Options

Taking on the CCIE: My Journey

Comments

• Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Looks like the timer applies to the dynamic protocols as well. Not sure if it's as designed. I will read a little bit in the Cisco Docs on EtherChannel, on a 3550 specifically later when I'm done labbing.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    Havent had a chance to read on the weird Etherchannel behavior, will probably get to that today. Maybe, I have a migration, unexpected, this week so I have to prepare for that. Building the DHCP scope, the printer queues, prepping the file system structure on the servers. I'm pretty sick of doing it all by now, being a year into it lol. We only have a few more sites left though, then it's on to Exchange :).

I got to lab quite a bit yesterday and my last lab before calling it a day was 802.1Q tunneling. This was my first time doing this, if it was in the CCNP BCMSN, I didnt pay attention to that portion and it obviously wasnt too big of a topic because I passed it. At any rate, as I ran through the configuration just kind of trying to feel my way around it, it didnt seem very difficult. So I configured it, then looked to confirm and it hadnt taken. I didnt get the expected result. So I left it alone, and went to bed. I figured I was probably tired. I ran the same lab this morning, for about an hour along with a practice exam on Layer 2 topics, and the lab yielded the expected results. CDP tunneled between my switches transparently and 2 of my routers see each other as neighbors even though they are not directly connected. Cool stuff actually, I can see how it would be advantageous in a provider network. Anyway, off to work now, another day another dollar :)

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CDP tunneled between my switches transparently and 2 of my routers see each other as neighbors even though they are not directly connected. Cool stuff actually, I can see how it would be advantageous in a provider network.

On that note, INE did a brainteaser with STP, and the idea was that you forced a root port, but you weren't allowed to alter port cost, etc etc..the end result was that you tunneled the BPDU's with l2protocol, and therefore the switch "thought it was directly connected to the root, and chose that path, pretty slick!
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Here you go man:
    Errdisable Port State Recovery on the Cisco IOS Platforms - Cisco Systems

Check out the etherchannel misconfig section. STP ends up putting it into the err-disabled state if the other side is left as individual switchports for a "minute or so"<--it actually says this! You were using this "on" command I assume. You can work around this issue by letting it negotiate the etherchannel. Congrats on the tourney bro.
  • Options
    yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    Hey SysAdmin, nice to see you ccie blog here.

Are you going to invest in a 3560? I have a 3550 myself and have been contemplating purchasing a 3560, just finding it hard to justify the $1,000 price tag.
  • Options
    Here you go man:
    Errdisable Port State Recovery on the Cisco IOS Platforms - Cisco Systems

Check out the etherchannel misconfig section. STP ends up putting it into the err-disabled state if the other side is left as individual switchports for a "minute or so"<--it actually says this! You were using this "on" command I assume. You can work around this issue by letting it negotiate the etherchannel. Congrats on the tourney bro.

Thanks I'll check it out. Yeah, originally I was using the "on" switch, but I saw the same behavior with the dynamic protocols as well. Both PaGP and LACP reacted the same if SW1 was configured first, then each side was individually configured. Incidently, LACP reacts just a touch different than PaGP when configuring the other side immediately and has a slight delay before bringing the port-channel interface up. There is also a message that's along the lines of the other side isnt configured properly for each of the interfaces you have setup, about 3 seconds go by, then the ports come up and the channel comes up. Weird. Seems sort of a bad idea to have the ports go into err-disable, and not allow for a reset by just shutdown/no shutdown. At least that didnt work for me, I had to completely reboot the switches involved. Can anyone confirm that there is no other way to bring those ports up on the channel besides a switch reboot?

Thanks Jason, the tourney was fun. Family came out and watched, one of my co-workers came out as well. It was a good experience :)

• Options
    yuriz43 wrote: »
    Hey SysAdmin, nice to see you ccie blog here.

Are you going to invest in a 3560? I have a 3550 myself and have been contemplating purchasing a 3560, just finding it hard to justify the $1,000 price tag.

I hadnt planned on it, they are just too expensive and honestly not different enough to warrant a purchase. I plan to rent some rack time when I absolutely need to get hands on with them, which I'm sure will be between now and the lab.

• Options
    Hey man, good job on the tourney, I didn't have time to read through it until a few minutes ago. Sounds great! I remember one of my tourney's, I was sitting near a group of some guys that were from an elite club in the area (remember, it was judo, back in missouri), and I listened to them talk about how they planned on submitting each of their opponents..

At that moment I decided which choke I'd use to make that guy tap, called Kataha Jime in Judo..means 'single wing choke'. Sure enough, took him out with it..best part of it all was my coach was one of the refs there. Afterwards he kind of went "what the.. we never went over that"..hah..

Anyway, this etherchannel business. I'm kind of cloudy on exactly when this is happening. Could you post your config for each side's ports? I got my rack up now, I was going to try to duplicate it if possible. You can PM me the configs if you want, whichever works..

Keep the good work up man :)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    On that note, INE did a brainteaser with STP, and the idea was that you forced a root port, but you weren't allowed to alter port cost, etc etc..the end result was that you tunneled the BPDU's with l2protocol, and therefore the switch "thought it was directly connected to the root, and chose that path, pretty slick!

Very good. The practice labs will offer lots of opportunity to use some lateral thinking to achieve a requirement! Its a way of testing if you know how things work and how to apply them to your advantage.
  • Options
    Havent had a chance to read on the weird Etherchannel behavior, will probably get to that today. Maybe, I have a migration, unexpected, this week so I have to prepare for that. Building the DHCP scope, the printer queues, prepping the file system structure on the servers. I'm pretty sick of doing it all by now, being a year into it lol. We only have a few more sites left though, then it's on to Exchange :).

I got to lab quite a bit yesterday and my last lab before calling it a day was 802.1Q tunneling. This was my first time doing this, if it was in the CCNP BCMSN, I didnt pay attention to that portion and it obviously wasnt too big of a topic because I passed it. At any rate, as I ran through the configuration just kind of trying to feel my way around it, it didnt seem very difficult. So I configured it, then looked to confirm and it hadnt taken. I didnt get the expected result. So I left it alone, and went to bed. I figured I was probably tired. I ran the same lab this morning, for about an hour along with a practice exam on Layer 2 topics, and the lab yielded the expected results. CDP tunneled between my switches transparently and 2 of my routers see each other as neighbors even though they are not directly connected. Cool stuff actually, I can see how it would be advantageous in a provider network. Anyway, off to work now, another day another dollar :)

Switching practice is often underestimated by CCIE candidates at their peril! CDP tunnelling and all forms of tunneling are tested strongly in the lab. Time well spent I think.
  • Options
    Hey Turgon, nice to see your voice again lol. How's Spain coming along? You working on your spanish at all?

• Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I'm kind of cloudy on exactly when this is happening. Could you post your config for each side's ports? I got my rack up now, I was going to try to duplicate it if possible. You can PM me the configs if you want, whichever works..

Keep the good work up man :)

Thanks for the congrats on the tourney. It was fun, and I'm considering the Pan Ams coming up in April. My instructor is putting together a team to compete and would like me to participate. I'm not sure, but i'm considering.

As for the Etherchannel thing, it's nothing special. Just check out the INE workbook Vol I portion for EC. It's sections 1.12 - 1.15. If you configure all of SW1s channel ports first, then go to each switch and configure it's channel ports to SW1, it will fail. You'll have to reboot the switches. If you configure channel port 12, then configure it on SW2, it will come up. I just did something else using the dynamic protocols and it came up no problem. "On" still has the same behavior. So I guess it must just be that particular switch. and it seems like it's as designed.

• Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Ya, I will have to try it on the 3550, but I could always recover from those types of err-disables with a simple shut, no shut on the port-channel interface (if it failed on the side you had already configured). What side were you getting the err on? Was it the side you had configured on SW1, or the other side(s)?
  • Options
    Both sides.

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Very good. The practice labs will offer lots of opportunity to use some lateral thinking to achieve a requirement! Its a way of testing if you know how things work and how to apply them to your advantage.

I love this about networking, a few months back, I needed to get a connection from one side of our site to the other. but the connection needed to carry about 6 VLANS, and needed to be seperate from the rest of the corprate network. In my head, laying in bed I developed the method of "802.1Q tunneling". I got up the next moring thinking wouldn't it be useful if some one implemented that idea... Only to find that some one already had.. It seems in networing if you can imagen something, then the chances are its possible to do. And 90% of the time some one has already been there before you documented/implemented it.

To me the basic fundementals of networking are all pretty stright forward, does a packet go this way or that way? should I block it or let it pass..

Take the simple fundementals, mix them about a bit, apply some lateral thinking. And you end up with some really cool stuff.

Can't wait to get my CCNP out the way and start playing with the CCIE topics.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Moving forward with the next chapter in the exam guide, IP Addressing. I will still be working layer 2 labs, and doing layer 2 practice exams in the meantime. I'm really rusty on subnetting, as i'm sure most of us are, but it's like riding a bike. I've had to refresh that subject quiet a few times over the last 10 years since first learning it. I'll be right back in the saddle in no time i'm sure. I got the command memoriser suite, with a bunch of useful programs, something I can kinda run through to keep sharp while not doing full fledged labs. The whole suite was only 150 bucks, and came with a lot of stuff, so I think I got a pretty good deal. I'll start messing with that stuff sometime this week.

• Options
    something I can kinda run through to keep sharp while not doing full fledged labs.

I hear ya. I really feel I'll learn a lot once I start the full labs..I can't wait. In the meantime we have to study the technologies obviously but, it's something to look forward to..
  • Options
    So IP Addressing is not going to be any fun, but as I suspected, its like riding a bike. It never leaves, just goes into hibernation. The problem is, I need lots of practice. I've got a few programs for that purpose, but here's a web based app that I used while studying for my CCNA a little more than 4 years ago.

Subnetting Quiz -- Steve Kehlet's Pages

Once I re-learned subnetting at the time, I needed something to practice with and this was all I used. I would do this for hours a day, just running through it. I'll probably do the same now.

• Options
    Gaining back the proficiency in subnetting I once had. Seems like I only need to have it down for exams lol. It will come in handy though for route summarizations, so i'm going to incorporate that into my daily studies, at least a little bit.

I'm still reading through IP Addressing, chapter 4 of the exam guide. I'm learning a bit, but the methods they teach arent really effective for me. I have a much easier way of doing it, and have done that for 10 years, so I guess old dogs cant learn new tricks. Anyway, I have the layer 2 stuff with the exception of STP and it's various flavors down. I will be labbing that this weekend, starting tonight and really trying to solidify that knowledge. It's time to move on to the next topic, or at least it's close.

• Options
    You're making good progress man. What do you forsee as being your most difficult subject as far as the written goes?
  • Options
    Gaining back the proficiency in subnetting I once had. Seems like I only need to have it down for exams lol. It will come in handy though for route summarizations, so i'm going to incorporate that into my daily studies, at least a little bit.

I'm still reading through IP Addressing, chapter 4 of the exam guide. I'm learning a bit, but the methods they teach arent really effective for me. I have a much easier way of doing it, and have done that for 10 years, so I guess old dogs cant learn new tricks. Anyway, I have the layer 2 stuff with the exception of STP and it's various flavors down. I will be labbing that this weekend, starting tonight and really trying to solidify that knowledge. It's time to move on to the next topic, or at least it's close.

Good stuff. The best advice I can give is keep up with the practice tests as you move along into the next subject. Each subject in the Odom book is intense and the milage of how well it *covers* things varies but its the best we have on the market in terms of a consolidator. The QoS sections and MPLS is hardgoing and the Odom test questions on Multicast and MPLS are the worst. Mainthing is to keep testing yourself on topics you have moved away from in terms of the latest reading, so that things stay fresh and frosty. There is also that strange synthesis that happens where reading what seems like a sometimes totally unrelated topic seems to help your understanding of something read earlier. So keep the practice tests up. Odom and Boson.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Ok, so I feel slightly retarded asking this, but could someone provide me to a link to the Odom practice tests? I've not encountered them before, and plugging Odom's name into Google generates some information overload
  • Options
    Mike,

That's the strange thing about this journey so far. I guess the CCNP was pretty in depth in its coverage because nothing has been unfamiliar yet, with the exception of dot1q tunneling, which that was pretty simple. I dont remember if it was covered at all in the CCNP, but if it was I must have missed it. Nothing has really thrown me for a loop yet. I'm not very far though, so I really cant speak on it as of yet. So far the biggest thing I can see as being a problem is aggregating all of the reviewed topics. Keeping fresh with everything. As Turgon said above, I see the best way of solving that problem is with the practice exams, Odom and Boson, in order to keep my mind on those topics as well. As I pass on topic, I add the new to the others. That way I'm being tested on the old stuff as well as the new stuff until eventually I'm being tested on everything as a whole.

Turgon,

Excellent advice from the Jedi master. How is your studies coming along?

• Options
    Ok, so I feel slightly retarded asking this, but could someone provide me to a link to the Odom practice tests? I've not encountered them before, and plugging Odom's name into Google generates some information overload

Its the CD at the back of the Exam Guide, the CCIE certification guide, 4th ed. It has practice questions and stuff like route summarization and subnetting practice. Below is from the description of the book on CiscoPress.com;

"The companion CD-ROM contains a powerful testing engine that allows you to focus on individual topic areas or take complete, timed exams. The assessment engine also tracks your performance and provides feedback on a module-by-module basis, presenting question-by-question remediation to the text and laying out a complete study plan for review.

Well regarded for its level of detail, assessment features, and challenging review questions and exercises, this official study guide helps you master the concepts and techniques that will enable you to succeed on the exam the first time".

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Oh, those actually don't suck?

To be honest, after my first few exams, I started ignoring the CD in the back of the Cisco Press books after finding out the questions they asked had little reality to what the actual tests would ask.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up!
  • Options
    Mike,

That's the strange thing about this journey so far. I guess the CCNP was pretty in depth in its coverage because nothing has been unfamiliar yet, with the exception of dot1q tunneling, which that was pretty simple. I dont remember if it was covered at all in the CCNP, but if it was I must have missed it. Nothing has really thrown me for a loop yet. I'm not very far though, so I really cant speak on it as of yet. So far the biggest thing I can see as being a problem is aggregating all of the reviewed topics. Keeping fresh with everything. As Turgon said above, I see the best way of solving that problem is with the practice exams, Odom and Boson, in order to keep my mind on those topics as well. As I pass on topic, I add the new to the others. That way I'm being tested on the old stuff as well as the new stuff until eventually I'm being tested on everything as a whole.

Turgon,

Excellent advice from the Jedi master. How is your studies coming along

hehhe..the studies are crap at the moment but thanks for asking! Im *way* too engaged in design and implementation work for DCs/MPLS/Voice to think of much else at the moment.

Im now training up a new Network Architect as well! With the contract running to completion and the project in good shape I expect to have some gas for studies again soon enough. But in a sense doing CCIE level work is the main thing, its why so many people chase it anyway!
  • Options
    Isnt that the truth. I have another interview, this time for Sr. Infrastructure Engineer at a company in Orange County. Sucks to have to possibly make the drive again (I've worked in Newport Beach previously, which is just about as far as this), but the position was superb and the pay is awesome too. I think I have a chance this time, the last one ended in me being 1 of the top 2, but them going for the other guy. I suspect I was probably not a very good deal, as I would have had to be at the top of their range. And I suspect the competition was pretty stiff. I have a job, a very good one, so I wouldnt leave a very good job for anything other than another very good job, or a better one. So what's next on the career horizon then? Are they going to renew the contract?

• Options

To be honest, after my first few exams, I started ignoring the CD in the back of the Cisco Press books after finding out the questions they asked had little reality to what the actual tests would ask.

Haha, yeah, I did the same thing. That's how I was able to sell off my CCDA book and ISCW recently, because I hadn't touched the CD in the book. However, based on what everyone said here I gave it a shot and they are pretty good.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□

Alright, thanks for clearing that up!

not only do they have little reality to what the actually exams are like, but I find they are often wrong.

I generally flick through them the few days before the exam is due. they do at least bring any big hole in your knowledge to light.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    not only do they have little reality to what the actually exams are like, but I find they are often wrong.

I generally flick through them the few days before the exam is due. they do at least bring any big hole in your knowledge to light.

Any book with a test engine has flaws. Capitalism forces a rush to get content to the market! In terms of what the actual exams are *like* that's not the point. The CCIE written covers a lot of material. For all the flaws the Odom and Bosen tests will stretch your comprehension of what you read into something you can *use* to solve problems. The problems are different on the *actual* test but thats not why you use these practice tests. It's to test your mental agility!