Is a username required for SSH? If so where does it go?

abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
Is a username required for SSH? If so where does it go?
line vty 0 4
transport input ssh
login
username admin ????
password pass1234

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I set mine up like this...

Enable
    Configure Terminal
    username [username] password [password]
    ip domain-name [domainname]
    crypto key generate rsa
    ip ssh version 2
    line vty 0 4
    transport input ssh
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    Monkerz wrote: »

Enable
    Configure Terminal
    username [username] password [password]
    crypto key generate rsa
    ip ssh version 2
    line vty 0 4
    transport input ssh

So is the username command only used for SSH? Or will that be the username for other things as well?
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    When you use "transport input ssh" it turns off telnet and enables ssh. To use both, use " transport input telnet ssh". The user name is for Telnet and SSH. Console doesn't require one, only a password.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you use "transport input ssh" it turns off telnet and enables ssh. To use both, use " transport input telnet ssh". The user name is for Telnet and SSH. Console doesn't require one, only a password.

Don't forget you can require your console to use the local database by going under lin con 0 and typing:

login local

That will force the console to use the local username and database. You can also use aaa for username/password with an external server running RADIUS or TACACS+ protocols for authentication. Hope this helps.

-Peanut

EDIT: Before you type the login local under line console 0, be sure to have a local username and password setup on the device.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • HardDiskHardDisk Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□

crypto key generate rsa

I have found that this one line of code below can replace the three lines of code above.

Router(config)#ip http secure-server

Both methods will generate the crypto keys so why use the three lines when one line seems to get the job done?

I've been wondering about this for some time so I'm glad it came up in this post. Thanks for shedding some light on this subject.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HardDisk wrote: »
    I have found that this one line of code below can replace the three lines of code above.

Router(config)#ip http secure-server

Both methods will generate the crypto keys so why use the three lines when one line seems to get the job done?

I've been wondering about this for some time so I'm glad it came up in this post. Thanks for shedding some light on this subject.

The first two things that popped into my head were... what if you don't want HTTPS enabled on your router but you wanted to enable ssh. The default key for the HTTPS is a 1024 key... what if you want a smaller or larger key for your ssh. Other than that... you are correct, the ip http secure-server would suffice. HTH
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker