Computer Science = 6 figures

Want a job? Get a computer science degree

Just thought I would share that with you guys.
Knowledge is Power.

Comments

• RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    "That's the advice coming out of the top U.S. computer science programs"

Guys, if you follow all my of posts advice, you will earn 7 figures.

See how if I make that statement, it doesn't make it true or believable? lol

Same concept here. Top CS schools in the country say that if you get a CS degree, you make 6 figures. And I am sure Top Culinary schools in the country say you can make 6 figures getting a Culinary degree.

I am sure there are people that hold a CS degree or a Culinary degree that make 6 figures. But that degree isn't the only deciding factor, I guarantee you.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Coming from caltech,MIT,stanford,berkeley or carnegie I'd imagine so. For anyone else probably not and that's more to do with perception than anything else. Getting in is the tricky part and now most programs are rolling CS students into engineering faculties which in general commands higher than average salaries.

The university network is more important the the level of intelligence of the student. Mind you i'd take an MIT student in a heartbeat if I could get my hands on one. There SDM program is amazing to put it frankly
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Guys, if you follow all my of posts advice, you will earn 7 figures.

See how if I make that statement, it doesn't make it true or believable? lol

Same concept here. Top CS schools in the country say that if you get a CS degree, you make 6 figures. And I am sure Top Culinary schools in the country say you can make 6 figures getting a Culinary degree.

I am sure there are people that hold a CS degree or a Culinary degree that make 6 figures. But that degree isn't the only deciding factor, I guarantee you.

Truer words have not been spoken (or typed).
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Bingo! icon_thumright.gif

I just don't see much use for a Computer Science degree unless you are after a job in programming.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    The article is an advertisement and it's too easy to buy into it.

It's not computer science schools that decide which careers are the best. Remember they're on the supply side of job market, so they can say anything they want. Second, the opinion is very biased in that they promote what they teach/sell.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bingo! icon_thumright.gif

I just don't see much use for a Computer Science degree unless you are after a job in programming.

I graduated from a top 10 CS school and there is alot more than just programming. Mainframes, databases, cryptography, AI, physical component design, electrical engineering,physics etc. Alot of which you don't get in an IS degree. (Not better different)

I do 0 programming and never had any intention of getting into it. CS opens you up to a huge market not just cisco or microsoft administration.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I don't think coming from a top CS school really should qualify you for a 6 figure salary....I did my BS in 2 years and I didn't get a 6 figure salary. It is clearly a marketing article and Network world is known for "over hyping" their material.
    GAngel wrote: »
    I graduated from a top 10 CS school and there is alot more than just programming. Mainframes, databases, cryptography, AI, physical component design, electrical engineering,physics etc. Alot of which you don't get in an IS degree. (Not better different)

I do 0 programming and never had any intention of getting into it. CS opens you up to a huge market not just cisco or microsoft administration.

Yours is an exception from what I have seen then. I don't mean any insult, but most schools I have seen CS = mostly programming/math.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anyone with a CS degree should easily make 7 figures**

**As long as you count those numbers after the decimal point
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Yeah well the richest man in the world dropped out of college.

Stick that in port 80 and smoke it.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    hyper-me wrote: »
    stick that in port 80 and smoke it.

lol :)
    Kam.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Yeah well the richest man in the world dropped out of college.

Stick that in port 80 and smoke it.

It's funny you mention that, there was some other article that the "misses" was reading that talked about the top 40 people under 40. About 70% of them didn't go to college. What does that tell you? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • queritquerit Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I’ve a CS degree and I can say that it is a waste of time. I spend a lot of time braking my head with math (I hate math) and with some programming. Now I'm a IT Technician and what make me a tech was the certs. Believe me a BS in CS is a waste of time.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    It's funny you mention that, there was some other article that the "misses" was reading that talked about the top 40 people under 40. About 70% of them didn't go to college. What does that tell you? icon_rolleyes.gif
    ...that 28 people out of billions are so awesome that they don't need college to be awesome?

Honestly though, just because a handful of people were able to succeed without degrees, it doesn't mean that degrees aren't necessary or that they aren't a key contributor to success. I'm not saying that degrees will get you 6 figures or guarantee you riches and success in life, but the numbers don't lie - the vast majority of those with degrees will out-earn those without.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Makes you wonder if a lot of places simply require a degree for the sake of requiring a degree and it is "the thing to do".

Also, there seems to be a trend of escalation going on.

A Bach. doesn't seem to mean as much as it used to. Now it is pretty standard these days, doesn't really indicate superior knowledge. So many places are requiring a Masters. And soon, everyone will chase that degree because that will be the norm. And then a PhD will be required for everything, etc.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
    skrpune wrote: »
    ...that 28 people out of billions are so awesome that they don't need college to be awesome?

Honestly though, just because a handful of people were able to succeed without degrees, it doesn't mean that degrees aren't necessary or that they aren't a key contributor to success. I'm not saying that degrees will get you 6 figures or guarantee you riches and success in life, but the numbers don't lie - the vast majority of those with degrees will out-earn those without.

Well, if numbers don't lie like you say, then you have a better chance of making it to the top without a degree according to the info above (not that I've verified it or anything). I think any numbers can be misleading and you can't simply go off them.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Sweet, I love the "degree vs no degree" debates!
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Sweet, I love the "degree vs no degree" debates!

More of a "take numbers at their face value or not" debate. Hopefully we don't have to have another debate about degrees or not. That one goes in an endless circle every time.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i earn 7 to 8 figures when i convert the percentage amount of taxes i pay each check to decimal and add those 3 digits to the 5 figures i earn now lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    Makes you wonder if a lot of places simply require a degree for the sake of requiring a degree and it is "the thing to do".

You hit the nail on the head.

I see an inordinate amount of sys admin/network engineer job postings asking for "a BS in Computer Science"....when the 2 arent really even relavent to one another. They dont know what it is, they just think it sounds good.

Don't get me started on the people who have degrees in stuff thats so worthless its not even funny, like "film studies"
    Don't get me started on the people who have degrees in stuff thats so worthless its not even funny, like "film studies"

My favorite is Game Design icon_wink.gif
    skrpune wrote: »

You did the math ??!! lol

I agree with what you are saying though I think a degree in a RELEVANT field is always a good idea, I do with colleges these day did a better job to prepare students going into the real world. I like that I have a BS and I actually use many of the things that I learned in classes during school. It just would have made me more marketable and easier to find a GOOD job had they talked about the importance of internships and certifications before leaving school.
    It just would have made me more marketable and easier to find a GOOD job had they talked about the importance of internships and certifications before leaving school.

I know the feeling! If I had not found TechExams last year I would probably be still trying to figure out what to do with my IT career.
    It just would have made me more marketable and easier to find a GOOD job had they talked about the importance of internships and certifications before leaving school.

Yes but this would undermine their degree program since they like to tell you crap like the article posted above. They dont want you to think that you need anything in tandum to their degree.

If anyone actually thinks that getting XYZ degree translates directly into a paycheck then they are too dumb to graduate anyway.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I see an inordinate amount of sys admin/network engineer job postings asking for "a BS in Computer Science"....when the 2 arent really even relavent to one another. They dont know what it is, they just think it sounds good.

This sets me right off. At 33, I feel like I have to go to Uni and get a degree just because some HR goons like to look at pretty acronyms.

I think I'll get a BS in SuperCoolAwesomeWickedness.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think college is over rated and people should not go if they don't want to

Especially in IT

I am serious

Really serious if you work in Michigan

Because it makes my degree worth more icon_wink.gif