While waiting....

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
On this job to come through I figure I should pick up a MS cert. I starting towards the MCSA today. I am going to pick up this book Amazon.com: MCSE Core Required Exams in a Nutshell: The required 70: 290, 291, 293 and 294 Exams (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly)) (9780596102289): William R. Stanek: Books

and this book Amazon.com: MCSA/MCSE: Windows Server 2003 Environment Management and Maintenance Study Guide: Exam 70-290 (9780782144482): Lisa Donald, James Chellis: Books

and a few VMs and the interwebz, anyone think this is enough. I have plenty of time right now icon_redface.gif so I am going to try to get the 290 done in a few weeks (early april) then 291 and 680. Anyone have any other suggestions (I have read the faqs)?

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also does anyone know where I can get a Server 2003 eval? If I have a 2003 disc are there any eval codes I can put in?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am going to PM you...
    I am going to PM you...

I replied.

I was able to find a eval disc at the library and I also picked up the MCSE core book. It seems to have good rating on Amazon. That along with the sybex books, labing and some notes here SHOULD(?) be enough. At any rate I want to put in about 4-5 weeks for each of these test (290, 291, and 680). Of course I have factored in possibly failing and have allocated time for that as well but as long as I get it all done before June 30th I will be happy. So without further BSing, this will start day 1 of my 290 studies.
    Ok I am trying to get virual box up and running on centos and I am running into some problems. I want to try to get about 2 server images and run client image up and running. Is this enough or should I aim for more images?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2 server images - 1 DC and a member or standalone, along with a client should work for most of the exercises. Give yourself plenty of time on the 291, it is a challenging exam due to broad range of topics.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    2 server images - 1 DC and a member or standalone, along with a client should work for most of the exercises. Give yourself plenty of time on the 291, it is a challenging exam due to broad range of topics.

Not to get ahead of myself but comparing 290 and 291 what is the difference in level of difficulty? 5 out of 10 vs 6 out of 10? more? less? I have heard 291 being called the beast by some but hopefully it won't beat me up to bad...
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The 291 exam isn't so hard anymore as it's been updated. It does however cover a bigger range of topics. DNS and IPSec aren't the easiest of subjects and if you haven't done much with them it's best to take your time. I recommend the Testout CBT, it explains everything really well. It doesn't include WSUS though.

290 has it's own challenges but is at least contained to a server, as opposed to network infrastructure. Much easier for hands on study.
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    The 291 exam isn't so hard anymore as it's been updated. It does however cover a bigger range of topics. DNS and IPSec aren't the easiest of subjects and if you haven't done much with them it's best to take your time. I recommend the Testout CBT, it explains everything really well. It doesn't include WSUS though.

290 has it's own challenges but is at least contained to a server, as opposed to network infrastructure. Much easier for hands on study.

Dude I am freaking broke lol. I will be using book++ (ya dig?) lol. But I mean I understand ipsec from the CCNA:S and I hope that will carry over pretty well. I have the Sybex book for 291 (290 is on its way) and I have the MCSE in a nutshell. I hope that will be enough (along with many hours of studying).
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    K - You are welcome to my MOAC books for the MCSE. We'll figure something out as far as dropping them off. I have TONS of stuff from when I was studying for the MCSE. I have been trying to give them to a few friends for a while now. All I need is the PDFs, which I can put on my Kindel. The Nutshell book is good, but reall only as a general review before the exam.
    K - You are welcome to my MOAC books for the MCSE. We'll figure something out as far as dropping them off. I have TONS of stuff from when I was studying for the MCSE. I have been trying to give them to a few friends for a while now. All I need is the PDFs, which I can put on my Kindel. The Nutshell book is good, but reall only as a general review before the exam.

I totally forgot to call you yesterday. I am going to send you a PM.