Passed the BCMSN today... ISCW or ONT next?

sandpipersandpiper Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed the BCMSN today.

I already passed the BSCI, can anyone recommend which exam to work on next? ISCW or ONT?

Thanks, E

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sandpiper wrote: »
    ISCW or ONT?
    Are you going to be able to complete both by July 31st?

:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    I suggest ONT, I picked up maybe 60% of the content in 2 weeks. :P Watch out for the wireless, I hear ppl get a left hook from it :D
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Could be worth waiting for the official anouncement of the new track and just doing the troubleshooting exam to complete the NP.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • sandpipersandpiper Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea I should be able to finish by July 31st I really need to finish by May, something tells me I'll be looking for a job about that time.

Is there any disadvantage to finishing the current track?
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Yea I should be able to finish by July 31st I really need to finish by May, something tells me I'll be looking for a job about that time.

Is there any disadvantage to finishing the current track?

There is no disadvantage to finishing the current track. If they strip the material out that is in some of the exams, finishing this track will end up being a benefit. But, up to this point we have no idea what Cisco's intentions are or when the cut off date will be to finish this track. A friend of mine that is a CCIE recommended doing the ONT after I pass the BSCI. He said that within a month he picked up all the material, passed, and was ready to move on. But, this was before the ISCW was introduced, during the BCRAN (I believe) when it was still available. I am in the same boat as you. I passed the BCMSN. I test for the BSCI in 3 days. I plan to move on to ONT and then ISCW. My goal is to be finished by May as well. That is definitely kind of odd. Are you stalking me? :p Just kidding.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It's a good question, I'm in a very similar position. However I believe the "traditional" path towards CCNP-dom is BCMSN, BSCI, ISCW then ONT.

Though I did BSCI first so there goes practicing what I preach, eh?
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    @gorebush
    -same here I planned on taking BCMSN first but ended up doign BSCI. Geez looks like everyone I know that is working on NP is looking to complete before the changes.
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I'm taking BCMSN in a couple weeks, for better or worse. I plan on doing BSCI afterwards, then most likely just going for the composite TSHOOT exam to finish up, because I highly doubt I'll be able to finish ISCW and ONT before the end of the year.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Forgot to say congratulations!
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    I believe Cisco's recommendation for the exams is BSCI, BCMSN (or BCMSN, BSCI, your preference), ISCW, ONT. I did the BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW and am working on the ONT. It's worked out pretty well as far as overlap is concerned.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
    Thanks for all the advice. Im going the ISCW then ONT route.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for all the advice. Im going the ISCW then ONT route.

Why not just the new Trouble shoot exam? then you have will have the CCNP.

with the new exams path BSCI+BCMSN+troubleshoot =CCNP
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Why not just the new Trouble shoot exam? then you have will have the CCNP.

with the new exams path BSCI+BCMSN+troubleshoot =CCNP

It's in beta until april 30th. I wouldn't want to take a beta exam, who knows if it's riddled with errors or not.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's in beta until april 30th. I wouldn't want to take a beta exam, who knows if it's riddled with errors or not.

Then again you get it cheap. All Cisco exams have beta questions in them, that are non scoring.

And I hardly thing Cisco who pride them selves on having one of the most sort after certifications in the IT world are ever going to release even a Beta exam that is "riddled with errors"

In my view a beta is a good one to go for, you know people are going to be looking over the results with a fine tooth comb to make sure its reflects the level of expertise they require.

Anyhow sandpiper forgot to say well done on passing and good luck however you proceed :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    One more test sounds good to me, I just hate to waste the time not pursuing the goal. That suggestion made sense though.

thanks, Guys
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

At a third of the price and the results count for real if you pass? I think that's actually a pretty good deal. And if you don't pass, you just got a cheap preview of what you need to study for if you need to take it again. So either way, the beta exam can save you about $100 bucks.