Where to start? Confused...

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
Ok I'm going to start studying for the CCNA. I'm in the process of buying 2 26xx routers and 2 29xx switches + cables ect. That's about as far as Ive gotten.

It seems to daunting I don't know what to do lol. Umm should I link them up to a linux server or is it just the same on a pc? Should I just hammer through one of the CCNA study books and that will direct me? I'm basically clueless on cisco stuff atm.

Comments

• tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Well I guess my first question is what kind of 26XX routers are you buying? There are lots of threads regarding what to purchase depending on budget and what you'd like to do with them. I would recoomend getting at least one 2600XM router.

As far as where to start yes crack open a CCENT study guide and start configuring the routers and switches as you go along.
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    tha_dub wrote: »

As far as where to start yes crack open a CCENT study guide and start configuring the routers and switches as you go along.

Yep.

First half of the Cisco Press ICND1 is Net+ rehash.

Second half of the Cisco Press ICND1 is basic switch/router config and troubleshooting.

Just follow along :)

Oh and a link for the Cisco Press material..

http://www.amazon.com/CCENT-ICND1-Official-Certification-Guide/dp/1587201828/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264105730&sr=8-1 Book 1 for ICND1 (CCENT)

http://www.amazon.com/ICND2-Official-Certification-640-816-640-802/dp/158720181X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264105784&sr=1-1 Book 2 for ICND2 (CCNA)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Look through the FAQs on the sticky at the top of the thread. Will teach you tons

To connect to the devices, you'll need a PC and get yourself a serial to USB cable to connect your PC to the console ports on the devices. They're quite cheap. Then get hold of a terminal emulator. You can use hyperterminal but there are good free ones you can find. A lot use a very good emulator called Putty. I do.

That will get you connected so you can start having a look at what you have bought. If they arrive and have passwords you don't know, google password recovery for the device you want to get into. With cisco gear, if you can physically touch it, you can break into it.

Som staight through cables and cross overs to connect them. Later on you can look into what is needed for serial connections.

Have a good look through the FAQ though. Years of info in them.
    Kam.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    First place to start is get yourself the Cisco Exam Certification Library by Wendell Odom. They are excellent books and contain everything you need to pass ICND1 and ICND2. They also include the Boson Practice Exam Questions which are EXCELLENT.