passsed CVOICE

FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed CVOICE in the high 900s.

First off, let me say, this exam is somewhat unfair. It appears to be pulling a certain amount of content/questions from the previous generation (642-435) CVOICE Quick Reference Sheets, the GWGK Quick Reference Sheets and the book "Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers". In other words, after they dropped the GWGK exam, they just moved some content/questions over to the new CVOICE exam. That is my impression. You could have the entire CVOICE 642-436 book and 642-436 Quick Reference Sheets memorized and not answer a few of the questions.

I had the old CVOICE (642-435) Quick Reference Sheets because I accidentally bought them when I first got my Amazon Kindle--I meant to buy the new ones but got the old ones--Amazon was selling both for some reason. I also wasn't satisfied with the Gatekeeper coverage in the CBT Nuggets CVOICE series, so I also watched the CBT Nuggets GWGK series.

So what I used for studying:

1) 4 Analog Telephones
2) 4 Cisco 2811 routers with a mix of VIC2-2FXS, VIC2-2FXO, VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1, VWIC-1MTF-T1, WIC-1T, PVDM2-8 and PVDM2-16.
3) 3 Catalyst 3550 PoE
4) 3 Catalyst 2950 EMI
5) Cisco Voice over IP (CVOICE), Third Ed. (read twice)
6) CCVP CVOICE Quick Reference (current version for 642-436) (read once)
7) CCVP CVOICE Quick Reference (previous version for 642-435) (read once on a long flight)
icon_cool.gif CBT Nuggets CVOICE videos (watched twice)
9) CBT Nuggets GWGK videos (watched once)
10) Cisco CVOICE6 Student Guide Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 (reviewed once)
11) Cisco CVOICE6 Lab Guide (used as basis for labs using #1-#4)

On to CIPT1---got three CUCM7 servers operational under VMWare with six 7940/7960 phones, finished the old CBT Nuggets CIPT41 videos and I'm about 1/2 the way through the new CBT Nuggets CIPT1 videos.

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That is a nice lab, and congrats on the pass!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS... good write up! Awesome lab as well! Good luck with your future studies...
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Congrats! I remember it being a tricky exam :D
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    FattyAcid wrote: »
    It appears to be pulling a certain amount of content/questions from the previous generation (642-435) CVOICE Quick Reference Sheets, the GWGK Quick Reference Sheets and the book "Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers". In other words, after they dropped the GWGK exam, they just moved some content/questions over to the new CVOICE exam. That is my impression.

Yep -- that about sums up what I figured out looking at the blueprints when they made the last big changes. This was one change where someone with the "old CVOICE" and the "mix 'n match" option to accomplish the CCVP could wind up with a gap in their knowledge if they didn't do the GWGK exam. Some of the stuff that looks like it got dropped was the GWGK Service Provider stuff -- nice to know but not that important for Enterprise Voice.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good job!

VERY jealous on your 4 2811 gateways! (come on, it's about CCVP not CCNP, :D)

By the way, what is Cisco CVOICE6 Lab Guide?
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!!!! I agree on the assessment - should have been called the mostly GWGK exam!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Flyingput wrote: »
    what is Cisco CVOICE6 Lab Guide?
    The official courseware for the official class is the 2 volume Student Guide and the Lab Guide.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations...icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

Passed mine last month. Agree totally, it was a bit of a hybrid between the the old and new CVoice and old Gateway/GateKeeper exams.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Congrats icon_smile.gif and totally agree with comment on this exam being a hybrid.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The official courseware for the official class is the 2 volume Student Guide and the Lab Guide.

Thanks Mike! I am always curious on any lab guide and have collected quite some.... :D