Options

phew! still a jncie for 2 more years :)

zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
man these juniper certs seem to expire way tooooo fast. i still can't believe it's been nearly 2 years since i did the lab, and the anniversary could not have picked worse timing! just moved, new country, new city, new job, currently homeless, have a gazillion other things to learn. (side note: i am officially aldur's coworker now, same team and all (sigh :P ). but i have a much better customer to support :) hehe, while he's stuck supporting my former employer.)

so, with days slipping away and the deadline looming, i woke up today thinking today's the day, ready or not, i need to give it a shot so i have time to retake if needed. as you may surmise from the thread title, it worked out for the best. within 45 minutes after my test started, i had already driven home, jumped on the couch, lost the pants, started beer #1, and was breathing a satisfied sigh of relief. haha, i kid! pants are still on. sorry for that :) ya, i kinda raced thru the test as i'm pvr-less and am a slave to live tv programming once again. all that and house was a rerun! doh. at least i'll be ready for 24. but, i'm happy. stress gone and i owned that exam.

that being said, i still think it's a pretty easy test, provided you're comfortable with a lot of different technologies; mpls, l2vpn, l3vpn, mcast, isis, ospf, v6. so glad i've been a service provider networking dude.

how i prepared: sybex jncis-m cd. did all the practice tests; chapters, bonus chapters, assessment, bonus exams. i did every one of those questions today, and reviewed the answers/explanations. i also knew my weak points and quickly reviewed those topics in the sybex book. i found the assessment and bonus exams a lot more challenging than the actual exam. if you're acing the practice, then the real one will be easy. i for one, did not do well on the practice exams at all and was pretty worried about the real one :S. real one, way easier. killed it. didn't get the 100% i got 2-years ago, but i can live with the 96% for the time i put into study and writing. and i know exactly which silly is-is and mcast mistakes i made. i'll get those 2-years from now ;)

now i just need to worry about the enterprise routing in a couple months. sigh. that one i do not feel as confident about. give me mpls and ppvpns over ipsec, gre, and nat any day ;)

sorry, i guess beer makes me ramble :) . in closing...

if you have access to the sybex cd, use it! if you don't have access to the cd seeing these books are sadly out of print, bummer :S i know you can download the pdfs from juniper.net, but i don't believe you can get the cd content and i doubt they'll ever release that for free online. i'll try suggesting it to someone, but i don't see it happening icon_sad.gif

if you're preparing for the exam, feel free to hit me up for help, but i will adhere to the nda.

beer #2! :D

Comments

• Options
    hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Congrats ...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • Options
    thanks buddy! looking forward to seeing you add jncie-m to your list, and i'll buy you a beer to celebrate next time i hit sunnyvale :) let me know if there's anything i can do to help!
  • Options
    hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Thanks Zoidberg.. :) I think you and Zach would definitely love the weather here :)
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • Options
    yes i would! the bay area is beautiful.

i moved out of canada to escape the winter and i've seen more of it in the last 3 weeks than i have all season. doh!
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    zoidberg wrote: »
    side note: i am officially aldur's coworker now, same team and all (sigh :P ). but i have a much better customer to support :) hehe, while he's stuck supporting my former employer.)

I know, I did everything I could to keep you off the team! But really I think it was my strong opposition that convinced everybody that you'd be perfect! :p
    i still think it's a pretty easy test, provided you're comfortable with a lot of different technologies; mpls, l2vpn, l3vpn, mcast, isis, ospf, v6. so glad i've been a service provider networking dude.

Heh, back in the day when I was studying for this test I thought it was pretty though, then again I'd been only working with the routers for about a month at the time icon_silent.gif

It's my turn come October icon_surprised.gif Me thinks it will be somewhat easier this time around though :)
    now i just need to worry about the enterprise routing in a couple months. sigh. that one i do not feel as confident about. give me mpls and ppvpns over ipsec, gre, and nat any day ;)

I dunno man, just setup a SSM MVPN today, that was fun... Actually setting up the provider side of things was the easy part. But getting the Spirent working was a whole other deal. After 2 days of beating my head against my screen I finally broke down and used the wizard, had it working 10 mins later.... icon_silent.gif

And yes my wife gets mad at me for not stopping and asking for directions ;)
    hoogen82 wrote: »
    Thanks Zoidberg.. :) I think you and Zach would definitely love the weather here :)

Oh man, don't tempt me. Some beautiful sunny weather sounds sooooooooo good right now. Winters are long and cold up here.
    i moved out of canada to escape the winter and i've seen more of it in the last 3 weeks than i have all season. doh!

I let John know that you brought that crappy weather down there for him to enjoy ;)
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats on the recert. icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Damn I need to be in your shoes. I think I'm just going to break down and schedule the JNCIP-M like three months from now. This will force me to study my ass off between now and then.

I'm not sharp on policy subroutines. I need to hammer that out.
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Nice to know you still got it ;)

Congrats!
    Lab first, ask questions later