VM workstation and Hyper-V

sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
I have ESX set up and running in VMworkstation. It's pretty slick what you can do with this :)

I tried doing the same for Server 2008 R2. While I can install it fine, when I try to add Hyper-V as a feature, it has a fit. I changed the CPU to IntelVT, but that didn't do the trick.

Is there a way to get this running inside VM workstation?

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You can't use the hardware virtualisation features like VT when you're inside a VM. Hyper-V requires you to have it so you're unable to run it within a VM.
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    This is still new to me, so just humor me here..

Why does it work for ESX then? I thought that was the fussiest out of the 2. They don't utilize the same technology?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    sambuca69 wrote: »

Why does it work for ESX then? I thought that was the fussiest out of the 2. They don't utilize the same technology?
    ESX supports hardware virtualisation but it isn't required. You'll need it if you're trying to run a 64 bit guest however but for 32 bit guests, you don't need it.

Hyper-V doesn't give you the choice. If you don't have it then it won't run.
  • ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    sambuca69 wrote: »

Not sure why Hyper-v doesn't allow this, but you can also do this with XenServer pretty sure.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Zaits wrote: »
    Not sure why Hyper-v doesn't allow this, but you can also do this with XenServer pretty sure.
    XenServer shouldn't work either. VMware supports binary translation or hardware virtualization assist (from the CPU) while Xen and Hyper-V only support the latter.