Options

Meyers Network+ or N10-004 Exam Cram?

digitallyinclineddigitallyinclined Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone. I'm a network administrator that's been studying for the Network+ cert for the last few months. I have 3-4 years of professional hands on experience. Been studying from an Network+ Course Technology text I had left over from a prep class with a healthy mix of supplementary material and practice exams online.

This question is for those who have passed the exam.. which text do you recommend for an IT professional with my level of experience; the Meyers Network+ or N10-004 Exam Cram book?

I have a lot of practical, "real world" knowledge but consider myself primarily a visual learner and also have some trouble retaining large amounts of obscure information for standardized tests. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Comments

• Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    IMO Network + is really about memorizing large amounts of definitions and numerical/metric information for a standardized test. I learned quite a bit from reading Meyer's book, but most of the questions on the test are really rote memorization, very few were based on concepts or overall understanding of the material. There was some basic troubleshooting, but I found those to be mostly freebies.
  • Options
    hammer55hammer55 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found Exam Cram to have some gaps in info needed. Read that first, then after taking several online exams, bought Glen Clarke/McGraw Hill text. Both together better than either one, but Glen Clarke better of the two.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pert wrote: »
    IMO Network + is really about memorizing large amounts of definitions and numerical/metric information for a standardized test. I learned quite a bit from reading Meyer's book, but most of the questions on the test are really rote memorization, very few were based on concepts or overall understanding of the material. There was some basic troubleshooting, but I found those to be mostly freebies.

agreed. I used the Meyers book btw.
  • Options
    First, thanks for the feedback, all. icon_cheers.gif

I finished up reading the Network+ Guide to Networks text and wasn't really happy with how the information was presented in the text. I went ahead and ordered the Meyers All In One Network+ Exam Guide and have found it to be extraordinarily beneficial.

I'm breezing through the text and plan on taking the Network+ exam in the next 2-3 weeks. You were right Pert, it is about retaining large amounts of information at once opposed to actually grasping the information but the Meyers text has lots of practical/visual aids.

Hopefully I only need to take the exam once to pass. I'll be sure to keep everyone in the forum community posted. Thanks again for all the resources on this website, they've really helped!
  • Options
    goldenclickgoldenclick Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First, thanks for the feedback, all. icon_cheers.gif

I finished up reading the Network+ Guide to Networks text and wasn't really happy with how the information was presented in the text. I went ahead and ordered the Meyers All In One Network+ Exam Guide and have found it to be extraordinarily beneficial.

I'm breezing through the text and plan on taking the Network+ exam in the next 2-3 weeks. You were right Pert, it is about retaining large amounts of information at once opposed to actually grasping the information but the Meyers text has lots of practical/visual aids.

Hopefully I only need to take the exam once to pass. I'll be sure to keep everyone in the forum community posted. Thanks again for all the resources on this website, they've really helped!

I am glad you posted this. I just started studying for the exam and my book is horribly confusing. I just started chapter 2, network protocols and the books throws all these protocols around (tcp/ip,netbeui,ipx/spx, etc, and then introduced the OSI model 10 pages later. I think that's confusing, maybe that's just me.

OP - I'll be ordering mine soon too. Will be taking my test end of Feb/early march, have you set a date yet?
    "The difference between champ and chump is U"

Currently Studying:
    Network +
    70-642 towards MCITP Server Administrator
  • Options
    sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi

I'm also in process of preparing to Network+ exam. I would go with both sources. Meyers book contains more facts, and good material. Same as Exam cram very fast get to the point. both books are great. Plus use this forum Technotes even they are from an old editiuon exams they are still excellent. and one of the best sources the Internet.
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    goldenclick: Right now I'm on track to finish the Meyers all-in-one book within the next week or so. Then I'm going to take another 5-7 days to work on taking some practice exams I think. I'm shooting for the last week in January to schedule the test.

I'm still shopping around for a cheap voucher but the least expensive I've seen was being sold for $206. If anyone has seen cheaper vouchers for the Network+ exam, please post links on the forum!

I dread not passing the first time and potentially having to spend $400+..