help me start prep for ccna:s

jack01jack01 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all
i have finished my ccna last week .
Before i do my ccnp i decided to do ccna security.

for ccna i had used todd lammle's book and packet tracer thats it .

i have no idea which book to refer or which software for ccna :s. icon_silent.gif
ur help will be appreciated :)

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jack01,

Welcome to the TE forums. Let me first off congratulate you on your pass of the CCNA.

Now down to the icon_study.gif study icon_study.gif material...
    I'm always an advocate for using real equipment as opposed to the sims, gns3, or pt. Anyhow, I have heard some folks on the forum using just GNS3 & VMware to do the CCNA Security. Books that you would want to get are:
    Implementing Cisco Network Security
    CCNA Security Official Exam Cert Guide
    CCNA Security Lab Manual
    I am going to leave it up to the TE forums to tell which book is better of the two Cisco Press because I personally do not favor either one over the other. The lab manual is really good IMO. I hope this helps.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • VetteranVetteran Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am going for my 553 exam tomorrow. I just finished reviewing in fact (taking a break). I have both books;

Implementing Cisco Network Security
    CCNA Security Official Exam Cert Guide

The better book of the two is "Implementing Cisco Network Security" by Paquet but the latter by Wallace & Watkins has its good points too, but, I found several errors in it and it doesn't cover all the information you will need on the test! The reason I can say this is, I have already taken the test once which I failed! If you only use one book, go with the first by Paquet.

I also used CBT Nuggets which I highly recommend!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The lab manual is great for preparing you for the exercises. I like Transcender in addition to the books for reinforcing the material.
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Which ever book you use I recommend getting your hands on an SDM capable router as well as a Win XP PC/laptop to run SDM from. I used the cert guide by Wallace & Watkins. Be sure to check the CiscoPress site for the erratta (error corrections) if you use that book. I thought the practice exam CD that came with the book was decent but the book itself was.... meh.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • jack01jack01 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for replies guys

i have a router with sdm , is that enough for lab practice .
    and does the two main book cover lab practice ?

thanks sorry for asking stupid qs icon_tongue.gif
  • wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Awesome advise here! Don't want to go and hijack this thread, but didn't feel the need to open another one on the same topic.

I'm going for the CCNA:S as well as my CCNA is expiring in October. Just ordered the Implementing Cisco Ios Network Security book and I'm looking at getting the CBT nuggets or Trainsignal videos as well.

I haven't had too much Cisco experience over the last couple of years (just basic configuration tasks) but I do have access to the real thing.. :) I honestly didn't even want to renew my CCNA.. but I feel like wasting it if I don't.
    WIP: Considering cert path.. :-)
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    rhermans wrote: »
    I honestly didn't even want to renew my CCNA.. but I feel like wasting it if I don't.

I allowed my first CCNA to expire and vow to never let it happen again. I don't care what exam I have to pass. I don't ever want to revisit the CCNA ever!!!

It really depends from your POV how much you need your CCNA. But if you can pass another exam, then do it.
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    rhermans wrote: »
    Awesome advise here! Don't want to go and hijack this thread, but didn't feel the need to open another one on the same topic.

I'm going for the CCNA:S as well as my CCNA is expiring in October. Just ordered the Implementing Cisco Ios Network Security book and I'm looking at getting the CBT nuggets or Trainsignal videos as well.

I haven't had too much Cisco experience over the last couple of years (just basic configuration tasks) but I do have access to the real thing.. :) I honestly didn't even want to renew my CCNA.. but I feel like wasting it if I don't.

CBT nuggets or Trainsignal videos - I've watched them both.

IMO: CBT Nuggetts is fun to watch and I'm a big fan of Jeremy Cioara but once you got past the voice, Chris Bryant's videos are much more detailed and I would say the better buy.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    blackninja wrote: »

IMO: CBT Nuggetts is fun to watch and I'm a big fan of Jeremy Cioara but once you got past the voice, Chris Bryant's videos are much more detailed and I would say the better buy.

You're absolutely right. I am a fan of Jeremy's too, but I still warn people about him. He's a great story teller and keeps your attention but he does leave stuff out, heck everyone does I guess, but he can make things sound too easy sometimes. (I'd say that's credit to how good he is)

Chris Bryant is definitely more detailed but more boring. His illustrations are very "library'ish", a lot of words on the screen and occasionally diagrams.

Both are good if you watch them....
  • wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It really depends from your POV how much you need your CCNA. But if you can pass another exam, then do it.
    I'm not really in need of it at this point, but had some good offers just because I had the CCNA aside of my MS certs. For me, I definitely think it's worth keeping it valid and building on it for now.
    blackninja wrote: »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!
    WIP: Considering cert path.. :-)