Where to start?

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
Sorry if this is a redundant thread.

Hey everyone, I am progressively learning and advancing in my workplace and I have come to a point where I need to learn more about VoIP and Unity. I decided it would be worth my while to get my CCNA: Voice by taking the IIUC exam( https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/voice_ccna/iiuc?view=overview )

Now, while CCNA study materials are available far and wide, I am not even sure where to begin looking for IIUC study materials. Any books you could suggest for me please? Or any video lessons?

Any input is appreciated. I am looking to expedite my studies.
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am currently reading the ccna voice iiuc book by Jeremy, and he has a cbt nugget video series which appears to be good as well.
    ICND1 - Passed March 19/2010
    ICND2 - Passed April 8/2010
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with tazdevil;

Cisco CCNA-Voice (IIUC) Study Guide
    CBT Nuggets CCNA Voice videos
    ExamCram CCNA-Voice Book (for a different take on things)

I always find that the more sources you have, the better off you'll be. I've found in the past that I can have a "blonde moment" with one set of material, while with another it is crystal clear.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks guys! I just got into CBT nuggets with this certification and I really like the guy! Possibly better than Chris Bryant from Train Signal. I also ordered the Official IIUC study guide. Thanks!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I just got into CBT nuggets with this certification and I really like the guy! Possibly better than Chris Bryant from Train Signal. I also ordered the Official IIUC study guide. Thanks!

Do you have any exposure to equipment at work or at home? If so, what type of equipmnet do you have access to? If you do not have any exposure to equipment, I would suggest you try to get a hold of a few voice capable routers for cheap (1760). I hope this helps.

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    I am fortunate enough to have a work environment which will encourage me to learn about the equipment on hand, and we are using Cisco Unified Communications to deploy our VoIP services. So I will assume I have all the needed equipment. Regardless, I will still considering purchasing those routers. Thank you!
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
    Is there a way to virtualize the routers and switches needed for this exam in a single environment? Packet Tracer seems to support every part but the CCM, which is (kinda sorta icon_rolleyes.gif) important! GNS3 supports almost no switches. Whats a guy to do? I'm a part time under payed individual, but I do not like to continue without some experience on the command line. I can do a little at work, but I am hardly going to configure anything in a running environment.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GNS3 supports almost no switches. Whats a guy to do?
    Mix real hardware with Dynamips (using either the GNS3 or Dynamips frontend).

Blindhog has a good video and suggestions about a hybrid Dynamips/VMWare/Real Hardware VOICE Lab -- the link is in this post:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/32865-my-ccvp-diary.html#post281183

Remember that time spent putzing around and figuring out Dynamips (and GNS3 or Dynagen) doesn't count as study time.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Mix real hardware with Dynamips (using either the GNS3 or Dynamips frontend).

Blindhog has a good video and suggestions about a hybrid Dynamips/VMWare/Real Hardware VOICE Lab -- the link is in this post:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/32865-my-ccvp-diary.html#post281183

Remember that time spent putzing around and figuring out Dynamips (and GNS3 or Dynagen) doesn't count as study time.

I keep going back and forth on the GNS3 stuff, will it save me money, is it really worth it, how accurate can it be, are there any glitches, and most importantly, how much time do I need to spend on the darn thing in order to really know how to use it!!!?

So perhaps I just got lazy but I just prefer real equipment, even though it sucks up more electricity and I have to bid for them on eBay... icon_mrgreen.gif
    Ah, thanks for the resources. This could save me some money.
    mikej412 wrote: »

Haha, I know. I study from my resources each day and recently have been making it a side project to find a way to allow me to practice these things. I have the programs figured out for their basic use. I was able to create (and frequently use) Chris Bryants CCNP study lab with it.
    So perhaps I just got lazy but I just prefer real equipment

Oh I would prefer real equipment too! I get a little bit of practice at work each day, however I can't break things to learn about stuff at work haha. I'm pretty much stuck with show commands. And with an income at my rate, by the time I will have my resources studied and exam prepped, I wouldn't of been able to save up enough money to buy equipment.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    And with an income at my rate, by the time I will have my resources studied and exam prepped, I wouldn't of been able to save up enough money to buy equipment.

You know what is a killer are the exam costs!! Ok $250 bucks for the CCNA, fine, that's doable...but only if you actually pass the exam! Fail it? Well, gotta shell out another $250 bucks!!

So come on! $500 this time around and that adds even more UNNEEDED pressure to pass the exam....now, just imagine if you barely missed the mark and failed again by a couple points...

Hello....$750!! You can buy a lot of equipment off eBay for $750, $500 and even something decent for $250 if you are savvy enough...

I told myself to take my CCNA Security this week but heck no, I'm talking myself out of it until I really know the darn subject....if I fail it, it would kill me knowing I was probably better off dropping $250 on eBay and then the real $250 on the exam a week or two later when I'm better prepared...
    I try to set goals and plans and stick with them. I have passed and failed a few things in the past, and have a general grasp on how I should prep myself. However, you are totally correct: The $500 investment is more than worth passing the exam. Trouble is getting the voice equipment and phones for $500. I'd probably be spending closer to $1500 for the voice equipment. If I have a hybrid virtual/real equipment thing going on, I would probably still need the $500 and hours and hours of not knowing if there is a problem with my config, or the way the program is set up.

Its a sketchy road, but it looks like it might be worth saving up the $1500 and buying equipment as I go. I'll buy what I can when I can afford it, starting with what I would need for my Hybrid set up. If I manage to make that work while still saving up the rest of the money, I just saved a grand. If I don't, well I have the money saving up.

Maybe I could get a grant and have it pay for my equipment? Anyone ever done this?
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
    And Thanks to Mike's wonderful links, I was able to install CCME on a virtual router and connect to it from my PC! You should of heard me shout when I first connected to it! =D

Anyway, looks like I might be able to get away with just a Hybrid system. Before my Professional studies, i think. Once I go real equipment, I probably cant go back.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote: