Slipstream install

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Ok I have a question about slipstreaming a Windows XP SP3 install. Is it possible (or likely) to add more than just than Windows XP3 to the disc. I mean is it possible that I could add windows security essentials or firefox as well?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation lets you customize things a lot more. I don't think it's going to automate 3rd-party apps, but maybe you could script something. I'd check this out for the 3rd-party stuff: http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/51021-best-site-new-windows-system-builds-evar.html

Otherwise, just configure the system the way you want, run sysprep, and create an image.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation lets you customize things a lot more. I don't think it's going to automate 3rd-party apps, but maybe you could script something. I'd check this out for the 3rd-party stuff: http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/51021-best-site-new-windows-system-builds-evar.html

Otherwise, just configure the system the way you want, run sysprep, and create an image.

Coolness. I am already tired of installing SP3 on machines in the field and I need a better (faster) solution for reinstalling windows. I am thinking of building an image disc and using the codes off the stickers on the boxes (assuming they are there) and reimageing the machines. I would like to put firefox, windows security essentials, spybot, open office, and maybe some other things on there.

Thanks for the link.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Keep in mind that images are going to be hardware-specific (unless you go with a universal product from Acronis, etc.), so you're probably just going to have to make a customized installation CD and then use that utility or script the installation of the third-party stuff.
    Keep in mind that images are going to be hardware-specific (unless you go with a universal product from Acronis, etc.), so you're probably just going to have to make a customized installation CD and then use that utility or script the installation of the third-party stuff.

I thought if I created a Windows XP w/SP3 Slipstream install disc it would be as generic as a Windows XP disc. Or are you talking about something else. If so that would really defeat my point of doing all this icon_redface.gif
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    making a slipstreamed install disc with nLite will allow you to install on whatever. Caputuring an image of completed install will be specific to that hardware (on XP).

I try to keep an inventory of the really common models I see out there, and this eliminates manual reinstalls to around the 90% mark.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    making a slipstreamed install disc with nLite will allow you to install on whatever. Caputuring an image of completed install will be specific to that hardware (on XP).

I try to keep an inventory of the really common models I see out there, and this eliminates manual reinstalls to around the 90% mark.

Cool. I will have to do this in the next few weeks.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

Keep in mind that this test doesn't test you on 3rd party software. When this exam asks a question about slip streaming it is meant using the native pain in the a** method.

So just be careful that you remember the scope, if you are actually taking the exam.
    Decide what to be and go be it.