Options

What lab books to use for new CCNP?

SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
I noticed there aren't any lab books for the new CCNP track

does that mean I should use the old BSCI and BCMSN, ONT, and ISCW books?
It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I don't have any lab books myself. In fact I don't think I've used any lab books for any of my exams....

From what I hear, the old track is pretty close to the new one so it wouldn't hurt to do it anyways.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    According to Wendell Odom, nearly every topic from ONT and ISCW is gone.

Cisco Announces Changes to CCNP | NetworkWorld.com Community

He also has a few other posts analyzing the new CCNP:

Series Index: The New CCNP (Announced January, 2010) | NetworkWorld.com Community
  • Options
    errtimeerrtime Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i always make my own labs, i do not see the point to buy the CCNP level lab book where the actual tasks are pretty easy and straightforward.
  • Options
    tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not much out at the moment, mostly just the Official Certification Guides. Even all the usual cert companies are scrambling to get some material out.

I think Boson has their new engine slated for mid June and it will contain all the new topics. As was mentioned though, the topics are pretty straight forward and I find the Switch book to be organized well for really getting at the key areas.

For Switch, there is a portable command guide out for it and I found the CCNA one to be quite useful in creating labs. If you have the equipment, those two things should cover it if you are diligent in your learning.

If you don't have the equipment, for the Switch exam, you can get by with about 60% of the content using packet tracer 5.2+ (it doesn't support a lot of the detailed layer 3 switch content even though it has a 3560 in its list) and map out in detail the configuration and process of the concepts it doesn't support.

Past that, you will have to wait till mid summer or end before they come out with many products that will accommodate the learning process.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Or you could use GNS3 or straight dynamips. I used it preparing for my BSCI it could do just about every single thing I needed to lab out. My friend is a CCIE and did his entire CCIE labbing on Dynamips. Other than where he bought some rack time.
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Or you could use GNS3 or straight dynamips.

QFT

I used GNS3 only for my BSCI studies and I got a 930 on the test, with 40 minutes to spare. I don't think I could of done that without GNS3.