TUC - Resources?

pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
Not a whole lot of TUC exam specific resources out there. I've got the following lined up - anything else that I should add?

Cisco Press - Troubleshooting Cisco IP Telephony. More of an encyclopedia of TAC break/fix incidents than a cover-to-cover read - It's an awesome resource (I've used it to bail myself out a few times) but tough to study from - might be good to drill down on specific topics.

Troubleshooting Guide for Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Release 7.1 - Cisco.com

Cisco Press TUC Quick Reference Sheets

CBT Nuggets TUC Series - (already been through them once)

I have an INE account as well with access to the CoDs but since the TUC CBT Nuggets have been recently updated I'll probably just stick with them.

Anything else/thoughts?
CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT

Comments

• FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »

Cisco Press TUC Quick Reference Sheets

Anything else/thoughts?

FYI, some co-workers of mine that have taken TUC said the Quick Reference Sheets are nearly worthless.
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    You should be good with all of those resources...

But the best book I have found after passing my CCVP was the Cisco Press - Troubleshooting Cisco IP Telephony. I can still come back to that book and learn something. Version 2 of that book is about to come out, I have been waiting on it for a while..
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You should be good with all of those resources...

But the best book I have found after passing my CCVP was the Cisco Press - Troubleshooting Cisco IP Telephony. I can still come back to that book and learn something. Version 2 of that book is about to come out, I have been waiting on it for a while..

I agree - I actually carry the troubleshooting book around with me in the car (until I cave and get an ebook reader - probably the 3G iPad once it's jailbroken). Something is fishy about the v2 book release date – After months on pre-order Amazon cancelled my reservation and a quick email to Cisco Press stated that the book was not in the works at this time?? Hopefully it’s just delayed.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    INE aside thats pretty much what I've got in terms of resources. Any ideas when your looking to take it??
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    I'm shooting for the 3rd week in May - I have a little holiday planned for the end of May and it would be sweet as hell to go away as a CCVP even if I have to have 0 life between now and then! Material doesn't seem too bad. I ended up spending a few loooong weeks working out of town which put a bit of a damper on my studies but I'm back in full swing now. It was a nice feeling to rip out a bunch of Shoretel PBXs though :)
    Found some free "Quick Learning Modules" on the Cisco certification portal last night which seem pretty good - You need to login to view them:

Quick Learning Modules
    The following Quick Learning Modules are focused on a specific lesson or topic from the current TUC curriculum.

Gathering Information for Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting Common Gateway Registration Issues

Troubleshooting Common Cisco Unity Integration Issues
    good find cheers for the links icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    Nice! I have the 7.0 and 4.2 troubleshooting guides printed out - the older one I'm trying to cover the sections mentioned in the exam blueprint. the case studies are pretty interesting.

So far I would say the best (complete) resource seems to be the CBT Nuggets.

The quick reference sheets are good bathroom reading material :)
    left-arrow-purple.gif

:)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great job!

Next up CCIE: Voice?
    Thanks guys!
    knwminus wrote: »
    Next up CCIE: Voice?

I'm going to take a little hiatus for the summer (at least a month or 2) then maybe ramp back up for the voice written. Not sure if I'll be in a position to make a run for the lab yet - but I already used the possibility as an excuse to upgrade my lab switches to 3560 POEs :)
    Nice one buddy, I figured you must be on the verge of taking it, I was almost set to ping you to find out when. icon_smile.gif

ps mutter grumble, im not realy jealous lol
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations indeed icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_cheers.gif CONGRATS!!!! icon_thumright.gif
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well done, how long did the whole VP track take you?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    Well done, how long did the whole VP track take you?

23 months with CCNA:V(IIUC) and CCNA:S mxed in. Wow, seems like it was yesterday!!
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was thinking about something last night. We have very different tracks in mind (your voice and my security) but you cert list looks similar to what I want to do (CCNA:S(done), CCDA CCSP). I noticed that you don't have (or haven't listed) a CCNP. Do you think that not getting the CCNP has hurt you in any way?

I want to specialize in security but I am wondering if a CCSP w/o a CCNP will still be as strong as a CCSP and CCNP. I know that I can learn the CCNP material but I am more concerned about the HR drones. Have you run into any issues because of HR people? I have read the threads in the various cisco forums posted by mike that state if you have the chance to do the CCXP (anything besides the CCNP) go for but I wanted to get you perspective. Do you plan on going back and picking up the CCNP before you do the CCIE lab?
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was thinking about something last night. We have very different tracks in mind (your voice and my security) but you cert list looks similar to what I want to do (CCNA:V, CCDA CCSP). I noticed that you don't have (or haven't listed) a CCNP. Do you think that not getting the CCNP has hurt you in any way?

I want to specialize in security but I am wondering if a CCSP w/o a CCNP will still be as strong as a CCSP and CCNP. I know that I can learn the CCNP material but I am more concerned about the HR drones. Have you run into any issues because of HR people? I have read the threads in the various cisco forums posted by mike that state if you have the chance to do the CCXP (anything besides the CCNP) go for but I wanted to get you perspective. Do you plan on going back and picking up the CCNP before you do the CCIE lab?

Seems to me a CCSP/VP and CCNP are all different animals for different employment opportunities.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    Seems to me a CCSP/VP and CCNP are all different animals for different employment opportunities.

I'd agree with this too some extent, but what I've found is if you have the VP or SP it's assumed by others (and hopefully by experience) that you have the understanding of the NP. Certainly in the VP track your expected to understand R&S and in fact need too in the real world. I can't imagine the SP being that much diferent.

The HR bods are looking for anything\everything as they rarely understand the difference between any of the professional certs. Most of the jobs tend to rattle them all off including IE as a catch all.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to go for NP after I get the VP if I go for the IE voice, I may be tempted to go for the IE written R&S at some point a big leap maybe but no less achievable.
    I was thinking about something last night. We have very different tracks in mind (your voice and my security) but you cert list looks similar to what I want to do (CCNA:V, CCDA CCSP). I noticed that you don't have (or haven't listed) a CCNP. Do you think that not getting the CCNP has hurt you in any way?

I’m lucky enough to be in a position where my certification path has been dictated by my career path (and not the other way around). While I do plan on working on the CCNP, right now my primary focus/job responsibilities pertain to voice. That’s not to say that I don’t have CCNP "type" knowledge in the areas that I need to. If I run into something out of the ordinary, I’ll typically research it (on my own time) or phone a friend (or post here :) ). My CCNP friends have no problems calling me with voice related issues!

So in my particular case, I would say no – It hasn’t hurt me at all but someone else’s miles may vary. One thing to keep in mind is the more certs that you have on your resume, the more you’re opening yourself up to being drilled with questions from multiple tracks come interview time - so if you don’t have the relevant CCNP experience right now, then focus on your passion (which sounds like Security).
    it's assumed by others (and hopefully by experience) that you have the understanding of the NP.

yep, agreed 100%
  • FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congs first!

knwminus brought up a valid point. There are high-pay jobs that require both CCVP+CCNP (title: Telecom or network engineer, focused on voice). Unfortunately, I am a CCVP with only CCNA R+S because the whole server/network/firewall management....is outsourced to a vendor.

But based on my 2-month job hunting, pure CCVP experience (CallManager, gateways, H.323, SIP, MGCP...) is good enough to pass most HR or recuritors. There are not many openings though. :D
    Hey buddy, are you working in a Cisco partner? I feel that's the only type of employers to actively encourage/push us to finish CCIE.

I’m lucky enough to be in a position where my certification path has been dictated by my career path (and not the other way around). While I do plan on working on the CCNP, right now my primary focus/job responsibilities pertain to voice. That’s not to say that I don’t have CCNP "type" knowledge in the areas that I need to. If I run into something out of the ordinary, I’ll typically research it (on my own time) or phone a friend (or post here :) ). My CCNP friends have no problems calling me with voice related issues!

So in my particular case, I would say no – It hasn’t hurt me at all but someone else’s miles may vary. One thing to keep in mind is the more certs that you have on your resume, the more you’re opening yourself up to being drilled with questions from multiple tracks come interview time - so if you don’t have the relevant CCNP experience right now, then focus on your passion (which sounds like Security).
    Flyingput wrote: »
    Hey buddy, are you working in a Cisco partner? I feel that's the only type of employers to actively encourage/push us to finish CCIE.

Unfortunately no – Certs are all on me (I get reimbursed for test fees only).
    Unfortunately no – Certs are all on me (I get reimbursed for test fees only).

Same here, :D I am in-house too.

Our director gave me green light all the way to CCVP. But after that, no positive feedback on the possible CCIE route.
    Of course not! That would mean CCIE money and a good chance that you would walk after all was said and done!
    exactly. That's why I am looking for some new opportunities.

ha, just realized you and I went on the almost same route: CCNA R+S, CCNA V (I got IPTX) and CCVP.
    left-arrow-purple.gif

:)

I couldnt resist re-using this.

I passed TUC today just got home, now I can relax and enjoy a nice long weekend ahead, off today and public holiday on Monday

Wooohoooo Now the hard work begins lol