128MB.sdf or 256MB.sdf

dmb2002mandmb2002man Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am studying for my ccna security exam and where can i find this file so i can test this out when setting up Intrusion prevention system. It is not on either my 7206, 3640, 3725 ios images and i really would like to test this out.

thanks

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    They're packaged with SDM.
  • dmb2002mandmb2002man Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    They're packaged with SDM.

hello,

I am using sdm 2.5 and i browse to the sdm folder and try to specify the 128MB.sdf but it gives me this error.

sdmError.jpg
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    What version IOS are you trying to run IPS on? Cisco changed the IPS file format from version 4 to 5 around 12.4(11)T and as a result there appears to be inconsistencies with the definition file format expected with the SDM 2.5, the IOS and what signature definition files Cisco make available.

When I was working on CCNA:S I got hold of a version 5 IPS file (IOS-S313-CLI.pkg) but agiain SDM would not accept it. The trick was to copy it to the routers flash then when selecting the file in SDM point if to the file in flash. SDM would then configure it all up fine. It may work with the sdf file.

EDIT : SDM is end of life so having these inconsistencies is to be expected. One day I guess the exam will be updated to reflect it and adopt Cisco Configuration Professional.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    You need v5 IOS router IPS signatures. You need a service contract to download them from Cisco.com however.
    mikem2te wrote: »
    What version IOS are you trying to run IPS on? Cisco changed the IPS file format from version 4 to 5 around 12.4(11)T and as a result there appears to be inconsistencies with the definition file format expected with the SDM 2.5, the IOS and what signature definition files Cisco make available.

When I was working on CCNA:S I got hold of a version 5 IPS file (IOS-S313-CLI.pkg) but agiain SDM would not accept it. The trick was to copy it to the routers flash then when selecting the file in SDM point if to the file in flash. SDM would then configure it all up fine. It may work with the sdf file.

EDIT : SDM is end of life so having these inconsistencies is to be expected. One day I guess the exam will be updated to reflect it and adopt Cisco Configuration Professional.

c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T5.bin

i just tried to copy to flash and it doesnt detect it. I did this command show flash and it shows the 128mb.sdf.

System CompactFlash directory:
    File Length Name/status
    1 527849 128MB.sdf
    [527916 bytes used, 66580944 available, 67108860 total]
    65536K bytes of ATA System CompactFlash (Read/Write)
    dmb2002man wrote: »
    c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T5.bin

i just tried to copy to flash and it doesnt detect it. I did this command show flash and it shows the 128mb.sdf.
    You need a v5 IOS router IPS signature file. The old SDF files don't work with 12.4.15T.
    ok everyone i got it to accept the signature file in ios 7206. What i had to do was format disk0:

copy tftp disk0:
    -then just fill in the rest of the info from your tftp server. After it copies then run show disk0: and you will see it. Then start sdm and it will find it.

ips7206.jpg
  • geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    Just stumbled across this post and having similar problems. I am using SDM v2.5 on GNS3 3725 (enterprise 12.4(15)T8 ) and obtained IOS-313-CLI.PKG and although it is detected there are just 3 basic signatures found and as such no filtering can take place. Can I confirm the size of the above IOS signature file with anyone who has used it first of all as mine is 7.6MB?

Thanks in advance
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!