to other devices, and more (need CIPT1 for saleable skills)

Cheers,
    Dave

Thanks Dave! The info you gave is a great encouragement. Interestingly, I saw an ad this morning for a Network Tech position. This company is/was looking for a Voice Tech:
    The candidate will need to possess their CCNA-V or working toward it, possess their CCENT or be able to demonstrate basic routing and switching experience

Needless to say, I responded!

My current lab is a conglomeration of the following:
    1x 831, 4x 2610, 2x 2612, 1x 2620 (set up with NM-16A as Access Server), 1x 2621, 1x 2610XM w CME 4.1, 1x 2621XM (My Backbone Router to Internet), 2x 3640, 1x 1760-V, 2x VG200, 3x 2950T, 1x 2924XL-EN, 2x 2916XL-EN, 2x2980G (L3 Image), 1x 3548EX-EN, 1x 3550-49 (L3 Image), 1x 1121G WAP, 3x NM-4A/S, 8x WIC-1T, 6x WIC-1DSU-T1, 1x NM2E2W, NM-1CT1-CSU, 4x VIC-2FXO (FXS Modules on the way), and 5 7910 IP Phones.

I think I have the equipment side pretty well covered except for one or two more "toys."

I am currently using 3 of the 7910s here in the house for all calls. My POTS connection to the 2610XM is being shared with my cordless phone in case a call comes and I want to use that instead of the IP Phones (at least until I get the FXS Modules.) :D

In any case, Voice is just the first of the paths I will work toward.

Thanks again,

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I think something a lot of people are missing is that there are and will continue to be a ton more CME routers deployed in the field needing techs to maintain. I suppose it depends on your eventual goals but make no mistake you should at least know the IIUC material.

Having the CCNA-V in IIUC could be a, "I need to eat this month" skill you can drum up work with.... Small outfits don't employ full time voice or data people they don't have the work or the money to do so which means lots of small contract jobs available.
  • Aragon1Aragon1 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,

I was going through this post and felt ask for some suggestions.

I have completed IIUC course (Complete CBT and bit some from book).

I was going through the example questions at cisco site and felt much questions are on products than the technical questions or configuration part. Felt thats kind off a major theory stuff.

So thinking of starting the Cvoice studies and giving exam for the same. As I have some knowledge from IIUC.

Apart from it being tough, is there any other disadvantage.
    I feel the main advantage is it costs 150 bucks compared to IIUC. :D