cisco 3550 EMI ios image version

warquezhowarquezho Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would just like to ask what is the latest IOS version of 3550 switch?
Also how will I know that the version is an EMI version?

Lastly if I do have an older version, how can I upgrade it to the newest IOS version? Will it be free? Pardon for my question as this will be my first time to have a 3550 switch :D

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cisco.com you will need a cco account and a contract id
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • warquezhowarquezho Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi keenon
    Can you please be more specific?

@all
    any other answer?
    does upgrading/downloading the IOS from cisco website free?
  • jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    warquezho wrote: »
    does upgrading/downloading the IOS from cisco website free?

No. Cisco does not provide updates to their IOS for free.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
    jeanathan wrote: »
    No. Cisco does not provide updates to their IOS for free.

So you must pay when you download cisco IOS on cisco website? Is that correct? What is the mode of payment and how much is a typical ios cost?

Like if my ios image from a 3550 is 12.1 wanting to upgrade to 12.2? :)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can still download the access layer switch IOS images and Access point IOS images with a guest level Cisco account.

You can read the scary software download rules in this post:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/51728-stupporeds-ccna-progress-thread.html#post393677
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You can still download the access layer switch IOS images and Access point IOS images with a guest level Cisco account.

You can read the scary software download rules in this post:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/51728-stupporeds-ccna-progress-thread.html#post393677
    Hi Mike
    What do you mean that only an access layer switch IOS and access point IOS with a guess level cisco account? I dont know what kind of account I have but I do got a cisco account which I created when I become a CCNA...

Currently I'am at this page Cisco.com Login Page... I dont know if you will be able to see it but its the page where there is a

DOWNLOAD NOW
    ADD TO CARD

buttons of choices where I can download specific IOS for 3550 EMI image 12.2.44-SE6(ED) release. I did not download yet because my 3550 will arrive by next month and its IOS image is 12.1.22 (an older one)

Will I be able to download any of the listed IOS image below? Also does this version include crypto,sdm (web interface) and emi image?
    IP SERVICES WITH WEB BASED DEV MGR c3550-ipservicesk9-tar.122-44.SE6.tar

cisco3550ios.jpg
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    You can download anything that doesn't have a little "lock" picture next to it, BUT Cisco reserves the right to bill you for anything you download but they don't tell you what will and will not result in a charge. So download at your own risk, thank you Cisco! There are other ways to get the images but my previous post was deleted so I won't mention that again I guess. Guess you're stuck wondering if you'll get a big bill from Cisco in the mail.
    I dont see any little lock with the screenshot i posted above (although I knew I did saw that somewhere in the cisco site)
    Would you mind sharing the method you did getting these images? (I hope the new ones are included)
    Also when you said that "They dont tell you what will and will not result in a charge" and " Guess you're stuck wondering if you'll get a big bill from cisco in the email"
    So how can cisco charge us when we already download the IOS image for example?
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    This is what you have to agree to before downloading, the fun part is in bold. The only other way to get the IOS files is illegal but charging $300 for 8 MB flash card should be illegal too:

Cisco's End User Software License Agreement (above) governs your use of the Cisco software listed at this web site. Click the highlighted link (above) for the full text of the Agreement, which may be updated from time to time by Cisco in its sole discretion and without notice. Cisco will post a copy of the updated version of the Cisco End User Software License Agreement, and you will independently and regularly review the Agreement at this URL.

Software Download Rules - Please Read Carefully

By clicking "Agree" below, you agree to each of the following:
    1. That you shall be bound by Cisco's End User Software License Agreement posted at the above URL regarding your use of any Cisco software you download from this web site;
    2. That you are only entitled to download Cisco software for the Cisco hardware chassis or device or the particular application software or signature file for which you have paid the applicable software license fees;
    3. That you must purchase a Cisco Operating system Software feature set upgrade license if the feature set you intend to download is not included in your initial license;
    4. That you have a current and valid service contract that covers either the specific Cisco hardware chassis or device for which you are downloading software and/or the software image or subscription file update (e.g., for Intrusion Detection System) that you are downloading;
    5. That Cisco reserves the right to: (a) charge you for, and you agree to pay for, software /signature file downloads to which you are not entitled, and (b) immediately suspend or terminate your access to this web site if you download software to which you are not so entitled.
    Have you tried downloading with the said agreement and been ask to pay $300?
    I read in the agreement that :

"(a) charge you for, and you agree to pay for, software /signature file downloads to which you are not entitled"

So how do we know if we are entitled to a certain software/signature that we are about to download?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    warquezho wrote: »
    So how do we know if we are entitled to a certain software/signature that we are about to download?
    I'd assume that you'd know if you bought the hardware, the software licenses if applicable and the maintenance contract...

In the case of a 3550, the SMI/IPBase image is probably safe to download. It is the EMI/IPServices one which requires a paper license that they may get touchy about. Do it at your own risk.

I've not actually heard of anybody getting charged but I doubt anybody who has (if they've ever been) charged will publicly admit to it. Basically don't complain if you download files off there and suddenly you get a big bill through the mail at some time in the future. They're not saying they will definitely charge you but they may do if they notice you doing things you shouldn't.