How long is the 70-640 good for?

How long is the 70-640 good for?

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Until support for Server 2008 (probably R2 as well) is ended.

You've likely got another decade or so.
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Until support for Server 2008 (probably R2 as well) is ended.

Sweet, thanks!
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No, that's a little too generous. :)
    To better meet our customers’ needs, we now retire a certification when mainstream support for the related technology phases out.
    So in the case of Win2k8/Win2k8 R2 the end of mainstream support is scheduled for July 9, 2013.

Microsoft Product Lifecycle for Windows Server 2008
    Microsoft Product Lifecycle for Windows Server 2008 R2
  • GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally I think MS is now moving too fast again. No-one wants to upgrade their servers that often do they?!
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Personally I think MS is now moving too fast again. No-one wants to upgrade their servers that often do they?!

Good question. No one wants to, but I'm thinking we may be at one of those apexes where technology changes quickly and you may have to keep up with the vendors whether you want to or not.

Not to mention, MS wouldn't want people to certify once and stop, would they? :) Look at all the NT4 MCSEs out there who STILL haven't upgraded yet.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059

I think so too. They got ridiculed for Vista taking so long but the ridicule was because it took so long AND had issues. We don't an interation of server/client every 3 years as long as each iteration is solid and stable.

Astorrs- WOW! they are hosing R2 before it even really got started. icon_sad.gif
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your cert should never expire, the technology gets outdated and then employers don't care about it anymore. There is a point where the exams get retired, that just stops future people from obtaining ther certification. Any certifications already obtained are still valid.

Look at MCSE's on 2000
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    No, that's a little too generous. :)

So in the case of Win2k8/Win2k8 R2 the end of mainstream support is scheduled for July 9, 2013.

Microsoft Product Lifecycle for Windows Server 2008
    Microsoft Product Lifecycle for Windows Server 2008 R2

True, but wasn't XP supposed to originally die in 2007 or 2008 before it was extended several times?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    humble2007 wrote: »
    True, but wasn't XP supposed to originally die in 2007 or 2008 before it was extended several times?
    Yes market demands dictated as much (dying for sure this year).

Also the support I'm quoting there (as relevant to the certs) is just mainstream - which means new features, etc. Extended support lasts a few more years and covers only security hotfixes, i,e, Microsoft isn't screwing anyone, this has been their support lifecycle policy for years.
  • GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think so too. They got ridiculed for Vista taking so long but the ridicule was because it took so long AND had issues. We don't an interation of server/client every 3 years as long as each iteration is solid and stable.

We look after a vast number of Managed Sites all generally running 80% Wintel. The sheer cost & time of keeping it up to date is very high. It's not as simple as doing home Windows upgrades when you have clusters, application dependencies and the like.

If it changes too often it's hard just to keep up... most sites still run Win2003 because a number of software vendors are still not 2008 certified yet.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    humble2007 wrote: »
    Your cert should never expire, the technology gets outdated and then employers don't care about it anymore. There is a point where the exams get retired, that just stops future people from obtaining ther certification. Any certifications already obtained are still valid.

Look at MCSE's on 2000

Yeah, MCSE's on 2000 will be MCSE's forever. Unfortunately the MCITPSA/EA when retired is retired, meaning inactive. It still remains on the transcript but will be marked inactive. MS is trying to kind of force people to keep their certifications current even if the marketplace doesn't keep up to it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.