Aironet G and N Problem

boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
What would cause one G Aironet to work with an N laptop and another not work with an N laptop? Both Aironets are the same model and config.

The WLAN card is an Intel Wifi 5300.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Define not work.

Can the laptop see both APs?
    It is the same laptop on both?
    Have you tried another laptop?
    Same IOS on both APs?
    Anything appear in the logs?
    Are the APs connected to a WLC?
  • boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
    Yes it sees the SSID no matter what.

It does it with any of the 10 laptops of this particular model with the N card.

Not sure about IOS versions. (work APs out of my control)

Can't see logs.

They are connected to a WLC.

Configs are apparently pasted in so they are the same except for the obvious.
    You really need access to the WLC logs to see why it won't let those particular laptops associate.

If you force the laptop WiFi adapter to 802.11g mode only does it connect?

Any newer drivers for the WiFi adapter?

I think I've got a laptop at work that uses a Intel WiFi 5300 card. I've not noticed any issues with it connecting to the WLC APs though.
    I forgot to mention that it does work fine when forcing it to G only. It is weird though that some WAPs work and some don't. Same thing in every building. What might I be looking for in the logs?
    I downloaded the latest drivers from Intel
    I forgot to mention that it does work fine when forcing it to G only. It is weird though that some WAPs work and some don't. Same thing in every building. What might I be looking for in the logs?
    Can't really offer you any specific advice. You need to get whoever administers these APs to have a look at the AP IOS versions and the WLC logs + config.

The radios in the AP get their firmware loaded in by IOS so an older IOS version might cause issues.
    Correction, no WLC.

We are going to check into IOS versions.
    Correction, no WLC.

We are going to check into IOS versions.
    Check the configs as well while you're at it. You can adjust what rates the AP will accept from the configuration so it might be something affecting it that way.
    Thanks for the help so far.

Configs are copy and pasted. The rates are set no lower than 5Mbps to prevent a roamer from hanging on too long.

I don't have access to the APs, they are out of my control. So I am basically relaying any information about them.