Options

Taking composite tomorrow with a small twist

shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
I actually don't like this part of networking. I have found a lot of this material not my cup of tea with a few exceptions.

With that said the material has made me so much more effective at work when weird OSPF and HSPR, problems come up. I'm able to get to Cisco's site right away and know what to look for to isolate the problem and get things working correctly(hey isnt' this what we get paid for anyway!!!) since I'm familure with the technology.

Im not even planning on passing, but I have to take it by the end of the week, so I might as well get it done. I'm really going to commit to getting my CCVP done(which is what I want) my employer wants the NP hince I will be looking for a internal xfer or finding a new job.

Have fun for those of you who enjoy this side of the house we need people like youicon_thumright.gif
Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related

Comments

• Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    good luck!
    the composite is quite an exam!

So what type of weird ospf and HSRP issues do you have at work?

I know about ospf, But i've never had to trouble shoot it in a production network. It just sits there doing it's ospf thing.
  • Options
    AlanJames wrote: »
    good luck!
    the composite is quite an exam!

So what type of weird ospf and HSRP issues do you have at work?

I know about ospf, But i've never had to trouble shoot it in a production network. It just sits there doing it's ospf thing.

well lets just say sometimes we have people who decide to add links for things and make neighbors they shouldn't make which can lead to some bad routing decisions, but we usually don't find out until something else breaks.

Other times we have setup backup links to work and fail over and the standby router goes active, but they added groups to the HSRP config that don't match, but once again you never know until it fails.

So having a good baseline of the concepts and knowing where to go when ish hits the fan saves time and keeps management off your back. I would have eventually figured out the OSPF problems, but if I never opened up a Switching book, I would have prob had to escalate the HSRP problem, I prob wouldn't have even known what it did.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    shodown wrote: »

Have fun for those of you who enjoy this side of the house we need people like youicon_thumright.gif

And back at you for the voice engineer side. I *hate* dealing with voice beyond the qos level, so I'm happy to keep the packets moving if you keep the voice mail working
  • Options
    And back at you for the voice engineer side. I *hate* dealing with voice beyond the qos level, so I'm happy to keep the packets moving if you keep the voice mail working

always a fair trade. People notice when either aren't working, but at least we have a finger to point at someone,lol.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    Well the Metro's are closed overground today and the testing center has a fast busy on the dial tone when you call them. I hope I dont lose out on anything. I cant get incontact with anyone and I can't change anything on the vue website. I guess I"ll be in the house all day today.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    shodown wrote: »
    Well the Metro's are closed overground today and the testing center has a fast busy on the dial tone when you call them. I hope I dont lose out on anything. I cant get incontact with anyone and I can't change anything on the vue website. I guess I"ll be in the house all day today.
    Find the Vue Phone number and give them a call. They may have more information about your test center, or at least could give you credit for a Snow Day. If you wait too long they may just play the "missed appointment" card and keep the money.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!