Honey i blew up the switch

celtic_tigerceltic_tiger Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got 2 old 2900 series switches that was not being used by a company and I noticed that they had "kettle lead" power connecters the same as a PC so I connected the pc power leads to the switches and boom boom shake the room. seems I dont like the smell of fried circuitry in the morning.

Im guessing this was not a problem with the switches themselves?

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    They're either dusty inside which is a bit unlikely that they're both dusty enough to blow or they're 110V switches that are in Ireland for some bizarre reason. Does it say what voltage they want on the label on the back?

If it was a DC powered switch then it wouldn't have an IEC connector.
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I'm gonna put my money behind the 110v switch theory. Lucky for us north americans using 110. We can connect 110 to a 220 usualyy without cooking it....
  • celtic_tigerceltic_tiger Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Says near power socket

100-127/200-240V
    2.0A1.0A 50-60HZ

there is a DC input which looks like the powerinput on the motheboard on a pc on the back also.
    Says near power socket
    100-127/200-240V
    2.0A1.0A 50-60HZ
    Okay. Its not incorrect mains voltage then since its got one that can handle 110V-240V.
    there is a DC input which looks like the powerinput on the motheboard on a pc on the back also.
    For a RPS connection.

No idea why it blew up. It shouldn't do...
    hmm i see

I use the same leads for my pc's and they are running on them now. there was a loud bang all the lights lit up for a split second and a worrying smell also this tripped the switch taking the electricity out of the apartment.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hmm i see

I use the same leads for my pc's and they are running on them now. there was a loud bang all the lights lit up for a split second and a worrying smell also this tripped the switch taking the electricity out of the apartment.

If only you had a picture, or video of this event :D
    Not many theories left as to why it went bang.

1. Both are faulty.
    2. Both have had PSU replaced with a 110V unit for some unknown reason.
    3. Your apartment has a really odd electrical system.
    4. You've angered the god of networking in some way.

None are particularly likely but I guess number 2 is the one that is most probable. Somebody has altered it in some bizarre way.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote: »
    4. You've angered the god of networking in some way.

icon_twisted.gif
    Im guessing they are both dead now. But just in case Is there an inexpensive way to try and see if they will work with the 110V power. just in case they were american switches. like an adapter or some such.
    Im guessing they are both dead now. But just in case Is there an inexpensive way to try and see if they will work with the 110V power. just in case they were american switches. like an adapter or some such.
    Generally if you let the magic smoke out of an electronic device, it no longer works :P As the label on the outside says it is 110/240V then the only way would be to take it apart and see if the PSU unit has any markings on it and look it up based on that. Its a mains powered piece of equipment so don't mess around with the insides unless you know what you're doing.
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    It may be worth a look inside in an attempt to find out what went wrong.

Typically with mains powered equipment there is a risk of electric shock (I know that from experienceicon_redface.gif). Electric charge can remain in devices for a good few hours so I always make sure the device has been physically unplugged for hours before taking apart.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Had a 3550 48 EMI go poof at work once. Out of warranty and just had to put it in the skip. Sad day !
    Kam.
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Had a 3550 48 EMI go poof at work once. Out of warranty and just had to put it in the skip. Sad day !
    Hey. Be happy that you didn't hear 48 other poof noises at the same time :)
  • cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    I got 2 old 2900 series switches that was not being used by a company and I noticed that they had "kettle lead" power connecters the same as a PC so I connected the pc power leads to the switches and boom boom shake the room. seems I dont like the smell of fried circuitry in the morning.

Im guessing this was not a problem with the switches themselves?

Believe me, electricity isn't the best friend to you, I lit up once and had electricity in my body that was enough to feed a house, I did look like Mike's cat icon_mike.gif, wasn't the best experience, crash! Was it an old cable or has some issues? Did you shorten the power by inserting one of the prong way before the others? Did you check the power supply, for sure before you plug it, that it's properly installed and the connector is seated well in it's socket? Never hurry and power up any Cisco from eBay, or anybody else, that you don't know before checking it, one of my friends was suppose to get really bad shock because of a Cisco router that he bought off eBay and found out that the PSU had 2 naked (h*rny) wires that touches each other.

Bottom line, if ur lucky then it's only the PSU toasted, you can get it off ebay, but if it passed the PSU then kiss your switches goodbye.