one question about FXS & FXO card ..

pakidevilpakidevil Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm new this field so i came up with this question ;) .. i have 2801 ( with PDVM module installed ) .. what if i don't install fxs and fxo cards in my router ... can i still ESTABLISH the communication between 2 IP Phones in the same subnet .. i'm not calling outside or interested in connecting Analog devices .... i have not tried yet but i think... there shouldn't be any issue .. any thoughts ... ???

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sure, you don't need DSP resources for VoIP to VoIP calls unless you're planning on using different codecs (not likely).

You will need them for VoIP to analog connectivity (FXS, FXO, E&M, voice T1/E1 CAS, T1/E1 CCS, and so on). You'll also need them for things like conferencing and transcoding.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    pakidevil wrote: »
    I'm new this field so i came up with this question ;) .. i have 2801 ( with PDVM module installed ) .. what if i don't install fxs and fxo cards in my router ... can i still ESTABLISH the communication between 2 IP Phones in the same subnet .. i'm not calling outside or interested in connecting Analog devices .... i have not tried yet but i think... there shouldn't be any issue .. any thoughts ... ???
    Did you get the email I sent you on the weekend?
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • pakidevilpakidevil Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @ Mike,
    thanks very much man ... i got email from you over the weekend .. sorry for not replying to your email on time but Thanks again ... now, i know where to go for the HELP :) ... one day ... i will be a pro in this area as well ... :)
    Internal calls don't need any analogue cards/pdvm, you'll may need some to help pursue the cert though.

FXO ports are cool. I have my voice router connected to a SIP gateway and the local PSTN exchange using an FXO port. It's configured to do some least cost routing - local and national calls through the PSTN network. International calls go via SIP. Saves loads of money on calls.

@ Mike,
    Your notes on CCNA Voice are simply AWESOME ( A brief history of... ) ... Great contribution ... keep it up ... one thing .. about international calls and routing .. where should i start ... or topics, i need to concentrate ... thanks ..
    @ Mike,
    Your notes on CCNA Voice are simply AWESOME ( A brief history of... ) ... Great contribution ... keep it up ... one thing .. about international calls and routing .. where should i start ... or topics, i need to concentrate ... thanks ..
    Trunking and dial peers, they allow you to get calls out of the CME into the PSTN and SIP providers. You would set a "destination-pattern" in each dial peer which basically would match the number dialed sending the call out the correct dial peer.

In my opinion they are the most interesting topics in CCNA:V.

oke .. i'm able to Establish link between my 2 IP phones and they RING, if i try to call from other IP PHONE ... Also, I have not installed FXO and FXS cards yet .. now the Problem .... when i call and pick up the other phone .. all i hear is weird noise ( like static noise ) plus .. NO TONE .. should i be hearing any TONE ... let me know, if you need to know anything else .. looking forward to your reply ... :)
    oke .. i'm able to Establish link between my 2 IP phones and they RING, if i try to call from other IP PHONE ... Also, I have not installed FXO and FXS cards yet .. now the Problem .... when i call and pick up the other phone .. all i hear is weird noise ( like static noise ) plus .. NO TONE .. should i be hearing any TONE ... let me know, if you need to know anything else .. looking forward to your reply ... :)
    Have you got Cisco IP Communicator softphone. It may be worth adding it to the mix to help rule out a phone hardware issue.

oke... everything is working oke .. now i have heard that you can place cheap international calls via voip ( cisco routers, ip phones ) ... just want to get some idea .. how this thing work .. any hint or idea would be great .. thanks again .. i appreciate ... :D
  • tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check out magic Jack, just connect to FXO port, and configure up, you will also need a PC running with internet access to get the call out.
    ICND1 - Passed March 19/2010
    ICND2 - Passed April 8/2010
    not interested in magic jack .. i want calls going through my voip router ...
    not interested in magic jack .. i want calls going through my voip router ...
    I used sipgate as a voip provider for external calls. Works well.

Configuring SIP on the router was a challenge though to get it all working correctly.

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    Sure, you don't need DSP resources for VoIP to VoIP calls unless you're planning on using different codecs (not likely).

You will need them for VoIP to analog connectivity (FXS, FXO, E&M, voice T1/E1 CAS, T1/E1 CCS, and so on). You'll also need them for things like conferencing and transcoding.

TE, sorry to open an old thread, but I was doing some searching on multiple forums and Cisco's site directly. I'm a bit confused, but I think that the above quote may be my answer... I'm looking for clarification.

On my 1760 routers, I have a VIC-2FXS & a VIC-2FXO installed. The show diag recognizes both cards and lists them in their correct VIC slots on the router, however, the show version does not list the interfaces as being installed. According to Cisco's website, the cards should be displayed. I'm wondering if this is because I do not have any DSPs installed on the 1760. Can someone clarify for me if I need DSPs before the VIC-2FXS or VIC-2FXO card will be recognized by the various show commands? I've also run the show voice summary command and that too returns just the header fields but no voice port information. icon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gif Any assistance is greatly appreciated. If you need me to post any configs/show outputs, I can do that once I get back home. Thanks in advanced...

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm wondering if this is because I do not have any DSPs installed on the 1760. Can someone clarify for me if I need DSPs before the VIC-2FXS or VIC-2FXO card will be recognized by the various show commands?
    No PVDMs -- no analog voice ports. So yes, you need DSP resources (PVDMs) to use the FXS/FXO cards.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Mikej412 bowing.gif,

I've also been looking at this thread regarding DSP Resources. I can purchase the PVDM-12 for my 1760 and get the FXS/FXO ports working? Thanks again
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker