Ugh, Failed ICND1

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
not sure what happened. i know subnetting like the back of my hand, static/defualt routes, fram relay, the osi, spend weeks doing labs over and over... etc but when i took the test i just couldnt understand the questions. question 1 was a sim that took me 45 minutes just to start, then the next question was a simlet. so 2 questions in, i had already wasted an hour.

i took the tutorial, and that screwed me up and i couldnt finish that. i guess that was the writing on the wall.

heres the break down....

describe opeation of data networks - 69%
implememnt small switched network - 75%
implement ip addressing scheme and ip services - 66%
implement small routed network - 37%
explain and select admin tasks required for wan - 33%
identify security threats to a network and describe methods to mitigate - 50%
implement and verify wan links - 100%

my prep was cbt nuggets the cisco press book, and an instructor led class.

Comments

• elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't get too discouraged tdean. Many people have issues when it comes to testing.. Try and schedule after the 5 day mandatory wait, so that everything is fresh in your head.

Remember that talking about what was on the test breaks the nda. Try and remember what they asked you to do, and simulate it. Hit your lab work hard and bounce back. I failed 640-802 last Friday with a 734, went back in today and passed with 860. I hit the areas I knew I had no idea on/ or guessed on the questions very hard to retain the information.

A great tool I used was Excel. I put facts in cells, centered them so everything was aligned and just kept saying the facts over and over outloud. You may look crazy to people, but it is easier to remember things.

Ha driving home, I was counting 16's and cdr information!
  • tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    yeah, i got at 76 .. so for the icnd1 i think i missed by 1 or 2 questions. im not really even sure where to start "restudying".
    do you remember anything from the test that you know u struggled on? I would start there. but also keep in mind the stuff you did well on and try to hit them as well. Sometimes people that study the stuff they failed on let go of the stuff they were good on.
    elphrank0 wrote: »
    do you remember anything from the test that you know u struggled on? I would start there. but also keep in mind the stuff you did well on and try to hit them as well. Sometimes people that study the stuff they failed on let go of the stuff they were good on.

i've been trying to figure that out the whole ride home (1.5hrs). i understand everything, i can perform all the concepts.... i couldnt understand the questions as presented to me. i still have no idea what that first question i got was all about.

icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif
    do you have any of the test practice software like transcender or Boson? They may be able to help ya. I tell ya some of the cisco wording does suck..
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    if you spent 45 mins on a sim you might benefit from hitting the labs and timing yourself. set up a few rip/frame relay/eigrp labs and in the process you'll almost certanly do something wrong (because we all do), when you figure out what it was you've learned something useful. the process of build - break - fix will mean that when you take it next time it will be second nature to know what to look for.
    this will help you alot on the simlets, sims and even the questions. dont get discouraged hit the books, labs and vids and come back fighting
    aldous wrote: »
    if you spent 45 mins on a sim you might benefit from hitting the labs and timing yourself. set up a few rip/frame relay/eigrp labs and in the process you'll almost certanly do something wrong (because we all do), when you figure out what it was you've learned something useful. the process of build - break - fix will mean that when you take it next time it will be second nature to know what to look for.
    this will help you alot on the simlets, sims and even the questions. dont get discouraged hit the books, labs and vids and come back fighting

unfortunately, i've been doing all the labs for weeks. i have no problem doing them, understanding any of the concepts or anything. i have a home lab that i've done my own static routing, default routes, rip, vlans etc... over and over. i just dont understand the questions. in fact, i still cant get past task 7 in the exam tutorial. i had problems with this before the test and i still cant get past it.

Cisco Certification Exam Tutorial - Cisco Systems

icon_redface.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tdean wrote: »
    i still cant get past task 7 in the exam tutorial
    Those are the 7 types of questions you may see on the exam. Task 7 is the end of the tutorial. Continue doesn't highlight since there is no option past Task 7. Either go back or close the tutorial window.

The "lead in page" to the demo is here (with the link to the demo at the bottom):
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_certification_exam_tutorial.html
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    elphrank0 wrote: »
    do you have any of the test practice software like transcender or Boson? They may be able to help ya. I tell ya some of the cisco wording does suck..
    actually, i do! from the odom books i bought. time to bust that out.

icon_study.gif
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Those are the 7 types of questions you may see on the exam. Task 7 is the end of the tutorial. Continue doesn't highlight since there is no option past Task 7. Either go back or close the tutorial window.

The "lead in page" to the demo is here (with the link to the demo at the bottom):
    Certification Exam Tutorial - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

ok!! now we're getting somewhere!!!

icon_cool.gif
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dont get discouraged. I failed CCNA twice it was a little too much for me to take it in one whole exam. Then on the third attempt i broke the exam into the two parts icnd1 and then i took icnd2 and finally completed my CCNA. It all has to do with the style and rhythm of the cisco test taking. I didnt have any guidance or anyone to mentor me, so i went blind twice to take the test. Finally on my third attempt i already had a feel of the exams and how things flowed and how and what the exams were stating facts within questions you have to find out. So after getting my a$$ kicked a couple times I have been success full in passing my exams. From failing CCNA twice now I am a CCNP network engineer working on some ASA/Wireshark/and soon My CCIE books.

It really takes time and you have to get experience. If you really want to accomplish this, understand failing is only part of the game. Failing the exam is only an experience that can be positive if you look at it like you understand where you need improvement.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    tdean wrote: »
    question 1 was a sim that took me 45 minutes just to start, then the next question was a simlet. so 2 questions in, i had already wasted an hour.

An hour to start a sim? Did you go through the demo at the start?

That aside shouldnt spend more than 10 mins on a sim. It will eat into your time way too much causing you to rush through some of the easier questions and picking incorrect answers.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    thanks for the encouragement guys.... i guess i have to try and figure out what that stuff means in the first post and work on those areas. i'll take a couple days off and be back at it on Sunday.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    shouldnt spend more than 10 mins on a sim. It will eat into your time way too much causing you to rush through some of the easier questions and picking incorrect answers.

That's exactly what I did last Monday. I rushed through the test thinking I was short on time, ending with 28 minutes to go. Scored 791. Good thing is I can remember the questions I didn't know. Should have it sorted next time.
  • *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think I got the same question when I took my test last week. Second question in. Wording was really vague. Took me 25 minutes to figure out exactly what they wanted. Still not sure if I got it completely right.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think one of my biggest problem is the troubleshooting.
    I can set up a working simple routed network with RIP by heart.
    However if presented with a broken network and asked to "fix it" its a little more challenging.
    Maybe a quick rundown on some basic troubleshooting may help?
    Setting up a simple working network is A LOT easier than debugging one that's a single setting off.
    (From my experience with the Boson Testing engine).
    I think i spent a good 15 minutes and ended up re-configuring an entire router+switch before I realized what the problem was and two simple commands could've fixed both of them.
    If you know what to look for using the right show commands things could've been a lot easier.
    So far , if you're completely stumped on troubleshooting use a "Show IP interface brief" and work your way up.
    Starting with a show run can be tricky, unless you already have a suspicioun of what the problem is.
    actually i'm thinking up a technique to help me on those same type of questions.
    will post as soon as i work it out.
    if someone else has a similar method I'd like to hear it, maybe I'm re-inventing a process...
  • AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The first Cisco test is always hard. My advice is practice subnetting until you can do it in your head. I used subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online and it really helped me a lot. Practice the Boson exam questions. They are harder than the actual exam. Try to get a copy of Cisco Packet Tracer or some real Cisco equipment. Practice RIP commands and definately know your show commands too. If the sims are you trouble area, practice with the Boson exam or some free practice tests online. Good luck!
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Im sorry the first time didnt go as planned. Just keep going strong and good things will happen. Best of luck :)
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU