Annoying Vista problem...

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I have not used vista much at all (don't really care to) but I just bought a new PC, and want to wait until college classes begin and I have access to Technet again icon_wink.gif

So the weird problem I have involves UAC. I have configured an administrator password so it of course should ask for a password when ever you try to install, or modify something. Problem is it asks for a password but does not provide a place to type in one, and the ok button is grayed out. Down right weird! icon_shaking.gif Any ideas?

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    weird.

built in administrator account or a seperate admin account?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Please post a screen shot!

I bet your built-in administrator account is disabled and the only active account you have is a standard user.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Please post a screen shot!
    You need to alter a registry key to disable the UAC secure desktop security feature if you want to take a screenshot.
    tiersten wrote: »
    You need to alter a registry key to disable the UAC secure desktop security feature if you want to take a screenshot.

Dang! I would like to have seen this.

He'll have to fix it and then rebreak it for me! icon_wink.gif
    Dang! I would like to have seen this.

He'll have to fix it and then rebreak it for me! icon_wink.gif
    Nah. You should be able to see it. You just need to turn off the secure desktop part so UAC pops up on the regular user's desktop instead.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They are still selling new pc's with Vista? If you get the chance upgrade it to Windows 7 which is a considerable improvement over Vista.

or just turn off secure desktop in gpedit.msc if its Business/enterprise/ultimate.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    or just turn off secure desktop in gpedit.msc if its Business/enterprise/ultimate.
    Or that. Probably better that :)
    Nah. You should be able to see it. You just need to turn off the secure desktop part so UAC pops up on the regular user's desktop instead.
    Yes, but I am betting he has no enabled admin user. So he would have to fix the issue then turn of secure desktop and then rebreak it to make it have the problem again.
    Yes, but I am betting he has no enabled admin user. So he would have to fix the issue then turn of secure desktop and then rebreak it to make it have the problem again.
    Ahh okay. Got you now :)
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Run CMD as administrator

Net user administrator /active:yes

Google Top 10 Vista Hacks

:D
    Free Reading : History Books
    Figured out my problem. I was using my computer --> right-click--> manage--> then I gave rights. Seems that Vista prefers you use their normal GUI client for assigning regular user or administrator. Seems rather odd that this is the case.
    Figured out my problem. I was using my computer --> right-click--> manage--> then I gave rights. Seems that Vista prefers you use their normal GUI client for assigning regular user or administrator. Seems rather odd that this is the case.

Ive never had an issue doing it the "manage" way. icon_surprised.gif
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Ive never had an issue doing it the "manage" way. icon_surprised.gif

I never did when I was using XP...
    I never did when I was using XP...
    Something odd is going on because both methods should create proper administrator accounts even in Vista.