How do I know if my 2950s will take EI?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Below I got from cisco.com. Do you know guys if all I need is flash/dram requirement to run EI version on my 2950s. I think I am running SI version on all 3 but want to of course run the EI version. So all I need is the correct amount of memory? and how in the feature set of the IOS can you tel which is EI version of the ios what character symbols depict the EI version? or how do I find out ?

System image file is "flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin"
cisco WS-C2950-24 (RC32300) processor (revision G0)
with 20839K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FHK0650X0QY
Last reset from system-reset
Running Standard Image

!--- output suppressed ---
!--- You run the SI feature set. If this model of switch
!--- can run the EI, you see Running Enhanced Image.

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    2950's are hardware dependant, can't change it to EI simply by changing the IOS
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    forsaken thanks

but 3550s can from from SMI to EMI right with enterprise image?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    itdaddy wrote: »
    Yes. You can upgrade from SMI to EMI on a 3550 by just changing the IOS file.

SMI = L2 = Standard Multilayer Image but has now been renamed IP Base.
    EMI = L3 = Enhanced Multilayer Image but has now been renamed IP Services.

Enterprise was from the Cat 1900 which had an IOS like CLI if you have the Enterprise Edition loaded.

Newer routers and switches have the licensing restrictions now so enabling a new featureset involves typing in a code instead of replacing the firmware file.
    forsaken thanks

Yeah, Cisco figured out the IOS file change was a bad idea pretty quick. As tiersten mentioned, newer platforms have license restrictions. Some platforms they went back to being hardware dependant (like the 3560's)
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Yeah, Cisco figured out the IOS file change was a bad idea pretty quick. As tiersten mentioned, newer platforms have license restrictions. Some platforms they went back to being hardware dependant (like the 3560's)

Which 3560s are hardware dependent?
    whoops, I stand corrected, the 3560's can indeed be upgraded just through IOS image, unless they're 3560-E's, which will then have the feature licensing stuff applied
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Yea, they really screwed us with the 3560Es.icon_sad.gif
    Newer routers and switches have the licensing restrictions now so enabling a new featureset involves typing in a code instead of replacing the firmware file.

Tiersten,
    about the code key for licenses you mean Cisco has gone the way of MS$$$

what does a guy who has a home lab do? I mean I cant afford a 1,000.00 switch or router. how are guys like me suppose to train? Or buy ebay devices will someone provide us license or can they even do that? what do we do now I am worriedicon_redface.gif
    about the code key for licenses you mean Cisco has gone the way of MS$$$
    Not really. They've realised that too many people are obtaining higher feature set IOS files than they're actually entitled to. The license codes don't require online connectivity unlike Microsoft product activation.
    what does a guy who has a home lab do? I mean I cant afford a 1,000.00 switch or router. how are guys like me suppose to train?
    Read the other threads about this in the CCNA forum. People are calling for Cisco to add a training only license which is restricted in some manner e.g. throughput or number of connections.
    Or buy ebay devices will someone provide us license or can they even do that? what do we do now I am worriedicon_redface.gif
    Buy an older router or switch that doesn't have this licensing system. 1800, 2800 and 3800 all can run 15.0 and won't have the licensing system.
    tiersten

what is 15.0?? I thought IOS was 12.T latest ?

but I understand about the misuse but man going to get tough to really practice on real stuff...It would be nice to limit the license for training since we people who train on this stuff willl be endorsing and using it.
    thanks for the infor appreciate your help..

an to the guy who slammed this post. I would have never found out about the licensing issue doing that. and that is what IT friends are for. I live on an island and dont have any IT friends.....so I appreciate all the help I can get. That is what a forum is for -- people learning together..
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    going to get tough to really practice on real stuff...
    Rack rental has been and probably will continue to be a valid option for hands on lab work.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    what is 15.0?? I thought IOS was 12.T latest ?
    12.4T became 15.0 mainline. There is no 15.0T yet.
    Thanks mikej
    and Tiersten.

boy things are changing so fast I can barely keep up..
    thanks for all your help...and I appreciate your time and wisdom.
    I hope some day I can know as much as you guys ;)

yeah mike rack rental I can see that...good for the rack companies making money hope it can be affordable..;) well we shall see ;)

maybe I will open one up some day hee hee ;)

nite buds!icon_study.gif