Options

Introduce myself....

kasiechaoskasiechaos Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am in Desktop Support in Richmond, VA. I am 37 years old. I currently have my A+ and my MCP (by Windows XP). I have been doing Desktop for about 10 years. I am wanting to get at least two certifications in 2010. Figure I would start with the Security+. I am starting to brainstorm what career path I want to take in IT. Currently, I am interested in Network Security.

Any particular advice, book(s), guides, websites would you recommend in preparing for the exam? How much time should I considered needed to pass this exam? I have a strong desktop background, but probably weak in overall Network Security I would guess.

Figure I would start with Security + and then maybe CISSP. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forums!

The Security+ is a great way to start. The CISSP requires five years of experience (four with Sec+, so that's probably not a good second choice for 2010 for you. I'd encourage you to supplement that with MS, *nix, or Cisco (whatever tickles your fancy), and then try to get some security responsibilities with one (or more) of those technologies.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kasiechaos wrote: »
    I am in Desktop Support in Richmond, VA. I am 37 years old. I currently have my A+ and my MCP (by Windows XP). I have been doing Desktop for about 10 years. I am wanting to get at least two certifications in 2010. Figure I would start with the Security+. I am starting to brainstorm what career path I want to take in IT. Currently, I am interested in Network Security.

Any particular advice, book(s), guides, websites would you recommend in preparing for the exam? How much time should I considered needed to pass this exam? I have a strong desktop background, but probably weak in overall Network Security I would guess.

Figure I would start with Security + and then maybe CISSP. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome.

I am not sure if you have read the theads but the S+ (along with the N+ and A+) are going to require recertification every 3 years. )

I'd say depending on your knowledge 1-2 months of solid studying will be plenty. Most people consider S+ to be pretty entry level in terms of difficulty. I have been using Darrils books Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books and have been passing the practice test in the book as well as some questions I have found on the internet (not brain ****). I personally started reading this book a few weeks ago (got sidetracked at work) and I can tell you that it is really good. I think it will be more than enough (material wise) to get over the S+ and lay a good foundation for my future studies.

CISSP requires a lot of stuff (mainly experience in Security) and is miles ahead of the S+ in terms of difficulty (some of our CISSP certified folks will be able to answer you better than I can, you may want to post in the part of the forum for that (ISC)² SSCP and CISSP - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums) so you may want to make that more of a distance goal (not to doubt you or anything like that icon_wink.gif). SSCP is (apparently) in the middle in terms of difficulty (again our certified folks might be able to tell you much better).

I'd say grab Darrils book, hit it hard, maybe pick up Transcender for good measure(up)- (that was a very bad joke) and then kill that thing and move on to bigger and better things.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588

Welcome to the forums.

With 10 years experience in desktop support, you're well poised to elevate your career with some other certs and security is becoming more and more important. I'm betting you'll find that a lot of knowledge and experience you already have will make it easier to pass some of these certs.

Security+ does lay a good foundation and I know the knowledge I gained from it certainly helped me earn my CISSP. Beware though, CISSP is quite challenging.

Knwminus has an excellent recommendation for a book:) and both he and dynamik give good advice.

Good luck.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    Security+ Tip of day Tweets
  • Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    dynamik wrote: »
    The Security+ is a great way to start. The CISSP requires five years of experience (four with Sec+, so that's probably not a good second choice for 2010 for you. I'd encourage you to supplement that with MS, *nix, or Cisco (whatever tickles your fancy), and then try to get some security responsibilities with one (or more) of those technologies.

This is good advice.

You might also want to consider the SSCP as a nearer-term goal that would lead you toward the CISSP after you have picked up some vendor certs. The SSCP only requires one year of experience. JDMurray shared his SSCP experience with TE in his SSCP blog article, and also has several others on the CISSP, if you want a first hand account to help you decide if it interests you.

Edit: Oops, knwminus already made the SSCP suggestion.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the advice! Sounds good. How much time should I give myself to prepare? 30 days? What is a good book or two to purchase to prepare?
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Darril's book on Security+ is a great read. Others have used it to successfully pass this test. I would think 30-60 days would be good if you can put in the effort.

Also, proprofs.com has a nice Sec+ study guide and some sample quizzes as well you might want to look at.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the advice! Sounds good. How much time should I give myself to prepare? 30 days? What is a good book or two to purchase to prepare?

Depends on your level of experience. I did it in 30 days, so it's definitely not impossible. I'd say 1-3 months based on experience. I schedule my exam upfront for my target date and then just push it back if i don't feel ready.
  • Options
    Darril wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums.

With 10 years experience in desktop support, you're well poised to elevate your career with some other certs and security is becoming more and more important. I'm betting you'll find that a lot of knowledge and experience you already have will make it easier to pass some of these certs.

Security+ does lay a good foundation and I know the knowledge I gained from it certainly helped me earn my CISSP. Beware though, CISSP is quite challenging.

Knwminus has an excellent recommendation for a book:) and both he and dynamik give good advice.

Good luck.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Tip of day Tweets

Are you able to get the book at Barnes and Noble or do you have to go to Amazon?
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Are you able to get the book at Barnes and Noble or do you have to go to Amazon?

The book is currently only available at Amazon.com or sy0-201.com.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog