Options

VoIP Noob questions...

peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
TE,

I'm fresh off of my CCNA Security and now I'm ready to study the fun stuff!! icon_thumright.gif

I already have adequate equipment:

2x1760 (64/128 ) - VIC2-2E/M
1x2610 (16/64) - this is my access server, but I just found out that it has a voice capable IOS running on it right now: c2600-j1s3-mz.122-13.T14.bin
1x3560 POE 8-port that I borrowed.
2x2950
I'm also awaiting on my 2621XM (64/128 )
I wanted to get a 3725 as well for future use (NP studies) down the line... TE's thoughts? Yay or nay?

I think that I have the equipment I need. I can get just about any VIC/VWIC necessary from work. I plan on getting the cards, but I wanted a little advice as to which cards I will need.

I already plan on getting a VIC-2FXS and a VIC-2FXO for each router. What other cards do I need? Will I need a VWIC-2MFT-T1 for each router?

I plan on installing an Asterisks on my computer... I will use this as a PBX. What should I use to emulate the PSTN? I've heard talks of a 2691 being used, but that's an expensive PSTN. Are the Cisco VG200 still useful? I've heard these mentioned in the past. What about the AdTran devices? Are these reasonable for a PSTN? I'm wondering if I can use my 2610 as the PSTN (it has some available WIC slots free).

Last but not least... which DSPs should I purchase? I've seen the PVDM-256K-4/8/12. These are pretty pricey, so what is the consensus recommendation? I'm still not sure what the DSPs are for just yet, but once I get knee deep into this voice thing, I'm sure I'll figure it out! icon_smile.gif

I've been following Azaghul's Post for awhile gathering some great ideas (Thanks Azaghul for the post)... any additional helpful links is greatly appreciated.

I'm a noob to the VoIP, so all ideas are welcomed! Thanks!

-Peanut
We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to mention that I will have phones available to me... 7971, 7961, 7911, & 7906.

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi peanut,

So many questions, so little time...icon_lol.gif

VIC cards... you don't need to populate both routers with FXO and FXS, just having them in one router will be fine. You won't need the E&M till CCVP.

VWIC-T1's... not required for CCNA-Voice, but if you plan on doing CCVP later, they are handy to have. As you have access to them through work, I'd grab them when required.

DSPs... they are required to do the "heavy lifting" for voice. They take the load off the routers CPU and do the A-D conversion of spoken voice to data packets for T1/E1's, FXS, FXO and E&M. Depending on price/affordability, I'd get a PVDM-256k-8 (minimum) this will support 2FXO + 2FXS and up to 6 T1 channels.

PSTN... you won't need to simulate the PSTN via a router/adtran for CCNA-Voice. The easiest solution is to plug the FXO into your home phone line and make calls in/out.

Asterisk... can't help you there, I know the name but thats as far as it goes.

The 2610... its a while since I worked with a 2610, if it's a plain 2610 (not an xm) it may support voice, but as it only has a 10Mb ethernet interface, so I don't think it supports 'router-on-a-stick' dot1q for multiple VLANs. I've never used one as an access server, but you can use it as a frame-relay switch to simulate the WAN. VIC cards in WIC slots won't work so PSTN may be out for it.

The 3725... a bit of overkill for CCNA-Voice. But down the line it's great.

Once you start your VoIP studies and watch the CBT Nuggets a lot will fall into place, so don't worry about being new to this, I was a year ago. And the sound of dial tone for the first time from an IP phone you have configured is oh so satisfying.icon_cheers.gif

Enjoy!
    Dave
  • Options
    azaghul wrote: »
    Hi peanut,

So many questions, so little time...icon_lol.gif

DSPs... they are required to do the "heavy lifting" for voice. They take the load off the routers CPU and do the A-D conversion of spoken voice to data packets for T1/E1's, FXS, FXO and E&M. Depending on price/affordability, I'd get a PVDM-256k-8 (minimum) this will support 2FXO + 2FXS and up to 6 T1 channels.
    Do you suggest this for both routers?
    PSTN... you won't need to simulate the PSTN via a router/adtran for CCNA-Voice. The easiest solution is to plug the FXO into your home phone line and make calls in/out.
    I currently do not have a standard POTS phone. I do have Vonage... I've seen some posts online about using Vonage with Cisco gear (I believe I saved them to my favorites). Because I don't have a home phone... that's the reason I wanted to simulate a PSTN.
    The 2610... its a while since I worked with a 2610, if it's a plain 2610 (not an xm) it may support voice, but as it only has a 10Mb ethernet interface, so I don't think it supports 'router-on-a-stick' dot1q for multiple VLANs. I've never used one as an access server, but you can use it as a frame-relay switch to simulate the WAN. VIC cards in WIC slots won't work so PSTN may be out for it.

You're correct about the 2610... 10Mb ethernet so no router on a stick. But I already have a FR switch running on a different 2610 with a NM-4A so I'm covered there. I'll continue to use 2610 as an access server, but I've also put a WIC-1T into it and added it to the EIGRP so it has all the necessary routes in it for connectivity to the other routers.
    The 3725... a bit of overkill for CCNA-Voice. But down the line it's great.

Well... I'm probably going to jump directly into the NP/VP studies after I finish my CCNA Voice study, so I was thinking of getting it now and using as a part of my "Voice Lab".
    Once you start your VoIP studies and watch the CBT Nuggets a lot will fall into place, so don't worry about being new to this, I was a year ago. And the sound of dial tone for the first time from an IP phone you have configured is oh so satisfying.icon_cheers.gif

Enjoy!
    Dave

Thanks for your help!! I'm sure I'll be posting lots and lots of questions regarding CCNA Voice & VoIP in general! icon_thumright.gif

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd probably just do the DSPs on one 1760 at this stage for the CCNA-Voice, you can build the other up as time and funds allow...

Without real PSTN.... hmmmmm....

Can't speak for an AdTran, but you'll get a lot of value building your own PSTN from a router when it comes to doing your CCVP.

For CCNA-Voice it would be nice to have PSTN to test with, but its not 100% necessary. You can get by just doing port configuration.

If you're really set on having "PSTN" you could try doing FXS-FXO, or just T1-T1 via cross-over cable, but you'd need the PVDMs for the 2nd router then.

The 3725 is a solid workhorse, I've now pensioned off my 1760s to be used as remote sites and using the 3725 as my HQ.

Always happy to helpicon_cheers.gif

Cheers,
    Dave
  • Options
    After checking with the boss about the VICs/VWICs, we don't have as large of a surplus as I thought... actually, we're very limited (we shipped alot of stuff away). So to avoid having to borrow something and return it, I'm going to purchase my own VICs/VWICs. What I'm looking at purchasing is a VIC-2FXO & VIC-2FXS for now. I think that'll complete my voice lab for now. icon_thumright.gif

-Mayor Cory Booker