Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Anyone else's mentor very slow to get back to you? (email)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Sometimes, but most of the time because I have forgotten what His hours are. I also forget about the fact that he is in the MST zone, and I am EST.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□

Mine is dedicated to helping his students, he is always available to us via email, office #, facebook and even gave us his cell # so we can call him after hours
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mine is really good about answering e-mails and being available during hours.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    A bit of good news for transfer students. . .

WGU is now a Straighterline partner college.

If you haven't heard of Straighterline, it's a firm offering courses over the Internet for $99 per month. They have a number of partner colleges that are popular with transfer students, but now that WGU has joined the ranks students will have one more option to send their earned credits to.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a bad experience with my mentor in the beginning of my program. He provided me with the wrong information numerous times and was unresponsive to all of my emails or calls. I just switched and am soooo glad I did because my new mentor is awesome.
  • SCIONTXSCIONTX Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    A bit of good news for transfer students. . .

WGU is now a Straighterline partner college.

If you haven't heard of Straighterline, it's a firm offering courses over the Internet for $99 per month. They have a number of partner colleges that are popular with transfer students, but now that WGU has joined the ranks students will have one more option to send their earned credits to.

Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of Straighterline. I have postponed my enrollment with WGU so that I can complete 5 general education courses with Straighterline. I'll be able to transfer English Composition 1 and II, Algebra, Statistics, and Economics. Perhaps they'll add a humanities course to their offering before I'm done.

Here's the link that tells you exactly what WGU classes you'll be given credit for, so there's no guess work: College Credit Transfer Process - StraighterLine
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why go through straighterline before WGU?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    Out of pocket it's only $99/month plus $39 for each course. You complete as many courses as you can for the $99 monthly fee. I'm strong in math and english comp stuff and I'm confident I can knock out those 5 classes in six weeks or so even if it's just a grade of B across the board. There's no need to put in the extra effort for an A just to transfer to WGU. So, for $400 I can transfer credit and get more out of my $2890 per term at WGU by not dealing with the general education component in its entirety. For me, it's worth postponing my enrollment until June 1 or July 1 (worse case scenario).

I would be able to bypass: LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, SSC1, SST1, QLC1, QMC1
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    SCIONTX wrote: »
    For me, it's worth postponing my enrollment until June 1 or July 1 (worse case scenario).

Exactly. This idea isn't for everyone, but in many cases it'll help students who are dead set on going through WGU to cut through some of the general ed in advance. Other than certain teaching-related competencies, I think I've read more complaints about general ed than any other courses.

It's kinda similar to a choice I had before I submitted my MCSA transcript-- I could have taken the CompTIA exams ahead of the program to save time, but those exams would have cost extra.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    SCIONTX wrote: »
    Out of pocket it's only $99/month plus $39 for each course. You complete as many courses as you can for the $99 monthly fee. I'm strong in math and english comp stuff and I'm confident I can knock out those 5 classes in six weeks or so even if it's just a grade of B across the board. There's no need to put in the extra effort for an A just to transfer to WGU. So, for $400 I can transfer credit and get more out of my $2890 per term at WGU by not dealing with the general education component in its entirety. For me, it's worth postponing my enrollment until June 1 or July 1 (worse case scenario).

So how does this work exactly? Are the final assessments completed online or proctored? I looked at their handbook, wasn't very helpful.
    CCNP :study:
    Online exams/quizzes are submitted online via BlackBoard. English Composition courses consist of online exams/quizzes and writing assignments. The Handbook is sparse. I just worked my way around the site, clicking on everything basically. There are individual tabs within each course that break down everything. One tab is labeled "Evaluation Criteria" which tells you what type of assessments to expect and how many. You can only purchase one course ($39) at checkout if you do the $99 monthly subscription. Once you're enrolled, you have to call in or email to request additional courses for $39 each at any time. You can take several courses at once or one at a time. I'm working on English Comp. 1 and Economics 1: Macroeconomics. I rented the economics textbook for $8 from Chegg.com.
    I checked back to my first term. I didn't realize how fast I had started out. I completed 7 classes (IT 1,2,and 3), EWB, and all 3 english classes (They are now split into 4 classes). I haven't completed that many in a term since then.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I checked back to my first term. I didn't realize how fast I had started out. I completed 7 classes (IT 1,2,and 3), EWB, and all 3 english classes (They are now split into 4 classes). I haven't completed that many in a term since then.

It seems that way, there is a reason those are worth the least amount of units. The only things I think I will have problems with are math. But I work at a college and have tutoring available to me =)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Tato500Tato500 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wayers22 wrote: »
    I need a referral to wave my application fee. If you are interested in helping me out, could you please email me at wayers22@gmail.com? Thank you.

going to send you email right now
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□

Thanks for posting this link. I just completed the application. Here is to hoping I qualify.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • 7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, Veritas thanks! I just finished my bachelor's in Network Security & Forensics at another school about 6 months ago and was considering that MS program.

• motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    I stumbled onto this thread after searching for online schools and JD talked to me about his experience with online degree programs. You guys have been a wealth of info on this topic and I am filling out my app right now. Would someone be willing to do the referral for me to waive the $65. Much appreciated if so! I hope to be one of the TE WGU group, been on the TE forums for a couple years now. They already tried to call as well, but I was in a meeting.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
    motogpman wrote: »
    I stumbled onto this thread after searching for online schools and JD talked to me about his experience with online degree programs. You guys have been a wealth of info on this topic and I am filling out my app right now. Would someone be willing to do the referral for me to waive the $65. Much appreciated if so! I hope to be one of the TE WGU group, been on the TE forums for a couple years now. They already tried to call as well, but I was in a meeting.

Welcome! If you don't get any response send me PM and I will do the referral. I want others to get a chance to respond.
    Welcome to TE and I hope you'll enjoy your time at WGU. Like Veritas Libertas you can PM me if no one else responds..I've already referred 3 people this year!
    What kind of software is available from Microsoft IT Academy through WGU? Can't remember if that was posted somewhere ;)
    Thanks fellas. Ajmatson replied first, but I haven't heard anything back. I then contacted veritas and we will get this finished. I noticed the disclaimer at the bottom of the refer a friend page he sent me and it says that it can only be used once to a person. Are you guys getting multiple gift certs or just helping because you are such nice guys? LOL. I know you guys are nice, esp after reading this entire thread.....
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

fly351 wrote: »
    What kind of software is available from Microsoft IT Academy through WGU? Can't remember if that was posted somewhere ;)
    Actually it's MSDNAA which has the software. IT Academy is a collection of courses which are used while studying for your MS cert. Can't get the pictures to go side by side so it takes up space.

1165_access2007_Small.jpg
    Access 2007
    1246_expressionweb2_Small.jpg
    Expression Web 2
    1185_officegroove2007_Small.jpg
    Office Groove 2007
    1166_onenote2007_Small.jpg
    OneNote 2007
    1254_visualstudio2008sp1_Small.jpg
    Visual Studio 2008 SP1
    386_windowsserver2003ent_Small.jpg
    Windows Server 2003
    1218_windowsserver2008ent_Small.jpg
    Windows Server 2008
    1176_windowsvistabusiness_Small.jpg
    Windows Vista Business DVD
    1247_windowsvistabusiness_Small.jpg
    Vista Business SP1
    1259_windowsxpprofessiona_Small.jpg
    XP Pro SP3
    1327_exchangeserver2007wi_Small.jpg
    Exchange Server 2007 with SP1
    1169_projectprofessional2_Small.jpg
    Project Professional 2007
    1175_visioprofessional200_Small.jpg
    Visio Professional 2007
    1095_visualstudio2005prof_Small.jpg
    Visual Studio .NET 2005 Professional - Full Install
    1331_visualstudio2008prof_Small.jpg
    Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition (x86) - DVD
    1444_windows7professional_Small.jpg
    Windows 7 Professional (x64)
    1443_windows7professional_Small.jpg
    Windows 7 Professional (x86)
    We also have Dreamspark which gives us a few more titles.
    All of those are free?? icon_cheers.gif
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□

I wouldn't say that there free but you do get access to them if your a student
    Yes, fully and totally free.
    Don't forget the titles available on dreamspark and we get VMWare Workstation.
    So, in a nutshell, your tuition pays for access to the programs listed above, your study material ( books from what I gather ), IT certs apply to cut down on CU's needed for degree, access to a mentor, and of course the help here from other TE WGU members as well as the testing fees? I appreciate the offers for the referral as well.

I talked to my boss about this first thing, he is very interested as well, even though he comes from an Ivy League. We have several guys here in IT that aren't degreed ( myself included), so this may work out for our department in the long run. My CC is also on their partner list, so looks like this is turning out to be a no brainer.

I am about to call Alex up there and get more info. With todays environment, I responded to 2 people already, but I am a bit paranoid with giving info out my personal info for the referral. Not trying to "look a gift horse in the mouth," just have close family members who have had Identity theft which started from little info that they gave out. Hopefully you guys understand and didn't get offended by my replies.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

Ok, a great big thank you to Veritas, Ear, and AJ for the help. I have my call tomorrow with the counselor and my admin work is complete. Hopefully soon I can get this going. This is one of the reason I hold TE as THE best IT forum that I have been to and continue to visit. Also, thanks to everyone in this thread for the info and help.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

So, in a nutshell, your tuition pays for access to the programs listed above, your study material ( books from what I gather ), IT certs apply to cut down on CU's needed for degree, access to a mentor, and of course the help here from other TE WGU members as well as the testing fees? I appreciate the offers for the referral as well.

You have access to Books 24x7, and some of the books for classes are sent to you. I believe all CIW and CompTIA books are sent to the student.
    testing fees?

Yes, they will send you a voucher for the test.