Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• BendaBenda Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    Good to have you aboard (TE in this context, but good to see you applying for WGU as well!).

The WGU student forums outside TE (I've seen three so far, and there are a few blogs as well with comment links) tend to be populated by very busy folks who don't spend much time in forums. So I can't say I blame anyone for taking a while to respond to posts.

I'm surprised your school wouldn't let you earn a second BS, but then maybe I shouldn't be. There are such a wide variety of school policies out there, so you can find just about any rule if you look hard enough. That is probably a good thing, because if all schools were cookie-cutter we wouldn't have WGU structured the way it is.

Most schools let you complete a second BS, but expect a heavier concentration in whatever emphasis you're pursuing (e.g. 60 credits of pure CS). Or maybe they felt you didn't have the preparatory coursework necessary to pursue the other program. Whatever-- WGU will welcome you anyway.

And given your background, it sounds like WGU may be a good fit. You've got a fair amount of transfer credit and you seem to be a self-motivated individual learner-- I think those two things make the best WGU entrants!! Good luck in your pursuits!
    Thanks petedude, I'm really excited. I was kind of bummed my undergrad wouldn't let me attend for a second B.S. (they did refund my application fee, though, which was nice). I'm thinking that policy is a result of it being a public uni. Maybe, who knows.

I'm looking forward to WGU, though. I think it'll work better than a brick-and-mortar school for my current living situation.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Benda wrote: »
    Unfortunately I had already applied before I found this forum. Too bad referral would've been nice.

Yeah I'm waiting with bated breath on the whole transcript thing. Only thing left really, that and the intake interview.

Can't wait to start building my home lab... if I build a new machine and repurpose my old one and my parents' old ones it should work out. I'm also looking into putting together a VMWare ESXi whitebox and virtualizing a whole lab. I'm not quite sure how that works with licenses, though. I know WGU is a member of Microsoft's deal where I can get Server 2008, Exchange, etc for free, but I don't see any client OSs on the list. I'll cross that bridge when I get there! Speaking of bridges, I think I need to get a switch which supports VLANs, one for learning how to configure those, and two so I can keep my lab network separate from my house computer(s).
    Clients you get XP/Vista/7(32 and 64 bit) My home lab is mostly just set up on my home PC in VMWare workstaition (free from WGU) Virtual is the way to go when labbing for the 2k8 and client classes.
    This'll give you an idea of where to start if building your own box http://www.ultimatewhitebox.com/
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    It depends on when the person you referred finishes EWB. Veritas referred a LOT of people before just one of them finally followed through. I've referred 5 so far and none have even started WGU yet.

I promise you, earweed, I will definitely let you and everyone know when I start. I am personally debating whether to start on July 1, or August 1. Some non-financial logistics I have to work out. :)
    No rush erpadmin. I was just telling the earlier poster how it worked.
    Most of my referrals are waiting for other things too such as getting more certs before starting and some are taking straighterline classes prior to starting. As far as taking cert classes before starting I don't really see the point as the cert test cost is included in students tuition. For the CompTIA certs this adds up to some serious savings if they wait until starting WGU.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Clients you get XP/Vista/7(32 and 64 bit) My home lab is mostly just set up on my home PC in VMWare workstaition (free from WGU) Virtual is the way to go when labbing for the 2k8 and client classes.
    This'll give you an idea of where to start if building your own box Ultimate VMWare ESX Whitebox

You know, I had to google what a "white box" was...I had no idea that a DIY-box had that for a name. I've built a good number of them when I was a kid, but sometimes they were "black boxes" instead of the ugly white. But I guess the color of the case is irrelevant...lmao. Learn something new every day.
  • BendaBenda Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This'll give you an idea of where to start if building your own box Ultimate VMWare ESX Whitebox

I just realized I've never been excited for work/schoolwork/"drudgery" in a long long time (if ever). I'm all a-twitter. Thanks for the info!
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Benda wrote: »
    I just realized I've never been excited for work/schoolwork/"drudgery" in a long long time (if ever). I'm all a-twitter. Thanks for the info!

Took me a while to get there as i had to think it over before diving in, but the last week before my start date i was raring to go!!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    I have a silly question. Would any of you go to the "graduation" in Salt Lake City? I would imagine commencement would be terribly tiny, but they do offer it. I figure I could do Vegas immediately afterwards to celebrate. LMAO.

The only reason I would consider it is to have my parents there as I'd be the first one in my family with a degree. That's the only pro.
    It's actually not that tiny, and I'm considering it. I'll skip Vegas, went there once and didn't really like it (not a gambler and don't drink so what is there left, Wayne Newton?)lol
    February 2010 Commencement | Western Governors University Graduation Live Video
  • wayers22wayers22 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I take my Sec+ exam on June 5th, this will give me all of my CompTIA certs before transferring to WGU.

Should I hold out another month and a half and go ahead and get the Windows 7 cert as well? I am anxious to go ahead and start WGU, so I'm leaning towards just going ahead and enrolling in July.

I also noticed on WGU's site the following two links:
    Transfer Credit Evaluation - For Student who Began WGU on or after March 1, 2010 Transfer Credit Evaluation - For Students who Begin WGU on or after July 1 2010
    I dont notice anything different in the two. I currently have an AAS in Computer Technology, do you see anything different about the two that would affect me? Any advice is appreciated.
    Cansomeone else check to see if those links are working?
    Cansomeone else check to see if those links are working?

Sorry, the links arent working. Go to www.wgu.edu/sh and click on the records and transcripts link.
    I went there, looks pretty much the same. They corrected some of the stuff that was messed up. I also think people with an AAS get less if they transfer in. I did just notice that for the Net+ it isn't how long ago you got the cert but it must be 2009, I thought the cert just had to be within 5 years.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wayers22 wrote: »
    I take my Sec+ exam on June 5th, this will give me all of my CompTIA certs before transferring to WGU.

Should I hold out another month and a half and go ahead and get the Windows 7 cert as well? I am anxious to go ahead and start WGU, so I'm leaning towards just going ahead and enrolling in July.

I also noticed on WGU's site the following two links:
    Transfer Credit Evaluation - For Student who Began WGU on or after March 1, 2010 Transfer Credit Evaluation - For Students who Begin WGU on or after July 1 2010
    I dont notice anything different in the two. I currently have an AAS in Computer Technology, do you see anything different about the two that would affect me? Any advice is appreciated.

Why not enroll, they pay for the exams and you can work on your other work as well.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    Why not enroll, they pay for the exams and you can work on your other work as well.
    True, doing the CompTIA certs are $$$ and the cert test is included with tuition. Some people from here like Veritas and Hyper-me have been blazing through there classes at WGU so far. They've been finding that the gened classes aren't that hard to get through quickly. The pace you set is up to you at WGU.
    I know a lot of people who blazed through 30+ units every term. I'm aiming for 27 this term myself.
    True, doing the CompTIA certs are $$$ and the cert test is included with tuition. Some people from here like Veritas and Hyper-me have been blazing through there classes at WGU so far. They've been finding that the gened classes aren't that hard to get through quickly. The pace you set is up to you at WGU.
    I know a lot of people who blazed through 30+ units every term. I'm aiming for 27 this term myself.

True, but it's going to be nice going into WGU knowing I have all the comptia certs in the bag. It will save a lot of time as well... IMO. 24 credits off the bat, not counting my AAS degree (which I dont expect much from).

Speaking of my AAS, how many credits have others acquired by transferring it in?
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Does the CCNA help at all in the network design and management course? I know my A+ and Net+ will, but its a networking degree my CCNA has to be worth SOMETHING. I'm waiting for my advisor to call me >.> like usual.

Help as in CU's.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    It would have covered for the Net+ class but you already have it, is your Net+ 2009, if not then the CCNA will help you out. The Net+ has to be the 2009 version to transfer is what the guidelines say.
    When are you planning to start?
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    wayers22 wrote: »
    True, but it's going to be nice going into WGU knowing I have all the comptia certs in the bag. It will save a lot of time as well... IMO. 24 credits off the bat, not counting my AAS degree (which I dont expect much from).. . .

For wayers and other AAS potential transfer students, I have another idea. . .

Try taking the CLEP Principles of Management and/or DSST Organizational Behavior and see if they'll transfer in. These may be cheaper than taking CompTIA exams, and I imagine most TE'ers could pass the CLEP in two to three weeks. These exams will cost you $90 plus a testing fee, and whatever a used book/practice exams will cost you. The most maddening part would be waiting for the transcripts, as you'd probably have them sent to WGU after the test.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Has anyone been to WGU on Military TA? I hear it can be a problem, as WGU is a non-LOI college (I don't understand how they allow a school to be socmar, but it has problems with TA, but anyway..).

Also, I don't know if I should enroll at WGU now, and just transfer i my current certs, SMARTS, and ARRTS transcripts, or if I should wait and take a few CLEP classes to get rid of those worthless GE classes.
    You could look into straighterline for some of your GE classes, too. The gened classes,from what I hear, go very quick at WGU. The ones I took I blew through (except the research paper writing class)
  • TheDailyMelTheDailyMel Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone. I'm in the process of getting enrolled at WGU and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Melissa and I live in southern California. I'm currently working in IT (senior network systems support) in the aerospace industry. I never finished my degree when I was a kid, but I've been working in IT for the past 22 years as both network admin and support. I'm now in line for a promotion into management with my current employer, so I decided it's a good time to finish up my degree (BSIT). Once that's completely, I then hope to start working on my Masters (MBA-ITM).

I've already applied and passed the assessment at WGU. I'm still waiting on my transcripts from my two previous schools to arrive and be evaluated. From an initial conversation with Scott, my enrollment advisor, I think I'll have most of my GenEd stuff knocked out already. I'm also in the process of submitting all the paperwork for tuition reimbursement through my employer, but those wheels can sometimes turn slowly. If all goes well, I hope to start classes on July 1. crossfingers.gif

I currently hold a couple of certifications, but neither of them apply toward my degree. I have a Support Center Team Lead certification from HDI, and I'm also an Apple Certified Support Professional. I'm currently studying for my A+ certification and really want to try and knock it out before starting classes in July, if possible. Of course, I'm also doing a half marathon in 2 weeks with Team in Training for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, so that has me a bit preoccupied at the moment. icon_lol.gif

I guess that's it for now. I'm really looking forward to getting started at WGU and getting connected with other students in the IT program. :)
    Melissa
    BSIT - started July 1, 2010
    In Progress: TEV1, TTV1
    Completed: EWB2
    Transfer Credits: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1
    Welcome to TE!
    Hope you enjoy your experience at WGU
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I currently hold a couple of certifications, but neither of them apply toward my degree. I have a Support Center Team Lead certification from HDI, and I'm also an Apple Certified Support Professional. I'm currently studying for my A+ certification and really want to try and knock it out before starting classes in July, if possible. Of course, I'm also doing a half marathon in 2 weeks with Team in Training for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, so that has me a bit preoccupied at the moment. icon_lol.gif

Welcome Melissa! Finishing off the A+ will remove two classes from your degree program so that is a good plan. If you can finish off any other certifications before starting do it, it's well worth it :)
  • TheDailyMelTheDailyMel Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the welcome, everyone. :)

Veritas - I like the no place like home in your sig. I have that as a bumper sticker on my car. icon_wink.gif
    Melissa
    BSIT - started July 1, 2010
    In Progress: TEV1, TTV1
    Completed: EWB2
    Transfer Credits: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1
  • lrm289lrm289 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    anyone here having problems logging into the new student portal
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    lrm289 wrote: »

I keeps going up and down for me. They are migrating everything over so you might experience some down time.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lrm289 wrote: »
    Yep. I've been trying for about half an hour now. It's been intermittent problems for me over the last few days. At least all of my old e-mails are in my new gmail account now.
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
    My mail still hasn't migrated. I have 1-1/2 years worth.
    Site is still really slow logging on too.