Tier 1, 2, 3, and?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey guys

can you point me to the right documentation on Tiers and what they mean? I know sort of Tier 1 is like ATT and Tier 2 and 3 can be ISPs
but I would like some great infor on these networks to understand the grand scheme of things. Thanks for your time ;)
icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The definition of tiered support system changes from company to company. Ref: Technical support - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Generally, a Tier 1 support personnel will be directly interacting with the user and problem, and has little to no training.

As the Tiers go up, more trained personnel specialized in the problem at hand approach the problem and try to fix, before moving the issue upward to the next tier.

Eg... Tier 1) Help Desk. Tier 2) Desktop Support Team. Tier 3) Network/Server/Phone/Specific team. Tier 4) Specialized vendor support.

Something along those lines.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    chmorin wrote: »
    The definition of tiered support system changes from company to company. Ref: Technical support - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Generally, a Tier 1 support personnel will be directly interacting with the user and problem, and has little to no training.

As the Tiers go up, more trained personnel specialized in the problem at hand approach the problem and try to fix, before moving the issue upward to the next tier.

Eg... Tier 1) Help Desk. Tier 2) Desktop Support Team. Tier 3) Network/Server/Phone/Specific team. Tier 4) Specialized vendor support.

Something along those lines.

He's not talking about levels of support. The question is regarding the term used to define ISPs in terms of their internet transit.

Tier 1 network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I've read that the lines are very blurred as far as which ISP is which tier and it's kind of an arbitrary distinction.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Page 5 in the BGP book by OReilly gives a pretty decent description on the 3 tiers. It is not real long, and the author does mention, like Colby said, that the lines are kind of blurred (especially between tiers 1 and 2). He says the main difference in the two is that tier two is usually geographically limited whereas tier 1's are not.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hey thanks guys that really clears things up will look at the oreilly book on BGP thank you very much ;)
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    He's not talking about levels of support. The question is regarding the term used to define ISPs in terms of their internet transit.

Tier 1 network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My ignorance is showing! -hides-
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ColbyG wrote: »
    I've read that the lines are very blurred as far as which ISP is which tier and it's kind of an arbitrary distinction.

If you have to ask yourself "Am I a Tier 1?" You're not a Tier 1.
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • OnefiveOnefive Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From the top of my head, The Tier 1 networks are: Level3, Abovenet, ATT, VZ, Global Crossing, Reliance, Qwest, and NTT. But there is no official list of the 'tier 1 networks', and the term can mean different things to different people.