1811 Wireless

notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
Can the 1811 Wireless router be used to study for the CCNA:W?

Or is this just a completely different type of equipment...

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    On one hand you need some expensive equipment to lab up the tasks for the CCNA:Wireless course -- Couple of the Wireless Lan Controllers (WLC2106 and WLC526) and a couple each of the supported Access Points/Lightweight Access Points.

On the other hand Cisco seems to have taken pity on people and didn't write an exam that only people with a $5000+ wireless lab can pass.... which makes the CCNA:Wireless less than impressive.

There may be a simple task at the beginning where you need to configure an Access Point -- before you learn the beauty of deploying WLCs & LAPs -- so sure, you could get SOME use out of it :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    mikej412 wrote: »
    On one hand you need some expensive equipment to lab up the tasks for the CCNA:Wireless course -- Couple of the Wireless Lan Controllers (WLC2106 and WLC526) and a couple each of the supported Access Points/Lightweight Access Points.

On the other hand Cisco seems to have taken pity on people and didn't write an exam that only people with a $5000+ wireless lab can pass.... which makes the CCNA:Wireless less than impressive.

There may be a simple task at the beginning where you need to configure an Access Point -- before you learn the beauty of deploying WLCs & LAPs -- so sure, you could get SOME use out of it :D

LOL thanks....Cisco taking pity on the poor...hmm..interesting concept... :D

Would you happen to know off hand if the CCNP Wireless would then require access to this stuff? I could see how Cisco would really up the ante on the CCNP:W but for the CCNA:W throw you a bone....
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL thanks....Cisco taking pity on the poor...
    Don't worry, they'll get you on the CCNP Wireless icon_lol.gif

Would you happen to know off hand if the CCNP Wireless would then require access to this stuff? I could see how Cisco would really up the ante on the CCNP:W but for the CCNA:W throw you a bone....
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooh Yeah -- and then some. icon_lol.gif Toss in a Wireless Voice Lab (and some CCNA:Voice & CCVP knowlege) to the CCNA:Wireless suggested hardware and THEN you have a good CCNP Wireless Lab.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Don't worry, they'll get you on the CCNP Wireless icon_lol.gif

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh Yeah -- and then some. icon_lol.gif Toss in a Wireless Voice Lab (and some CCNA:Voice & CCVP knowlege) to the CCNA:Wireless suggested hardware and THEN you have a good CCNP Wireless Lab.

And there goes my Easter!!! oh well I figured they would dangle a carrot in front of you, then go in for the kill... icon_rolleyes.gif

The bad side of being a hands on guy is, well, I only learn things hands on. Hopefully down the road I can justify the equipment costs, and hopefully they will be cheaper....

I hope to obtain my CCNA well...tomorrow. LOL. And shoot for CCNP by the end of the year.

After that, it's onto specialty certs....
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    The price of the 2 different controllers is what convinced me to bypass the CCNA:W and go right into CCNP studies icon_sad.gif I have a 2811 with HWIC-AP-AG (basically the same as what you have when it comes to setting up an AP, I would think) and I would say that it could help you get the VERY basics of wireless configuring down it wouldn't help much with the "meat and potatos" of the CCNA:W, which I believe is using multiple WLCs on a LAN.

GL today!
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
    CiskHo wrote: »
    The price of the 2 different controllers is what convinced me to bypass the CCNA:W and go right into CCNP studies icon_sad.gif I have a 2811 with HWIC-AP-AG (basically the same as what you have when it comes to setting up an AP, I would think) and I would say that it could help you get the VERY basics of wireless configuring down it wouldn't help much with the "meat and potatos" of the CCNA:W, which I believe is using multiple WLCs on a LAN.

GL today!

Thanks dude, I did pass today!

It's a bummer isn't it? I was hoping my 1811W would be useful for something. Right now it's just a really expensive Linksys....
    It's a bummer isn't it? I was hoping my 1811W would be useful for something. Right now it's just a really expensive Linksys....
    Well, I'd be surprised if it couldn't run SDM (needed for CCNA:Sec) and even though its just an "expensive Linksys" at the moment, atleast you won't have to power cycle it once a week in order to stay online! ;)

I'm embarassed that Cisco bought Linksys. Most of that crap seems like "B" stock LOL
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

CiskHo wrote: »
    Well, I'd be surprised if it couldn't run SDM (needed for CCNA:Sec) and even though its just an "expensive Linksys" at the moment, atleast you won't have to power cycle it once a week in order to stay online! ;)

I'm embarassed that Cisco bought Linksys. Most of that crap seems like "B" stock LOL

We used this 1811W model in our office when it first came out. It was extremely buggy. It seems to be better now but at first, we were the guinea pigs for this router.

It does have SDM on it. It's either SDM or ASDM, I still can't tell the difference...

I just wish I could use it for something more, and if it had available slots so I can buy a module for it....

I would love to offload this router for something else....like a downpayment on an ASA....something more useful....
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    It does have SDM on it. It's either SDM or ASDM, I still can't tell the difference...
    ASDM = PIX, ASA or FWSM firewalls. SDM is for routers.
    I just wish I could use it for something more, and if it had available slots so I can buy a module for it....
    I wouldn't call it useless. For the average lab, there really aren't that many WICs you need to plug in anyway. The 1811 has two built in FE interfaces as well.
    tiersten wrote: »
    ASDM = PIX, ASA or FWSM firewalls. SDM is for routers.

I wouldn't call it useless. For the average lab, there really aren't that many WICs you need to plug in anyway. The 1811 has two built in FE interfaces as well.

Thanks I'll keep those acronyms in mind!

If that's the case, the SDM is probably loaded on the 1811. What about L3 switches though? I figure those would have SDM then right?
    And if so, is it the exact same as what routers have?
    I do not think SDM runs on any switches regardless of whether they are L3 or just L2.
    My Lab Gear: