Options

Google may pull out of China over cyber attacks

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
The title is a little flamboyant, but who knows...

Google may pull out of China over cyber attacks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That sounds like a good plan for China in general. It seems like they're struggling with overpopulation.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We seriously need to counter hack these guys, every other weekend i hear of China attempting to hack the US and our interests.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Mmm... Google pulling out of a huge lucrative market? I don't see that happening. They're already getting some flak from the mobile phone Android manufacturer world because of the Nexus One.

This has the feel of a tactic to get some publicity from the rest of the world so they have more bargaining power.
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    We seriously need to counter hack these guys, every other weekend i hear of China attempting to hack the US and our interests.
    Sure but only if you disconnect the US from the rest of the world as well. The spam statistics nearly always have the US as the top spamming country. I don't want that spam. Thanks.
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the Chinese hear plenty about us trying to hack them. I don't think that's a one-way street. Even if the governments aren't backing it, there are plenty of citizens in both camps trying to attack the other.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    China is the single biggest nationally identified source for online attacks but with one of the lowest success levels. They're in the headlines so much, and on IP blacklists, because the vast majority are nothing more than flies on a windshield and easily identified. The real ones to watch are those that are rarely seen but with high success ratios, not only does it mean they are a lot better at it but the lack of numbers can be very likely due to the fact that so many more are not getting caught - Russia anyone?
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    China is the single biggest nationally identified source for online attacks but with one of the lowest success levels. They're in the headlines so much, and on IP blacklists, because the vast majority are nothing more than flies on a windshield and easily identified. The real ones to watch are those that are rarely seen but with high success ratios, not only does it mean they are a lot better at it but the lack of numbers can be very likely due to the fact that so many more are not getting caught - Russia anyone?

Yeah, my firewall constantly labels incoming packets from China.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Sure but only if you disconnect the US from the rest of the world as well. The spam statistics nearly always have the US as the top spamming country. I don't want that spam. Thanks.

True, I can't help but wonder how many of these are Spam bots are created by individuals overseas. I read an article not long about how they target PCs in the US because we have faster pipes than the most areas in the world.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    True, I can't help but wonder how many of these are Spam bots are created by individuals overseas. I read an article not long about how they target PCs in the US because we have faster pipes than the most areas in the world.

I'd say you are likely right.

Ive contacted companies who's servers have spammed me before and almost always its a bot thats gotten onto their mail server and is sending out junk. I've even gotten a few thank yous from a few email admins for bringing it to their attention.
  • Options
    The actual spam botnets probably have a high proportion that are controlled by an organisation outside of the US but a large amount of the spam is generated in the US and outsourced out. Quite a few of the "spam kings" have been in the US.

As for the faster pipe reason, I doubt that is true. There are quite a few countries now e.g. Korea, Hong Kong, Sweden etc... where broadband is in the 2 digit megabit range at a minimum and has been for years. There is an advantage to having a concentrated population in major metropolitan areas when you're building network infrastructure.
  • Options
    Yeah, my firewall constantly labels incoming packets from China.
    At one point I logged all the random scans and probes coming in from the internet, I gave up due to the sheer amount of traffic. Most major countries were well represented in the logs. At the time, the highest amount of traffic came from parts of Russia, Brazil and Turkey. I have no idea what the percentages are now.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    APNIC IPs are behind most of the attempts I see. They usually suck at what they do and get stopped pretty easily.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options

What? Our bandwidth is garbage compared to the rest of the world (Sorry it's so big*):

bw.jpg

*That's the first time I've had to say that in my life
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Looks like I need to be rooting boxes anywhere else basically.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    What? Our bandwidth is garbage compared to the rest of the world (Sorry it's so big*):

No your not icon_wink.gif

I did say than most, and Korea, Netherlands, and Japan are hardly most of the world. I have heard insane stories about how fast Japanese Internet is.

I can't help but wonder if this may have do with the lax security used by most Americans, and maybe the popularity of Linux in the rest of the world? That is me guessing there...
  • Options
    I did say than most, and Korea, Netherlands, and Japan are hardly most of the world. I have heard insane stories about how fast Japanese Internet is.
    So excluding Japan, Korea, Finland, Sweden, France, Netherlands, Portugal, Canada, Poland, Norway, Austria, Belgum, Iceland and Germany? Denmark and Italy seem to be roughly equivalent to the US as well.
    I can't help but wonder if this may have do with the lax security used by most Americans, and maybe the popularity of Linux in the rest of the world? That is me guessing there...
    If most of the scam/spam changed overnight to something that wasn't English then I'd expect the number of new bots to drop. English speaking + lots of people online = the US.

10 Worst Spam Origin Countries

United States 2284
    China 552
    Russian Federation 435
    United Kingdom 277
    Spain 249
    Argentina 236
    Italy 187
    Brazil 185
    France 183
    Germany 179

My theory doesn't explain why Canada doesn't appear in the list though *shrug*
  • Options

I give you points for trying icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So excluding Japan, Korea, Finland, Sweden, France, Netherlands, Portugal, Canada, Poland, Norway, Austria, Belgum, Iceland and Germany? Denmark and Italy seem to be roughly equivalent to the US as well.

If most of the scam/spam changed overnight to something that wasn't English then I'd expect the number of new bots to drop. English speaking + lots of people online = the US.

10 Worst Spam Origin Countries

United States 2284
    China 552
    Russian Federation 435
    United Kingdom 277
    Spain 249
    Argentina 236
    Italy 187
    Brazil 185
    France 183
    Germany 179

Even foreign botnet owners loathe our dictator bandwidth capping ISP's that's why.
  • Options
    GAngel wrote: »
    Even foreign botnet owners loathe our dictator bandwidth capping ISP's that's why.
    Harsh! The inline bandwidth warning popup from Rogers is a tad annoying though.

Countries with less stringent software piracy laws or lower average salary also tend to have higher numbers of bots. The users won't apply updates because they're worried they'll get locked out as they're running pirated software.
  • Options
    The inline bandwidth warning popup from Rogers is a tad annoying though.

I want to see a screen-shot of this. Sounds like something that would really drive me crazy! Does it look like NetZero/Juno use to for free Internet?
  • Options
    I want to see a screen-shot of this. Sounds like something that would really drive me crazy! Does it look like NetZero/Juno use to for free Internet?
    No idea what the NetZero/Juno one is.

The Rogers one is that it would actually alter the HTML of other sites to insert the warning banner. They must be running some sort of transparent proxy to do this. You can see what it looks like here. They apparently also do something similar to SiteFinder if you use their DNS. I know its not due to any configuration or software installed on the local PC because I got the banners when using my own laptop at a friend's house.
  • Options
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□

Our internet is a monopoly between three companies who basically divided the country. We have fast internet up to 50mbps for home available and then they cap the hell out of you making it useless. Then they started raising the fees until now it's pretty much some new bs charge 3x a year. And they throttle everything as well.
  • Options

I guess no one's currently running fiber to the igloo...
  • Options
    Our internet is a monopoly between three companies who basically divided the country. We have fast internet up to 50mbps for home available and then they cap the hell out of you making it useless. Then they started raising the fees until now it's pretty much some new bs charge 3x a year. And they throttle everything as well.

That stinks. I am perfectly happy with my limited speeds then.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□

Our Internet is Up to 8MB with a throttle of 30GB and you will have to pay 300 US$ per month to get it.

Average speed is 512K to 1MB "throttle 4 - 8 GB" at a cost of 20-50 US$.
  • Options
    Evidence that it was guaranteed to be China is shakey. The theory that the algorithm was only used in China is wrong, the IP addresses the attacks came from don't mean much anyway and even Google only think it is probably China.