Options

Dynamips & IOS Images

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey All,

I have used PT for a while now and decided to take a look at Dynamips because some have mentioned it on here and they seem to like it. From what I am reading I need an image from Cisco, but I cannot get that image unless I am a technical support customer.

So if I cannot access an image, I basically cannot use Dynamips. Is that correct?

I have downloaded images off the site before as recently as a few months ago, for switches. I guess I cannot even download those images now either? So any "used" gear I might pick up, should the IOS need to be re-installed I will not even be able to get those images either, and basically have huge doorstop....Unless I pay for a technical service? I mean geez louise, I'm only doing self study for certs!
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• Options
    hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    You're correct, unfortunately that's the way it is.

however think about how many people are using dynamips/gns3 and how many actually have contracts to download the images..not many im guessing.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can easily download the IOS off of any device you get, so you can have a backup in case you need to reload it. If you have a compatible device, you can also use that image with dynamips. You can also mix-and-match dynamips with real equipment, which is important since dynamips doesn't do switches.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey All,

I have used PT for a while now and decided to take a look at Dynamips because some have mentioned it on here and they seem to like it. From what I am reading I need an image from Cisco, but I cannot get that image unless I am a technical support customer.

So if I cannot access an image, I basically cannot use Dynamips. Is that correct?

Yea that is pretty much how it works. It sucks but its the truth.

I have downloaded images off the site before as recently as a few months ago, for switches. I guess I cannot even download those images now either? So any "used" gear I might pick up, should the IOS need to be re-installed I will not even be able to get those images either, and basically have huge doorstop....Unless I pay for a technical service? I mean geez louise, I'm only doing self study for certs!

There has been request for a student or training edition but cisco has basically said "F U pay me" and it doesn't seem like it is going to get any better either http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/52381-good-news-bad-ios-v15.html.

I guess we can all rent racks or we could all go and use vyatta
    Routing, Firewall, VPN for Physical Networks, Virtual Networking, Cloud Networking | Vyatta Open Networking
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out the supported routers in the all_config_options.txt that should be in the Dynamips sample lab subdirectory.
    Find and buy a router that Dynamips supports off of eBay that has the output of a show version command and has the max flash memory to support the biggest baddest IOS version and feature set that's available for that router. And then make sure it has the latest/greatest and biggest/baddest IOS Version/Feature Set.

1721 routers go for about $50 -- look for max memory AND the power brick.

2600XM routers like the 2610XM start around $60 and go up from there. If you bid and shop for a while you may find a better deal.

These 2 router models also support SDM and router on a stick.

The 1721 routers should have the latest 12.4T Advanced IP Services (you'd need at least 12.4(9)T for the CCNA:Security) or 12.4 Advanced Enterprise "kitchen sink" IOS.

The 2600XM can top out at the 12.4T Advanced Enterprise.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knwminus wrote: »
    There has been request for a student or training edition but cisco has basically said "F U pay me" and it doesn't seem like it is going to get any better either http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/52381-good-news-bad-ios-v15.html.

icon_rolleyes.gif I'll worry about that when Cisco starts running IOS Version 16 in the CCIE Labs.

The "...... blah .... blah .... blah ........" is where I shortened the output a bit.
    Connected to Dynamips VM "FRS" (ID 3, type c7200) - Console port

FRS#
    FRS#
    FRS#
    FRS#show version
    Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.0(1)M, R
    ELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: Cisco - Shortcut
    Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 30-Sep-09 07:48 by prod_rel_team

ROM: ROMMON Emulation Microcode
    BOOTLDR: 7200 Software (C7200-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.0(1)M, RELEASE SOFT
    WARE (fc2)

FRS uptime is 6 minutes
    System returned to ROM by unknown reload cause - suspect boot_data[BOOT_COUNT] 0
    x0, BOOT_COUNT 0, BOOTDATA 19
    System image file is "tftp://255.255.255.255/unknown"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
    States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

...... blah .... blah .... blah ........

Cisco 7206VXR (NPE400) processor (revision A) with 147456K/16384K bytes of memor
    y.
    Processor board ID 4294967295
    R7000 CPU at 150MHz, Implementation 39, Rev 2.1, 256KB L2 Cache
    6 slot VXR midplane, Version 2.1

Last reset from power-on

PCI bus mb0_mb1 (Slots 0, 1, 3 and 5) has a capacity of 600 bandwidth points.
    Current configuration on bus mb0_mb1 has a total of 200 bandwidth points.
    This configuration is within the PCI bus capacity and is supported.

PCI bus mb2 (Slots 2, 4, 6) has a capacity of 600 bandwidth points.
    Current configuration on bus mb2 has a total of 0 bandwidth points
    This configuration is within the PCI bus capacity and is supported.

Please refer to the following document "Cisco 7200 Series Port Adaptor
    Hardware Configuration Guidelines" on Cisco.com <http://www.cisco.com&gt;
    for c7200 bandwidth points oversubscription and usage guidelines.

1 FastEthernet interface
    8 Serial interfaces
    125K bytes of NVRAM.

65536K bytes of ATA PCMCIA card at slot 0 (Sector size 512 bytes).
    8192K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 256K).

Configuration register is 0x2102

FRS#
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!