Cisco 7912G & CME 4.3 question ..

pakidevilpakidevil Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi,
I am very new in Voice area so please, HELP me out .. I bought 2, 7912G phones and installed CME 4.3 on 2801 .. now when i checked the installed folders, i don't see any firmware files under phones folder ... i googled it and know that its possible to install these phones ... any HELP would be really appreciatalble .. any links, any tutorial about, how to make these phones work with CME 4.3 .. thanks again ..

Comments

• mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    pakidevil wrote: »
    hi,
    I am very new in Voice area so please, HELP me out .. I bought 2, 7912G phones and installed CME 4.3 on 2801 .. now when i checked the installed folders, i don't see any firmware files under phones folder ... i googled it and know that its possible to install these phones ... any HELP would be really appreciatalble .. any links, any tutorial about, how to make these phones work with CME 4.3 .. thanks again ..
    These phones will work, this is a combination I have tested during my Voice studies, infact it is not always necessary to have the firmware files on the router if the firmware allready in the phone is a supported version for the CME version you are running. It is definitely good practice have them on the router though.

You are aware CME has two parts, the core voice capability is in the IOS image installed in the router. The other part is the voice support files which come in the form of a tar archive that is extracted into the routers flash. The support files include firmware phone loads, a web admin interface, ring tones etc. Problem being with these support files is that the full set come to about 70MB, unles you have 128MB flash in the 2801 you're not going to get it installed. Because of this there are some 'basic' tar files out there with a very limited set of files (no phone firmware I believe). I needed to hack around with the tar file to remove all the phone loads to allow me to get the support files on to the router. I then manually tftp'ed the required phone load files across to the router.

You may find firmware for some phones is missing from some of the support files archives, maybe for brand new or older end of life phones. To fix this I looked for other versions of the support files 4.1 & 7 to find them then used tftp to get them onto the router
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • pakidevilpakidevil Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks very much for the reply .. but my problem is i DON'T see any 7912 supported firmware files in any CME version .. am i the only one ??? I did downloaded many different ( FULL ) version as well but all of them were missing 7912 files ???? If you don't mind, could you be little more specific, HOW DID YOU MAGANGE TO INSTALL 7912 under CME 4.3 or any version .. I would really appreciate .. or if you could send me any link, from where i could download 7912 firmware files .. Thanks again ..
  • auosauos Member Posts: 186
    Hi,
    I face same problem.
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    hi,

send me a PM, I may be able to help with this.

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
    thanks very much for the reply .. but my problem is i DON'T see any 7912 supported firmware files in any CME version .. am i the only one ??? I did downloaded many different ( FULL ) version as well but all of them were missing 7912 files ???? If you don't mind, could you be little more specific, HOW DID YOU MAGANGE TO INSTALL 7912 under CME 4.3 or any version .. I would really appreciate .. or if you could send me any link, from where i could download 7912 firmware files .. Thanks again ..
    Wow, I knew I had seen it somewhere, I eventually found the 7912 firmware in a file I called "cme-124-15T.zip" for CME 4.1. The file is named CP7912080001SCCP051117A.sbin

Atleast I think that is the one I used on my 7912

auos wrote: »
    Hi,
    I face same problem.
    Out of interest, what are you guys seeing on the 7912 when you boot it up? Most of my phones have been second hand and already had the correct firmware allready installed.

I did however get a new 7912 & 7941 and from memory I'm sure they worked out of the box.