Just purchased my book....

kasiechaoskasiechaos Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just purchased the Security + Get Started Get Ahead. Look forward to diving into it and getting started. Would folks also recommended the Comptia Exam Cram book too?

Comments

• kasiechaoskasiechaos Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kasiechaos wrote: »
    Just purchased the Security + Get Started Get Ahead. Look forward to diving into it and getting started. Would folks also recommended the Comptia Exam Cram book too?

Actually I just saw on Amazon that their are couple different Comptia Exam Cram books for Security +. Any particular one you suggest would be helpful?
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, I can't recommend anything from Comptia. Have you seen the new renewal policy?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    No, I can't recommend anything from Comptia. Have you seen the new renewal policy?

Seriously dude? Not everyone shares your opinion and this comptia-trolling has to stopicon_rolleyes.gif.

I would say Darrils book is good, whether or not it is all you need is entirely up to you. There are some post around here that have stated that you COULD pass with only this book. I personally will probably be using this, google searches, my notes, a Preplogic final review guide (it was 1$) and transcender for the exam.
    knwminus wrote: »
    Seriously dude? Not everyone shares your opinion and this comptia-trolling has to stopicon_rolleyes.gif.

I would say Darrils book is good, whether or not it is all you need is entirely up to you. There are some post around here that have stated that you COULD pass with only this book. I personally will probably be using this, google searches, my notes, a Preplogic final review guide (it was 1$) and transcender for the exam.

Good for you knwminus. We get it, you have a hard-on for CompTIA. Too bad your in the minority on this.

kasie, have you seen that Security+ is no longer a lifetime certification?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good for you knwminus. We get it, you have a hard-on for CompTIA. Too bad your in the minority on this.

@Steve:Actually Steve it is really getting old. I don't see Knwminus being blunt like that very often. I'm sure he is not trying to be a jerk. Just randomly popping into threads and slamming CompTIA is not going to make you any friends, in no ways helps this person (or anyone else), and detracts from your cause. I'm not trying to slam you here, I just think you need to slow down and think a little before you post.

kasiechaos: Good choice in a CompTIA Security+ book! I wish his book had been around when I was selecting Security+ books :)

The Security+ ExamCram book is a good choice. I used it as my primary study after I finished the exhaustive (in more than one way icon_tongue.gif it actually made me hate studying for it) Security+ book which was over 1,000 pages icon_rolleyes.gif. I don't think you will have quite the same problem with Darril's book. Just remember that the Security+ exam is more breadth in information than it is about depth.
    Vertias, I hear ya. Even though we've seen the policy change there are still alot of people that haven't.

That's all I trying to convey.

Yeah I have heard about that, but you have to take the test and pass before you can worry about renewing. Cant renew what I dont have.

Very true (about me being in the minority on this, not having a hard on icon_lol.gif) . I understand that what comptia did was a "bad" thing (but apparently well within their legal rights) but my thing is some of us still need to get those "entry level", "worthless certs". Some of us have very few years of exp and need to do something to stay ahead of the other crabs in the pot. For those of you who have "matured" (career wise) beyond that point, good for you (no I am not trying to be an ass, I am serious) but all of us aren't there yet. As I also said, I am just another wanna be IT pro trying to make it, I hold no stock in Comptia, Cisco, or any corp.

That said don't purposefully go out and try to discourage someone else from getting something that (despite it not being lifetime) will help them. That isn't cool and it isn't deserved. Like I said in the other forum, so what if they change it. Get more certs or renew them, the choice is yours.

Yeah I have heard about that, but you have to take the test and pass before you can worry about renewing. Cant renew what I dont have.

Don't worry about that stuff man. Just do what you have to do, go balls to the walls and do what you have to do. S+ is still worth something just don't put all of you eggs into a comptia basket. I'd say no more than 3-4 of those bad boys and then move on. IMO A+, N+, S+, Linux+, and maybe (in certain situations ) Server+ are still worth something.
    knwminus wrote: »

Don't worry about that stuff (wo?)man. Just do what you have to do, go balls to the walls (or whatever the acceptable equal is for a woman icon_lol.gif) and do what you have to do. S+ is still worth something just don't put all of you eggs into a comptia basket. I'd say no more than 3-4 of those bad boys and then move on. IMO A+, N+, S+, Linux+, and maybe (in certain situations ) Server+ are still worth something.

BTW, I am a male.
  • sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Kassie Darril's book is fairly good, also Exam cram book are good. But you need to use more than one source, plus download Techexans notes. They are very helpful. :)

@Steve dude you have to deal with it, whether you like it or not. If you don't want take test don't take it. Comptia doesn't force you to do it. It's your call.

Y.T.
    working on CCNA
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BTW, I am a male.

Well good for you! icon_lol.gif
    BTW, I am a male.

Fixed. Sorry Mr Man guy sir icon_lol.gif
    Got my book from Amazon. Exciting to get started reading it. Probably schedule the test for late March.
  • nebapnebnebapneb Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got my book from Amazon. Exciting to get started reading it. Probably schedule the test for late March.

got mine too in 5 days from the states!
    gonna plan my exam for may as i'm doing two modules for an open university degree as well
    so it'll slot nicely into a 'light' month there =)

opened and scanned it so far and mr G, its a fine looking book
    hoping it will help me pass as i'm looking to take the SCCP late this/early next year too

apparantly Comptia have changed their stance on their certification as well
    in that if you are a current +cert holder it stays a lifetime one
    and if you're studying and pass this year then its again a lifetime one
    but from 01/01/2011 the certs change to having a 3yr lifespan before re-certing

check out a certain authors blogspot for further info
    Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead: CompTIA Makes it Official - No Recertification until 2011

neb
    Knackered from working too much, yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn!
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I've seen a lot of comments about the CompTia renewal policy. I just found this on their website:

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

It looks like anyone that has, or will earn, a CompTia A+, Security+, or Network+ this year (2010) will maintain the cert for life. So I guess I'm missing all the CompTia-bashing? It sounds like they listened to everyone's complaints and changed their policy?
  • koolkekoolke Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Comptia has changed the initial policy they put out Jan 11th. However, I think that you would want to keep your skills relevant to today's ever changing realm of technology. If you have any of those certs you should be moving forward to bigger and better things any how. I'm just saying....icon_cool.gif