Options

upgrading the IOS

isaboxisabox Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

Thanks for reading this post.

I bought these routers from ebay. However, I have found that the IOSs do not support the

ip http secure-server command.

Also, on SDM windows, for some options, it says "your IOS can not perform these...."

So, I believe, that I need to upgrade the IOS. Am I right?

If so, then How do I download the images from the Cisco site. Because it is asking for some passwords that my basic (cisco user account) does not have. It says, if I want to download the images then
either I need to be a CCIE, or some other options...................

So, what should I do?

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    isabox wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks for reading this post.

I bought these routers from ebay. However, I have found that the IOSs do not support the

ip http secure-server command.

Also, on SDM windows, for some options, it says "your IOS can not perform these...."

So, I believe, that I need to upgrade the IOS. Am I right?

If so, then How do I download the images from the Cisco site. Because it is asking for some passwords that my basic (cisco user account) does not have. It says, if I want to download the images then
    either I need to be a CCIE, or some other options...................

So, what should I do?

What version of the ios are the routers running? Post a show ver output.

To get the IOS copies legally you need to work for a company with a cisco contract (or have one yourself). I am not sure about the CCIE thing, maybe Mike or someone else can shed some light on that.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »

To get the IOS copies legally you need to work for a company with a cisco contract (or have one yourself). I am not sure about the CCIE thing, maybe Mike or someone else can shed some light on that.

My version of IOS is 12.3(3e). And the router I am using right now is 2610XM. I hope that is what u asked for.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »

Here is the output

h_work#sh ver
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IS-M), Version 12.3(3e), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 21-Jan-04 15:43 by pwade
    Image text-base: 0x80008098, data-base: 0x819E5828

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

h_work uptime is 7 hours, 12 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c2600xm-is-mz.123-3e.bin"

cisco 2610XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x100) with 59392K/6144K bytes of me.
    Processor board ID JAD07080BW9 (4127649132)
    M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    2 Serial(sync/async) network interface(s)
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    +1 Knwminus

Using the Cisco Feature Navigator you need a crypto feature set. The navigator can be your best friend when buying equipment as you can see if it has the features you need.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    The CCIE thing means be a CCIE or work for a Cisco partner and have a cisco partner's type login. They still monitor what you download and may charge you accordingly through your company.

I am not sure what IOS images you can download with just a guest login.
    Kam.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    The CCIE thing means be a CCIE or work for a Cisco partner and have a cisco partner's type login. They still monitor what you download and may charge you accordingly through your company.

You can still download switch IOS with a guest login.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »

Well does that mean, there is no way for me to download the IOS images? I mean to upgrade.
  • Options
    Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    Welcome to Internet, there is always a way. But the Cisco way requires you to pay.
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Morty3 wrote: »
    But the Cisco way requires you to pay.
    The legal way is to pay.

While used hardware doesn't come with a license for the IOS image that may be loaded on the hardware (unless you buy one), Cisco doesn't seem to make 2nd hand dealers scrub any existing IOS images. That's why we usually suggest that you purchase at least one (used 2nd hand) router with the max memory AND the latest greatest IOS Version and Feature Set. After that -- what you do in your lab stays in your lab.

I'd guess that router has 16 Meg Flash (since the output from the show version was cut off before showing that) -- and an upgrade might not be possible until a memory/flash upgrade.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Morty3 wrote: »
    Welcome to Internet, there is always a way. But the Cisco way requires you to pay.
    Most businesses expect you to pay for their products. If they didn't then they're not a business or bankrupt.