iPad vs. Google Tablet vs. HP Slate

fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
So I am debating on what to get. Google haven’t given a release date yet, and honestly I can’t justify spending $1000+ on a normal notebook tablet.

Google shows off Chrome OS tablet ideas | Deep Tech - CNET News
I really enjoy my Google phone, so I assume their tablet would be just as impressive. The Google Eris isn’t that great compared to the iPhone but personally I can’t stand Apple’s OS and software. I haven’t been able to find specs for the Google tablet, and no release date has been set yet. I read a couple sites saying that they had set backs with HTC, others that say HTC pulled the plug on the project.

Apple - iPad - See the web, email, and photos like never before.
Apple iPad specifications
But I have to look at the iPad because it would probably be able to do anything I needed it for (school/studying/notes/etc).
Apple iPad Specifications (edited for length)
* Display: 9.7[FONT=&quot]″[/FONT] widescreen LED w/IPS technology. 1024-by-768 res @ 132 pixels-per-inch (ppi)
* Processor: Apple A4 1 GHz (by PA Semiconductor)
* Memory: DDR2 RAM (doesn’t specify how much..?)
* Storage: 16 to 64 GB flash drive
* Wireless data: 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, 3G version: GSM/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA (AT&T, no contract required)
* Inputs:No USB port (!!!)
* Battery: Built-in 25 Whr rechargeable lithium-polymer battery (by DynaPak)
* Usage time: Internet: up to 5 hours on 3G, 10 hours on Wi-Fi/Video playback: up to 10 hours

HP Slate Tablet Device Confirmed With $546 Price Tag | Trends Updates
HP Slate Tablet by Microsoft | Tech,Gadgets,Movies, Entertainment Blog
The HP Slate will probably be around the same price, same specs, etc. I can’t really say much other than that because there’s not much out there ;) Oh besides that it has a USB port unlike the iPad. Some sites say it will be released in June.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Do any of you guys use tablets?
CCNP :study:

Comments

• arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know how long you're planning on waiting, but you might toss the Microsoft Courier in there as well.

Microsoft's Courier 'digital journal': exclusive pictures and details (update: video!) -- Engadget

If it performs anywhere near the way it does in the concept videos, I'm sold.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Interesting, I will check out the video's tonight. But I was wanting to get something by this summer so I doubt I will wait.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I'd rather have a nice slim tablet with Windows 7 over the Courier.

The courier uses Tegra (think Zune) and doesnt appear to be overly useful for much other than freehand sketching, and I can't draw.

With Windows 7 support of tons of modules for home automation, I could have a tablet that controls tons of different things around the house with a simple touch. HVAC, TV's, Blueray player, other computers, security system/cams, sprinkler system, etc. This is assuming they are smart enough to load an infrared sensor into it.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can I ask what you would use a pad for ??

I just don't see where they fit in, there not exactly portable, or they are but very limited in features. I can't imagen writing large docs on them, or working on applications.

Unless of course you get the add in keyboards, but then you might as well take out a full blown laptop.

At home I have a laptop and a smart phone, and as I have power plugs at home one of them does every thing I need.

I can see a small market for these things as we have people who need to make notes on the move. But I just curious what people want them for, they just to me seem a bit of a jack of all traded master of none icon_sad.gif
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Well like I said, I would prefer a regular notebook-tablet but the price for a new one is Dell is over $2000, used are (old, POS's) are between $800-1200 and I can't see myself spending that much on something old, or double for a new one.

I want it to take notes while I am studying for school/certs, and something I can easily use to study with at work when I am not busy ;) Easier than lugging my 10lb laptop around IMO.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    I want it to take notes while I am studying for school/certs, and something I can easily use to study with at work when I am not busy ;) Easier than lugging my 10lb laptop around IMO.

hey yer this would be great for flash cards :) can I get the wife to agree :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    haha, well the iPad is $500, but when you start adding options on top your can get up there in no time.

According to everything I am reading, HP is going to release it cheaper than the iPad. And it has Windows7 loaded on it ;)