270 Exam Failed :(

King_RooTKing_RooT Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys i Failed on Exam Today, i Had 466 Points.icon_sad.gif i Am Going to Go on Exam 7 days Later on. Can SOme one Help me with this situation which software would me to pass the exam?...

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I don't mean to be discouraging, but I would recommend holding off on retaking the exam until you get some more study time in - it's a relatively wide margin from your score to the pass mark to be spending just a few days reviewing. Use your exam score report as your guide on your weak spots and go back to hit the books on those topics, and then when you're comfortable with those topics go back for round 2 on the exam. Again, I'm not trying to be discouraging or mean, just trying to be realistic and give you some honest feedback to try to help you succeed on your next shot.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    It is a really dry read but the microsoft 70-270 is a real good book as far as content. I used that and the Sybex book and scored 980 today... so pick yourself up and get back on the horse. I failed the CCNA 2 times before passing it so I know how you feel.
  • docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its a real hard exam for your first (guessing its ur first), i failed it twice before
    passing on 3rd go. I found it was the study material i was using that was wrong for
    me.
    I dumped the online ....... (better not say names) that i had bought as it was crap
    and used what other advised on this board. ie Videos/books/tests.

Stick in
    D.S.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can someone fill me in with the scoring methods for this test? Total score, score needed, is it a simple % score or do they have their own method of scoring like CompTIA uses.

I have been studying off and on for several months now and it is hard. The hardest part is that it is XP, and I know some of the stuff very well and it gets boring but then there is so much I don't know and it is confusing, especially lacking the hands on practice. Add also with that that I get some vista stuff mixed up in it and it makes for a very difficult test. I wanted to have passed it by now, but I'm still only scoring 60% on practice tests. (Transcender and this site)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    I don't mean to be discouraging, but I would recommend holding off on retaking the exam until you get some more study time in - it's a relatively wide margin from your score to the pass mark to be spending just a few days reviewing. Use your exam score report as your guide on your weak spots and go back to hit the books on those topics, and then when you're comfortable with those topics go back for round 2 on the exam. Again, I'm not trying to be discouraging or mean, just trying to be realistic and give you some honest feedback to try to help you succeed on your next shot.

I agree with skrpune on this, you need to give yourself more time, before moving on. With any client OS exams you really want to make sure you understand as much functionality as possible, especially when you are working for an organisation in a supporting role or even a developer role. Actually no matter what I.T role you are in, it is generally helpful to know a good amount about client OS's.

Also you will find if you progress onto an MCSE (Or I suppose you may move to MCITP 08 exams by then), a lot of the tools and features they introduce for controlling and modifying clients from a server, will link in with the OS features (Things like Group policy, Windows Updates, Remote desktop, SMS/SCCM etc).

Most of these features are introduced in later exams through MCSE and MCITP Server 08 but concentrating more from the server side rather than the client. But you will know what settings these features are manipulating in the client, which will help you prepare, design, or troubleshoot. It is very helpful to know about a client OS for SMS and SCCM (Trust me especially for image building).

Try this book (I think this is the one citinerd was referring to):

MCSA/MCSE Installing, Configuring, & Administering Win XP Pro Training Kit Book/CD Package 2nd Edition: Installing, Configuring, and Administering ... Windows XP Professional Pro-Certification: Amazon.co.uk: Walter Glenn and Tony Northrup: Books

Also the CBT vidz aren't too bad for this exam. Make sure you get as much hands on as possible. Virtual environments can help with this (Microsoft Virtual PC, Virtual Box, or VMware workstation).

Good luck, never give up! Remember your house will fall down without solid foundations in place. It is better to fail now, realise you mistakes, and build yourself back up with better knowledge and skills.
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cant substitute books/practice exams for experience. the mcsx series, as microsoft states in their site, is purposely heavy on hands-on experience.

the road map is simple as long as you got most of the experience, what youre graded against is given to you (objectives). whatever youre rusty on just get plenty of hands on and do the research (so you understand) to make sure it sticks.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    humble2007 wrote: »
    Can someone fill me in with the scoring methods for this test? Total score, score needed, is it a simple % score or do they have their own method of scoring like CompTIA uses.

70-270 uses the Microsoft scoring method, and nobody really knows what that is. Each quesiton is weighted differently. Passing score is 700 or above.

If you are lacking hands on experience, my recommendation is to get a lab going. I've been using XP since 2001 and when I took the test last month I scored just under the 800 mark. Dont underestimate the exam, it is difficult.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    70-270 uses the Microsoft scoring method, and nobody really knows what that is. Each quesiton is weighted differently. Passing score is 700 or above.

If you are lacking hands on experience, my recommendation is to get a lab going. I've been using XP since 2001 and when I took the test last month I scored just under the 800 mark. Dont underestimate the exam, it is difficult.

As your reading the book, take a little time to try it yourself. Especially with the group policy stuff, performance monitor, and pretty much anything else that is through the MMC.

Play with permissions. Stick a couple folders on your desktop and stick some text files (I usually throw a line in) to practice compression, encryption, and permissions.

You don't NEED to do those things, since this isn't a performance based exam, but it makes it a lot easier to understand what is going on. And this test does test you on whether you understand or not.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Jonny70Jonny70 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you have a second shot voucher? If so its stays good until June 30, 2010 and you should definitely give yourself more time to study!