Linux + books?

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello there I am interested in going for the Linux+ exam, I am looking for resources that I can use to pass the exam, Am I right in saying the exam is the 2009 edition? are there any good books anyone can point me in the direction of?

Many Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sambuca69 wrote: »

+1. I am also using the one from 2004 and a linux bible
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used his book for Linux+ 2004. It's good!
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • novaboynovaboy Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The O'Reilley pocket Linux guide is very good. Compact, simple to understand and gives you the basics of Linux and a good set of commands for quick reference.
    I use this daily.

Amazon.com: Linux Pocket Guide (9780596006280): Daniel J. Barrett: Books

I also like the Linux+ 2005 book in depth. I started using the Sybex book and some of the reading was non-productive for me. Then I saw a co-worker was using the In Depth book and it seemed to be written better. I finished my cert with the In Depth book.
    Amazon.com: Linux+ 2005 In Depth (978159200728icon_cool.gif: Jason Eckert, M. John Schitka: Books
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    The O'Reilley pocket Linux guide is very good. Compact, simple to understand and gives you the basics of Linux and a good set of commands for quick reference.
    I use this daily.

Amazon.com: Linux Pocket Guide (9780596006280): Daniel J. Barrett: Books
    That book has a freakin cowboy on the front cover. I hate Linux and want nothing to do with it but I am going to buy a copy of this book for sure.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LOL, I didn't really think about the cowboy there.
    The pocket book is very good. Has nice overview of Linux without all the guts.
    Find a desktop Linux distro and give it a spin try.
    Check the link under favorite linux distro and see what looks good to you.
    Ubuntu, Centos are popular. Many others also. I use SUSE Linux, or SLED 10/11.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used Linux a little years ago. I'm going to WGU Network Design and Management and I know I'll need to use some Linux so I'm trying to study up on it. Any other good books to get a guy who's been away from cli for a LONG time up to speed?
    I'm currently working with Ubuntu on a VM and plan to install SuSE on my small HD and dual boot. Found a good book on transitioning from windows to Linux on books 24x7 but it deals more with the applications and how to use them. Less to do with what an admin or tech would need to know.
    Moving from Windows to Linux, Second Editionby Chuck Easttom and Bryan Hoff Cengage Charles River Media © 2004 (600 pages) CitationISBN:9781584504429 With real-world, hands-on examples and troubleshooting problems, this book is a step-by-step walk through the transition from Windows to Linux and will help Windows users to set up, maintain, and utilize all aspects of a Linux PC.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

I'm hoping this one will be avaible on 24x7 when it comes out so I'm not preordering it yet.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rage_hograge_hog Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • avladavlad Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    a practical book:
    Linux Networking Cookbook by Oreilly

if you want to pursue LPIC certs (more recognized) you can use also:
    LPIC-1 In Depth By: Michael Jang Publisher: Course Technology PTR
  • D33D33 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »

+1. I am also using the one from 2004 and a linux bible

Yeah I had it on pre-order as saw the release date at 22nd March but been in talks with Amazon over it..

03/26/10 10:25:23
    Your name: James
    Order No:
    Comments:Hi guys,

RE: CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: 2009 Exam (Paperback)

Although your last e-mail was informative you made it sound like you'd sold out. Yet a week later it's still listed on your website as "This title has not yet been released.".

So can someone just tell me, has it sold out and are you awaiting copies or has it not been released yet? If it's not been released yet can you provide me with a release date estimated or accurate?

Many thanks,

James
    Dear James,

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

Please rest assured, the book "CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: 2009 Exam" has been released.

However, there are two chances for what we could not dispatch the your order to date:

1. As mentioned by my previous colleague, we are running out of stock and we await new stock

2. The later edition of this book will be published soon and we await the updated edition. Please note that sometimes publishers do release an updated edition of the books without any official announcement. These updated editions do not contain much different text. May some editorial part or cover of the book.

However, these are our presumptions only.

Currently, we expect this book to be dispatched on May 21, 2010.

I can certainly understand that this was not what you expected when you placed your order and would understand if you'd prefer to cancel it.

Once again, we apologise for any disappointment.

Sigh.. I just want to start studying icon_sad.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rage_hog wrote: »
    Here is a nice free intro to Linux:

www.linuxleo.com/Docs/linuxintro-LEFE-3.78.pdf

Nice find!
    CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: 2009 Exam is available on books 24x7 if you have access to it.(free for me)
    I'm currently reading the pocket guide (with cowboy on cover) and
    5147vJaHLXL._SY100_.jpg Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide, Fifth Edition
    Wale Soyinka
    Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
  • rage_hograge_hog Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice find!
    Thanks man, I've been tracking that one for about 6 years. Dude keeps it up to date pretty well.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    rage_hog wrote: »
    Here is a nice free intro to Linux:

www.linuxleo.com/Docs/linuxintro-LEFE-3.78.pdf
    Outstanding piece of literature, this guy is talking Linux like winemaker talks his favourite wine. Of course there are some irky parts, like recording kernel image on floppy... floppy what?! :D
    Great find rage_hog icon_cheers.gif