Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Well folks, I am think I am strongly leaning towards jumping on the WGU train. I have previous student loans, but have caught them up to the point that I am able to take out a loan again if I need it. I was considering places like Centriq and Techskills, but the value of WGU is just too big too ignore. I don't make a lot of income in the job that I am in, with our family income, I will qualify for the max amount for a Pell Grant, which for the whole year is 5500. Since WGU will be slightly over 6000 for a whole year, I can either work extra and pay out of pocket, or if I do have to borrow it will be a minimal amount. I am digging up my financial info and should be ready to apply here in the next few days, if someone wants to refer me that would be fantastic! I am leaning towards the IT Security Program, or maybe the Network Admin. track. Any advice on the pros/cons of both of those?
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just my opinion but it really boils down to what you want to do in the future.
    Security Pro: Cisco certs Con: To really learn Cisco, it's best to have a physical lab (Browse through Cisco CCNA threads as some people will argue you can "get by" with some on-line labs) which is $$$ intensive
    Network Admin Pro: MCITP:SA/EA and full set of CompTIA certs Con: Unless you're already working in IT you may graduate with no "real world" experience and have a BSIT working help desk (which could also apply to security)
    If you want a referral PM me
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Does cisco live equipment lab time equate to experience?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    Does cisco live equipment lab time equate to experience?

Cisco any kind of training or lab counts as experience. Trust me when you do Cisco it is so much different then any other world. Cisco is not a job it is a life style.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Did some looking at MBA programs today, including, :: gulp :: Texas A&M. Yeah, I know, it's not IT, but it is relevant for folks wanting to continue on after schools like WGU.

Some will say "told you so", but I didn't realize until I dug in how picky some of these schools are. Some expect 3.7+GPAs in the last 60 units, for example. Most, though, really don't say much about the bachelor's degree itself-- it's more about the total package the student brings to the program. I imagine they could use the source of the bachelor's as an excuse not to admit someone or look for another excuse because of that, but if you're a stellar candidate and approach them directly those prejudices might not be huge barriers.

As for A&M:
    The Full-Time MBA Program from Texas A&M's Mays Business School is highly selective, admitting approximately 25 percent of applicants each year.

The admissions committee reviews applicants in the following areas:

* a minimum of two years of full-time work experience, with management experience
    * competitive GMAT scores (50th percentile or higher for verbal and quantitative sections)
    * completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with strong academic performance in the last 60 hours
    * performance during the personal interview process (interviews are by invitation only)
    * demonstrated leadership, academic and professional potential
    * For international students, TOEFL scores above a minimum of 600 on the paper test or 250 on the computerized version. If presenting the TOEFL iBT, a score of 100 is required. As an alternative to the TOEFL, international students may present the IELTS with a score of 7 or higher

Notice that it says "accredited" degree. it doesn't say "regionally" or "nationally". The degree isn't even the first item on the list. I'd say if you have everything else covered, you can apply without feeling inadequate if you have a WGU or even, (heaven help us) a UoP degree.

For my purposes, I think a lesser-known (preferably AACSB) MBA will be fine and I'd fare OK with the WGU degree getting in as long as I do well on the GMAT. I don't know if there's any guarantee of immediate return on investment for a $40,000+ MBA. For other master's programs, e.g. MS-IT, your mileage may vary. (In fact, now that WGU's MSISA program has some NSA backing, it might get a very nice return on investment.)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    <<<just read about the Google integration

Who knew about this? lol
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jahsoul wrote: »
    <<<just read about the Google integration

Who knew about this? lol

Google Integration?
    Google Integration?
    They are using a lot of google tools and our my.wgu.edu will essentially be gmail accounts.
    They are using a lot of google tools and our my.wgu.edu will essentially be gmail accounts.

I'm going to like that! Neat!
    I'm going to like that! Neat!
    https://sites.google.com/a/wgu.edu/wgumail/home

I was pretty excited by reading that too. Our current email setup is poo..lol. And I love they are going to google calendar. icon_cheers.gif
  • b4rlandb4rland Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wanted to get some input as to how long the CCNA security and the MCITP EA programs would take. Also what are the different career paths for each program? I have over 10 years experience working on computers: repair, troubleshooting, small networks 2 or 3 computers. No experience with servers. Most of my Gen. Ed. requirements should transfer. But I do not have any certs. I think I'll be able to do A+ and Network+ very quickly. Please provide input as to what I should expect time wise and level of difficulty. I will spend 15hrs per week on the program. Thanks in advance for your input. By program I mean BSIT.
    Good to see WGU is doing something to improve their e-mail system. Maybe I'll have less problems ul'ing my assessment reports in the future.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    earweed wrote: »
    Good to see WGU is doing something to improve there e-mail system. Maybe I'll have less problems ul'ing my assessment reports in the future.

Yea, I never used the sorry excuse for webmail that they had. I just added the account into into my Mac Mail client and used that instead.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre

I was pretty excited by reading that too. Our current email setup is poo..lol. And I love they are going to google calendar. icon_cheers.gif

Any idea on when this is going to happen?

edit: I didn't look close enough, it's effective May 19th!
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360

Sweet, that will work awesome with my Google Droid :D
    CCNP :study:
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    fly351 wrote: »
    Sweet, that will work awesome with my Google Droid :D

+1 That is exactly what I first though when I saw the transition :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
    I am going to apply to WGU hopefully at the end of this week or beginning of next. I need to dig up my tax paperwork, finalize my student loan eligibility, and have everything lined up to apply for a pell grant before I apply. Anyone wanna give me a referral?

I am still debating between the Security focus and the Network Admin focus. They both have pros and cons, and I think I would be happy doing either job.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions and who made comments. I look forward to posting questions and starting threads in the various sub forums as my schooling gets underway, I am sure I will have questions, and the community here seems great!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    Courses Transferred:
    Courses needed:

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Glad to see or maybe I did not notice but they changed the certs for the masters in information assurance. Noticed EC-Council certs are lister
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First of all, I would like to take the time out to say hello. I'm a PeopleSoft ERP admin (MS SQL DB 2000 with a Windows 2003 platform [yeah, I know...we're terribly behind]. We're migrating to MS SQL 2005 [yeah I know...Oracle takes time to certify non-Oracle DBs, especially MS...2008 was just certified not too long ago, but we're still going with 2K5 as management feels this is the safe route] and Windows 2008 when we go to the latest PeopleTools set.] I've been doing ERP work for about 7 years now. Been in IT for about 13 years. It's all I know. However....

I'm un-degreed (life happens) and I seriously want to break into IT management. It has always frustrated me that I am making close to $100k, but yet not have sheepskin to my name. The only thing I got is A+/Network+ that I got at the end of 2005, so I'm almost sure I will have to take those again. icon_sad.gif I want to change that, and if WGU is the real deal, and from reading this thread, it seems to be, then I want to give it a shot. I have no problem working hard toward a degree at nights and on weekends during non-working hours. I do a lot of reading in my off time anyway.

I would definitely want opinions about my goals/plans. I definitely want to go to WGU so this thread seems like an appropriate place to ask, especially when I've gone through this terribly long thread (which I found extremely valuable, I might add). The Straighterline info seemed extremely helpful as I will probably start it soon so that I can knock out the Algebra, Stats, English I and II, and Economics I and II before I even apply. Since math is my weakest subject, and it's been years since I took a math course, I will definitely look into mathtutordvd.com for both algebra and statistics.

What I want to know is with amount of years I have in IT in various capacities, will a BS from WGU get me in the door of management? Or will I need a MS on top of that? I would prefer my MS to be from another school that will hopefully not have a problem from a school like WGU (and ideally has an online program...I'm just way too busy for B&M).

In the meantime, I will be getting my paperwork in order for financial aid, transcripts from the schools I did attend, etc. At this point of my life (I'm 32), a degree from an accredited college is pretty much all I can ask for right now.

I definitely would like a PM from any bonafide active TE member for a referral. I'm terribly leery at giving my info to just anyone on the Interwebs, but saving a buck or two does help. I will definitely post here and the other WGU thread if I decide to pull the trigger. Right now, I'm still on the fence and answers to my concerns will definitely help.

Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to TE!
    First off what is your plan for an emphasis? Most of us here who go to WGU are either Network design and Management or Security. I know if you plan on Database WGU does the Oracle cert for that and I've heard that cert is really tough.
    I'll PM you
    Welcome to TE!
    First off what is your plan for an emphasis? Most of us here who go to WGU are either Network design and Management or Security. I know if you plan on Database WGU does the Oracle cert for that and I've heard that cert is really tough.
    I'll PM you

EW,

Thanks for the PM.

After looking at both, I will be focusing on Network Design and Management. Security is going to involve Cisco and NDM will at least be more in-line with what I currently do and hence will (God willing) lead to a faster degree.

I am wondering though if I should hold off on applying until I have done Straighterline classes for some GE courses, OR if I can do Straighterline while I am enrolled? If it's the latter, (and I'm thinking it is) I should probably get the ball rolling so that I can get started. I know that I probably should have waited for this, but I already filled out the FAFSA so that I have loans available (though I want to try to avoid them). I'm hoping maybe I will get some pennies in financial aid, but I probably won't...we'll see though.

Thank you once again.
    I'm not sure but I don't think you can do the straighterline once enrolled, you may want to ask the enrollment counselor about that.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I am wondering though if I should hold off on applying until I have done Straighterline classes for some GE courses, OR if I can do Straighterline while I am enrolled? If it's the latter, (and I'm thinking it is) I should probably get the ball rolling so that I can get started.

Actually, it is the former. I know because I asked if I could take certifications to transfer in while taking classes. As soon as you enroll you cannot transfer in any more classes. Maybe they only meant certifications, you could check to be certain.
    I know that I probably should have waited for this, but I already filled out the FAFSA so that I have loans available (though I want to try to avoid them). I'm hoping maybe I will get some pennies in financial aid, but I probably won't...we'll see though.

Good idea, the sooner you start on the FAFSA the better. The government works at the speed of snail after all.
    I might as well apply then. Quicker I start, quicker I can (hopefully) get this over with. I know I'll be waiting for transcripts and the like.

I'm gonna get ready for work. When I get settled over there, I will do the applying and then make arrangements to get my transcripts from two schools. One will allow me to request it online. The other via snail mail. It's still preferable than going to either location.

If I do make it over to the other side, I will show up on the community thread. I'm terribly excited (and nervous...).
    Well I applied. Did the assessments (Essay, tests about online learning and basic skills).

Now I guess I gotta wait and send transcripts. Will be done with that by tomorrow. But I will be going for the NDM track, hopefully.

UPDATE: Sent my CompTIA cert (may not fly since they're not the latest) and 1 of 2 college transcripts because I was able to order them online since that school goes through the clearinghouse. The other one I'm going to send registered snail mail with a check and address to WGU. In the meantime, my enrollment counselor [nice guy, but I sense he's a bit strung out...] will touch base with me on Monday and will settle on when we'll do the Intake. I passed my assessments and hopefully will know if my FAFSA went through.

One thing I fear is that I probably make too much for significant financial aid. At this point, I'm just looking for a couple of C notes, or something. Anyone here using financial aid?

I can't tell you how excited and nervous I am. Really cool.
  • BendaBenda Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    (I think this is the right place; the two WGU Student Halls aren't as busy as this forum... I still need to introduce myself at those too)

My name is David and I'm starting WGU's BSIT on July 1. I'm going to do the Networks Design and Management track. It's going to get pretty hard, I think; my academic background is not in IT (at a pro level, anyway). Pretty much all the computer and network learning I've had was on the side at my last job, and of course at home with hobbyist level stuff.

Always wanted to get into something tech related, but was always scared off by programming/computer science. After doing some research icon_wink.gif I found that many IT jobs aren't just devleopment-- there are many sysadmin type careers out there. Also, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Stats found that network administrators will continue to be in high demand with something like a 30 percent growth rate in the U.S. from 2008 - 2018.

Well I'm not getting any younger, so here I am. I almost went back to my undergrad alma mater for a second B.S. (this time in CIS/IT) but they wouldn't let me. I guess you can't get two B.S.'s from the same university. I could get another bachelor's, a B.A., but there aren't any B.A.s offered in IT.

So I found WGU, and it looks perfect. This way I can work at an entry-level IT job and study nights; plus my undergrad general studies will hopefully transfer to WGU. And, WGU looks to be much more reputable than other distance-learning schools (which are for-profit for the most part).

tl;dr ?

Hope to see some of you around!
    Benda wrote: »
    (I think this is the right place; the two WGU Student Halls aren't as busy as this forum... I still need to introduce myself at those too)

My name is David and I'm starting WGU's BSIT on July 1. I'm going to do the Networks Design and Management track. It's going to get pretty hard, I think; my academic background is not in IT (at a pro level, anyway). Pretty much all the computer and network learning I've had was on the side at my last job, and of course at home with hobbyist level stuff.

Always wanted to get into something tech related, but was always scared off by programming/computer science. After doing some research icon_wink.gif I found that many IT jobs aren't just devleopment-- there are many sysadmin type careers out there. Also, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Stats found that network administrators will continue to be in high demand with something like a 30 percent growth rate in the U.S. from 2008 - 2018.

Well I'm not getting any younger, so here I am. I almost went back to my undergrad alma mater for a second B.S. (this time in CIS/IT) but they wouldn't let me. I guess you can't get two B.S.'s from the same university. I could get another bachelor's, a B.A., but there aren't any B.A.s offered in IT.

So I found WGU, and it looks perfect. This way I can work at an entry-level IT job and study nights; plus my undergrad general studies will hopefully transfer to WGU. And, WGU looks to be much more reputable than other distance-learning schools (which are for-profit for the most part).

tl;dr ?

Hope to see some of you around!
    Welcome to TE!
    Sounds like you have a good plan, have you already applied? If not you can save the app fee by being referred.
    If your degree is old the gen ed credits may not transfer, WGU just recently changed that. I had gone to a university in the 80's and all of my gen ed transferred except my language because I was able to, at the time, substitute a different class for english comp because of my high ACT scores. Now I believe they have a time limit of, Imay be wrong here, 5 years.
    It depends on when the person you referred finishes EWB. Veritas referred a LOT of people before just one of them finally followed through. I've referred 5 so far and none have even started WGU yet.

Fear not earweed! I am still working on getting my financial aid and transcripts in order. I should be filling out an application in the next day or two, and I plan to try to start on July 1st if the financials can be hammered out by then! I am scared and excited at the same time, and will definitely be studying some in June so I can hit the ground running!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    Courses Transferred:
    Courses needed:

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Benda wrote: »
    . . .

. . .

Good to have you aboard (TE in this context, but good to see you applying for WGU as well!).

The WGU student forums outside TE (I've seen three so far, and there are a few blogs as well with comment links) tend to be populated by very busy folks who don't spend much time in forums. So I can't say I blame anyone for taking a while to respond to posts.

I'm surprised your school wouldn't let you earn a second BS, but then maybe I shouldn't be. There are such a wide variety of school policies out there, so you can find just about any rule if you look hard enough. That is probably a good thing, because if all schools were cookie-cutter we wouldn't have WGU structured the way it is.

Most schools let you complete a second BS, but expect a heavier concentration in whatever emphasis you're pursuing (e.g. 60 credits of pure CS). Or maybe they felt you didn't have the preparatory coursework necessary to pursue the other program. Whatever-- WGU will welcome you anyway.

And given your background, it sounds like WGU may be a good fit. You've got a fair amount of transfer credit and you seem to be a self-motivated individual learner-- I think those two things make the best WGU entrants!! Good luck in your pursuits!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • BendaBenda Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE!
    Sounds like you have a good plan, have you already applied? If not you can save the app fee by being referred.
    If your degree is old the gen ed credits may not transfer, WGU just recently changed that. I had gone to a university in the 80's and all of my gen ed transferred except my language because I was able to, at the time, substitute a different class for english comp because of my high ACT scores. Now I believe they have a time limit of, Imay be wrong here, 5 years.

Unfortunately I had already applied before I found this forum. Too bad referral would've been nice.

Yeah I'm waiting with bated breath on the whole transcript thing. Only thing left really, that and the intake interview.

Can't wait to start building my home lab... if I build a new machine and repurpose my old one and my parents' old ones it should work out. I'm also looking into putting together a VMWare ESXi whitebox and virtualizing a whole lab. I'm not quite sure how that works with licenses, though. I know WGU is a member of Microsoft's deal where I can get Server 2008, Exchange, etc for free, but I don't see any client OSs on the list. I'll cross that bridge when I get there! Speaking of bridges, I think I need to get a switch which supports VLANs, one for learning how to configure those, and two so I can keep my lab network separate from my house computer(s).