W2k8 Dumb Question

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
Our new exchange and SQL server will be on a W2k8x64 OS. The rest of our domain is W2k3 (x32 and x64).

I remember having to look at the domain functional level on the domain controllers regarding the OS's of other servers. Right now our DFL is "Windows Server 2003". My assumption is that I will need to raise this for the new 2k8 box...if that is correct, should i do that before or after...and what is it called (probably only one option anyway).

I havent had time to delve into 2k8, going to be a trial by fire...with the OS and Exchange

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    No!

If you raise the Domain functional level to 2008 you will be able to have ONLY 2008 DC's.

If they are only going to be member servers you dont need to do anything to the domain itself. There might be some exchange prep but im not 100% sure on that.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    You do not need to raise the functional level to introduce Windows 2008 application servers. You will however need to prep the domain for Exchange.
    Good luck to all!
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    You do not need to raise the functional level to introduce Windows 2008 application servers. You will however need to prep the domain for Exchange.

i did know that was coming. Just trying to jump off one bridge at a time. Get the arrays set right for a database/email server, then the OS, then the Exchange.

Thanks fellas. I love this community.